iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Serious leak—classic edge 550

Started by woody_88, December 12, 2019, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody_88

Good evening all, I started noticing a dropping water level late last season (maybe I forget) and for sure this season. Not much, and to be honest I really didn't even think it was a leak. But then I was adding water. About every couple few weeks it would find itself below full. 

Anyways, today...was just below full this morning. I have been checking much more. And this evening...about a quarter inch from the bottom. Serious leaking! So I look around the stove and sure enough, there's a wet spot on the cement block it sits on. I have been looking everywhere inside the house for the leak-no luck. Pull the panel and yes it's wet and the supports are rusted underneath. Stove is only a year old. Sat at the dealer for about a year or so. 

Got my installer coming out tomorrow morning..hope it makes it thru the night  :(

ButchC

Is CB building a lot of clunkers these days or do all of them get posted here?? Not knocking them, just asking. We have a good dealer here and there are a dozen Classics operating in the neighborhood with zero issues that I an aware of. I have the only Woodmaster in the valley, 13 years old and no leaks.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

woody_88

Hard to say ButchC, I think one would have to look at boiler sales as a factor too. More sales=more problems. The human factor cannot be eliminated no matter how good a companies quality control is. That's my take tho. It's a numbers game. 

But yes, it does appear that central has plenty of problems, to give the idea they are a mediocre manufacturer. 

woody_88

My installer/repairman/dealer came out and found the leak. Down at the lower front corner. Made a call to Central boiler and they're sending me a new unit. It pays to keep your water in good standing. 

They may have some problems here or there, but are standing behind it in my case. 

woody_88

With all this being said, does anyone know more about the water jacket construction on the "stainless" central units? I say that because mine looks very rusted on the outside and developed a hole somehow. I'll be asking more about it with my dealer soon, but I'd like to hear all of your opinions and knowledge on the subject too! Thanks in advance. 

E Yoder

I heard it was a stainless firebox, mild steel water jacket. But I haven't seen it myself.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Rebarb

Wouldn't a leak from a unit that's nearly new be from a bad weld ?

I know of one particular guy who bought a used classic 5036 several years ago and never added rust prohitor.....he never heard of it. Lol

Glad to hear CB standing behind product.

woody_88

Quote from: E Yoder on December 14, 2019, 05:14:41 AM
I heard it was a stainless firebox, mild steel water jacket. But I haven't seen it myself.
The dealer told me when I bought it, was different than the guy I use now, the model I chose was stainless water and fire box. And that the newer ones were stainless and mild steel like you said. Now, today my guy said the stainless is a mix, so it will eventually rust corrode if not cared for..   ???

woody_88

Today we tried swapping out the stove for a new one, sure enough all the insulation on the underbelly was gone, somehow flew off from the factory. So put mine back together. Figure nurse it for a week or so until a new one can get shipped. But then...the flood...

Might be hard to see but the small leak turned into a full out blowout. No water holds now. Lol maybe central will pay for my propane bill too...

Logging logginglogging

WOW, How old is that boiler? its looks new!! so the leak is on the bottom?
I think mice get in there because its warm and chew the insulation to make nests exposing the metal.

woody_88

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on December 18, 2019, 10:37:23 AM
WOW, How old is that boiler? its looks new!! so the leak is on the bottom?
I think mice get in there because its warm and chew the insulation to make nests exposing the metal.
It's only got 1 season under the belt. All the chipped off insulation is from trying to find the leak. Really simple, they just start poking with a screwdriver until it gets wet  ;D
Mice did get in mine before it was delivered, they gnawed on the wires up in the controller. Going to get some moth balls for the next one and stick em in the door by the pumps and such. 

Logging logginglogging

Yeah, those TOMCAT chunks work pretty well, I use to use Cabfresh in my old popup camper and dryer sheets, but the cab fresh did nothing and ruined the popup.

woody_88

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on January 09, 2020, 03:24:01 PM
Yeah, those TOMCAT chunks work pretty well, I use to use Cabfresh in my old popup camper and dryer sheets, but the cab fresh did nothing and ruined the popup.

Thanks Logging, I'll check those out as I should be seeing the new one delivered any day now

Thank You Sponsors!