iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

book matched end for end coffee table.  ERC.  cardiologist buddy.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Randy88

Crusarius

That is about the only coffee table I could ever do. I really hate coffee tables but that one looks really kool. Good movie to :)

Bruno of NH

My customer that came from Michigan made this table with one of his students.
His student made the table to give to his mom.
This is one of the yellow birch slabs I sawed from the 40" log I had.
I sold all the slabs,I wish I kept a couple. 

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

Thursday, I traveled out to see a friend/customer. He showed me two of his projects with wood I cut for him.
One is a cherry cabinet he made for his bathroom:

The other is some quarter sawn white pine he used for cabinets in his laundry room of his timber frame house:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ianab

So I had a call from friend today. His Dad was part of a National Rock Carving event in town.  But he hadn't planned on how to display his work. So he calls up his son and says "Can you build me a stand for my rock, by tomorrow"

Harry had all sorts of fine woodworking ideas, but then we got the sketch. He wanted an up market  pallet  :D

OK, it all becomes doable now. He called around and we rough saw some Macrocarpa Cypress so it
fits in his Rav4. Discussed the construction methods, and I told him to pre-drill the holes and use beefy screws.  :D

Couple of hours later, he sends me a pic of the finished masterpiece.  ;D

Not sure how big his rock is, but the runners are 4x4 and the planks are 6x2.  It ain't "fine" woodworking, but it will support a small truck.  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Darrel

It should last a while. It is about the same size as my little front porch and a whole lot stronger. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DWyatt

I expected A LOT bigger stone when I saw the picture of the pallet!

doc henderson

@Ianab I wonder if people will be looking more at the pallet.  looks great.

Quote from: thecfarm on January 24, 2020, 07:47:06 AM
My stones don't look like that!!!

??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\  Oh I got it @cfarm   :) :) :) I thought you meant something else!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

This is the event's web page, lots of pictures in the gallery of the different pieces. It's actually quite cook as they set up in a small park on the foreshore in New Plymouth, and you can just walk past and look at the various pieces taking shape. They use local volcanic basalt rocks, hence most of them favour power tools.  :D

http://www.tekupenga.com/

Raym

Although I didn't saw these, they were sawn by a friend of mine and he passed along my contact info to the lady for drying. She asked if I knew anyone who could make a table for her outdoor kitchen out of the dried lumber. I quickly raised my hand, discussed some design ideas and after showing her some of my previous work, I was commissioned to build this.

They wood was horrible! An old bushed out red oak yard tree that was in the very early stages of rot. Some bad sawing and excessive stress caused me to rip a lot of the wide boards down so that I could flatten them and maintain most of the thickness. There were a lot of voids to fill with epoxy so I decided to screed the entire top to fill the very coarse grain with the same black. The result was stunning!! The table is 4x9, the legs are 3" aluminum tubing powder coated satin black. The finish is waterlox marine finish.

A really nice project. The table now sits only a few feet from where the tree once stood. I love my life!!

Best thing is, there is about 300 bf of material left that I will have more projects once she decides what they will be.

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

alanh

bathroom vanity from red oak, ready to get installed with a granite top, never mind the crooked handles, pic was taken before they were bolted on

doc henderson

i gave some spalted oak from the yard of my wife's aunt Judy.  i have engraved some calls, and milled some wood for a Amish guy who with only a few tools, makes custom turkey and deer calls.  

a slate call with a hedge striker.  AJO (Aunt Judy Oak) body. :D

glass with a turkey feather behind, scratches area for striker.  AJO body and hedge (Osage orange) striker.

mouth calls for deer.  AJO, walnut,hedge and mahogany (I think).

samandothers

Raym,

The top turned out great!  When you poured the epoxy and scraped off the access did you then let it dry and sand it back to the wood top leaving the grain and fill areas exposed?

Did the Waterlox dry and adhere well to the epoxy fill?

The legs are very nice and look great with the finish and top.  Are the screws on one side set in holes and those on the other side set in slots to allow movement?

I am sure the customer was happy the project looks great!

Raym

Quote from: samandothers on February 06, 2020, 09:31:24 AM
Raym,

The top turned out great!  When you poured the epoxy and scraped off the access did you then let it dry and sand it back to the wood top leaving the grain and fill areas exposed?

Did the Waterlox dry and adhere well to the epoxy fill?

The legs are very nice and look great with the finish and top.  Are the screws on one side set in holes and those on the other side set in slots to allow movement?

I am sure the customer was happy the project looks great!
Thanks.....Once the epoxy cured I scraped the entire top with a cabinet scraper. Very little sanding. The heat buildup while sanding worried me especially the small grain filled areas.

The Waterlox did very well. Obviously it didn't absorb into the resin but laid down nicely and there was no flaking after it cured.

Yes on the mounting holes, I allowed for about 1/2 inches of movement. This table sits outside so this was is a big concern
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

caveman

A few weeks ago John and I surfaced some oak slabs that we have had for a while.  They were used to build a bar in a new restaurant somewhere near Port Charlotte.

The woman that did the construction is coming to get more oak this week for another project for another customer.

I sawed a few small cypress logs into 2"x6"s a few weeks ago and a friend of mine, who owns a cabinet shop, built this picnic table out of them.  The table will get branded with several of the area's cattlemen's brands and then will be auctioned off.  It will be a fundraiser for the Polk County Junior Cattlemen.  Neither of us charged anything for our services.  Randy, my friend, reported that the table, which was made from green cypress, is heavy.

Caveman

thecfarm

River Oak.   :D  Looks good!!
Have not read this thread for a while.
All of the wood projects look good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I bet those bar tops cost an arm and a leg. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Ironically, the woman who did these tops was fired after another employee left something on the uncured epoxy after she left at 2 a.m.  I was told that she had 130 hours in the bar tops.  She has four more jobs lined up since this one, primarily because folks have seen what she is able to do.  She will drive up here Thursday to get more wood and is in need of more after that. 

John and I need to find more oak to saw.  We were oak poor until a couple of weeks ago.  We decided to cut up a lot of slabs to make benches the day before the bar project purchase occurred.  The hot box is running right now loaded with oak.
Caveman

samandothers

Caveman, great job!  Those look fantastic.  What did you mount your slabs to prior to the pour?

longtime lurker

I got asked about doing one of those river tables a while back, the wood of choice wasn't cheap... Then calculated it at bit under 40 gallons of epoxy and guessed the labour at 100 hours and frightened them away with the price.

Now I'm glad I lost it... If she's got 130 hours in that one I'd seriously underestimated the time factor required.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

caveman

Quote from: samandothers on February 23, 2020, 09:23:19 PM
Caveman, great job!  Those look fantastic.  What did you mount your slabs to prior to the pour?
I did not do the pour.  We just sawed, dried and planed the wood. 
 I think the base was plywood though.  There are more slabs in the hot box now.  John and I will take them out tomorrow after work and try to get them ready to go out on Wednesday or Thursday.
Caveman

longtime lurker

Northern Silky Oak Cardwellia sublimis aka "Australian Lacewood" to the rest of the world. The real one... not the half poor imitation Southern Silky Oak with the smaller medullary rays that is mostly what you get on the market today even here, or the South American Leopardwood that a lot of high end wood and veneer dealers will try and pass off as "Lacewood" to get a price lift on something similar to Southern Silky, again with the smaller rays

And a real nice grain matching job by one of my favourite customers. I'll have to come back with a better picture of it - this isn't showing what he's really achieved. I love working with guys like this.

Somewhere in the thousands of tons of 6x2's I've lost sight of this: the work that brings me joy. Time for a rethink methinks.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!