iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Traditions

Started by Magicman, December 24, 2013, 08:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPete

There is nothing like a sleigh ride on Christmas!  I had a dear friend that used to do it every Christmas.  They invited anyone that wanted to go.  People would come from near and far just for that peaceful Christmas ride.  He passed away 4 yrs. ago but his youngest son now carries on the tradition!  Merry Christmas everyone!

chain

We broke traditions this Christmas, instead  Christmas in Mississippi , it,s in Arkansas  with sil, Hot Springs area. Merry Christmas!

John Mc

We continued a pre-Christmas tradition that my parents started when I was a kid.  Every year, when the tree was up and decorated, each of us 5 kids would hang our hollow ornament ball on the tree.  When we came down the next morning, the "Ornament Elf" would have left us a Christmas Tree ornament. 

In our very young days, the ornament would be inside the ball. As we got older, there would be a clue (a rhyme, if we could read, or a picture if we were to young to read) about where in the house we could find our ornament.  It was a great warm-up for Christmas, and also my Mother's way of making sure each of us had a collection of ornaments to decorate a tree when we moved out on our own.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Chuck White

My favorite all-time Christmas Tradition is celebrating my wife's birthday, along with Christmas!

Sheila was born the same day as Jesus (not the same year :-X , just the same day of the year) we usually (in order to separate the two) celebrate Sheila's birthday Christmas eve!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Mc

My wife's B-day is Dec 30, my mother's Dec 26th, and my father-in-law Dec 24th.  A busy time of year for us.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Chuck White

Wow, busy month for you John, much to remember!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Larro Darro

We go back and forth between my sister's house and our house from one year to the next. Mamma is 85 now, so she doesn't do much cooking. My BIL has little grandkids, so they wanted to spend Christmas day with them this year, and with both our weird work schedules, Sunday morning was the best time for us to do our meal and gift exchange. We had a nice brunch. But Margie went ahead and cooked another Christmas meal today and we had Mamma over.

I'll tell a quick story about a Christmas tradition that didn't catch on here at the Larro Ranchero. 30 years ago I had just got home from the Navy. I was living at our little house by the pond, and had a few friends spending the holiday with me. Since my Uncle James was in north Georgia with his inlaws, and my pantry was bare, we walked though the woods to see if his collards needed cropping. {they did need cropping} When we got there, we saw a big coon run into a knot hole way up an oak tree. When he wouldn't come out, we shot him through the knot hole. Luckily Uncle James had a tall ladder. It took a lot longer to get that big ol' coon out of that knot hole that it took him to run in it. But after much pulling and tugging, we were able to get the coon on the grill and the collards in the pot. It was a pretty good meal, but one I have never had again. At least not on Christmas.

Larro
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

Bill Gaiche

HardtailJohn, that photo is very impressive. bg

Magicman

The entire family gathered last evening for present swapping and also the eats.

The Gumbo and also the Shrimp Chowder were real treats.  Of course there was also the usual candies, cake, blueberry "pie", bread pudding, etc.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Hardtailjohn that is great helping out and must have been great fun.

Larro, like the story about the coon.  I have been hunting with my dad for squirrel and seen him take a stick and with his knife 'fuzzy' up the end of the stick and run the in a hole of a tree and twist it to get it tangled in the squirrels fur and pull the squirrel out of the tree.  I would never have thought to do that nor thought it would work if I had not seen it. 

Traditions change as families change.  At home mom always did the big spread on Christmas morning breakfast and then again in the evening.  As we had kids we stayed home on Christmas morning and would travel to visit in the afternoon.  For my family we started having a meal on Christmas eve to help facilitate this schedule.  Our 'meal' became a Louisiana oyster stew which was chicken broth base and a lot of hot sauce, chalets artichoke hearts red pepper flakes and some cream it is spicy and good!  It was from Southern living cook book.  Around this is more an arrangement of appetizers like sausage balls, jalapeno poppers, cheese ball and crackers etc. We would 'graze' and attend a Christmas Eve service and come home and graze some more!

Chuck White

Quote from: samandothers on December 26, 2013, 11:47:33 AM
Hardtailjohn that is great helping out and must have been great fun.

Larro, like the story about the coon.  I have been hunting with my dad for squirrel and seen him take a stick and with his knife 'fuzzy' up the end of the stick and run the in a hole of a tree and twist it to get it tangled in the squirrels fur and pull the squirrel out of the tree.  I would never have thought to do that nor thought it would work if I had not seen it.  

Traditions change as families change.  At home mom always did the big spread on Christmas morning breakfast and then again in the evening.  As we had kids we stayed home on Christmas morning and would travel to visit in the afternoon.  For my family we started having a meal on Christmas eve to help facilitate this schedule.  Our 'meal' became a Louisiana oyster stew which was chicken broth base and a lot of hot sauce, chalets artichoke hearts red pepper flakes and some cream it is spicy and good!  It was from Southern living cook book.  Around this is more an arrangement of appetizers like sausage balls, jalapeno poppers, cheese ball and crackers etc. We would 'graze' and attend a Christmas Eve service and come home and graze some more!

We used to do that back when we used to "fur hunt"!

Thank You Sponsors!