iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cord of wood on a 1\2 ton

Started by Kwill, February 10, 2018, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

Jeff

FACEBOOK! That explains it. The land of civility.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kwill

Quote from: coxy on February 11, 2018, 01:39:25 PM
how much was he asking for it
150.00 which in my area is about average for a cord
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Andries

Under the heading of Truck Abuse . . .

Trick photo; guessing there's axle stands underneath and that load strap helps keep the tailgate from collapsing.
Don't want to start any Ford - Chevy- Chryco thing,
But, probably more than a cord.  smiley_thumbsup
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

47sawdust

I would hate to be following that!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kwill

Ha ha now that's a load of wood 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

thecfarm

:o  I would hate to hit a bump in the road at 35mph.  move_it
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

It has been years, but when I cut firewood for a living I hauled it in in a gooseneck. I delivered it with the same gooseneck and stacked it so folks knew exactly what they were getting, even then I would throw a little more on top.

That said if I was to do firewood today, it would be loose and dumped, not stacked and sold by the approximate cord.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Woodcutter_Mo

I wouldn't want to be the one who has to unload that chevy, pull the wrong piece and it would be a Jenga avalanche  :o
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Southside

But it looks like he has a headache rack (OSB) and a strap - so he is DOT legal right???
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Some people don't need no stinkin' GVW and TARE numbers.

But really, I'm thinking thats just a spoof photo.
That Heavy Chevy isn't going anywhere with that load.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

coxy

that's some short wood but i think id pay a buck fifty for that load  8)

OntarioAl

"but he was shy of a cord"
That is for sure and certain
;D  ;D  :D
That load up here  would get "himself" a ticket for overweight and another for insecure load for starters.
If one goes to the tool box, one  can get the weight (green) per cubic foot pick your
species and multiply by 85 (approximate cubic feet of solid wood in a cord)
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

DelawhereJoe

Perhaps it was a bush cord made from very large rounds, years ago if I remember right I had a step side short bed f150 and it took 2 trips to get a full cord back home and that bed was 6.75' long.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Kwill

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on February 11, 2018, 06:02:42 PM
Perhaps it was a bush cord made from very large rounds, years ago if I remember right I had a step side short bed f150 and it took 2 trips to get a full cord back home and that bed was 6.75' long.
no such thing as a bush cord in our area. Wood is sold as a rank or a cord
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

coxy

Kwill i wouldn't want to cut what my dad called a rank of wood and sell it for 150 but then again  i use to do it for food and a worm place to sleep  :D :D

Kwill

Quote from: coxy on February 11, 2018, 08:38:42 PM
Kwill i wouldn't want to cut what my dad called a rank of wood and sell it for 150 but then again  i use to do it for food and a worm place to sleep  :D :D
A rank round these parts is 4ft tall by 8ft long 16-18 wide cord is 4ft 4ft x8 ft
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

coxy

my dads rank was 2 piles 12ft long as high as i could pile it or about 5ft and 20-24in long  ;D

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Logger RK

Im betting that Chevy could still make it to The Levy

rank

Quote from: Kwill on February 11, 2018, 06:18:59 PM
Quote from: DelawhereJoe on February 11, 2018, 06:02:42 PM
no such thing as a bush cord in our area. Wood is sold as a rank or a cord
What do you call a 4 x 8 pile of 4 ft logs?  What do you call that pile when it's split?

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

rank

Quote from: Kwill on February 12, 2018, 12:50:43 PM
A cord either way
But there isn't the same amount of wood in each is there.  Like the fellow mentioned above, a bush cord of 24" dia logs might not stack the same when split but it's still a cord

SwampDonkey

My answer to that is that it is a cord when delivered if it stacks to 128 ft3 in whatever lengths it arrives in. When you keep breaking wood down you loose void size. If you sell based on weight per cord and if you let wood sit around to dry a bit the seller looses. Drying stacked wood further in a dry basement the buyer looses volume.  Who looses the most: 1) dried from green to 25%, sold based on weight or 2) sold based on volume at 25% and dried further to 16% moisture ? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

SD brings up what I was thinking all along. In Mass., a cord is four foot wood in the round. Cut and split is technically smaller than 128 ft3, but I've never head of anyone trying to sell it that way. In Mass. all wood has to be sold as a cord, 1283, or a fraction thereof. No truckloads, face cords, or any other unit.

I know from my days of cutting and hand splitting firewood that while that may not be a cord of wood, it probably sure felt like it by the time it be was done.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!