iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

U.P. Tree (Solved, Camperdown Elm)

Started by Jeff, July 07, 2003, 07:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Spotted this tree in Detour Village. Have no idea what it is.  The second picture was taken on my knee to give you an idea of scale. I cut off the bottom. The part you can't see shows the lobes near the stem end unevenly. One is a little higher then the other on every leaf.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Ya got a twig shot handy?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

No, I wish I did. We spotted this tree the 4th when we went to the fireworks and did not have the camera. When the girls took a drive to Lake huron to go swimming Tammy took a picture of the tree and grabbed a leaf, so I didnt get the photos I might have. :-/ (I stayed at the cabin and took a nap) :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

The leaf could be Red mulberry but it looks a lot like Basswood to me.

Jeff

Tammy said there was an old couple there that said that they were always told it was an umbrella tree, but they really didn't know. It looked to me like a tree that had been modified to grow like that. I don't think it is a natural form. I think it had been pruned and trained. I guess it could be some sort of ornamental but it really looks like it has been there for a very long time by its size.

Furby

I've heard of an umbrella tree before, but I'll be DanG if I can remember anything about it! ::) :P :P :P

beenthere

How about the "Chinese Parasoltree" (Firmiana ) of the chocolate family. Has 3- to 5-lobed heart-shaped, deciduous leaves, 6 - 12 inches across. Crown rounded, bark smooth, greenish.   This is listed in the back of "Trees of North America" in the "Additional exotic species" section. The name fits with the "umbrella tree" name the residents called it.
 A site for the tree is
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/Syllabus2/fsimplex.htm

Possible??  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

Jeff yer tree is not a U.P. native tree. Actually it is not native to anywhere. It is called a camperdown elm, it is a scotch elm graft.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Texas Ranger

Not a parasol tree, leaf would have covered even JeffB's leg!

European Weeping Birch.  Betula pendula Roth.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mark M

Chet's right, do a web search on Camperdown Elm and you will see.

Mark

Tom

Now there is a tree I would never have found on my own unless I just lucked up on it.  

beenthere

That Camperdown elm sounds like a better match than the Parasoltree, and can tell that I mis-interpreted the un'seen lobes described at the base of the leaf. Tho' I thought the tip of the leaf looked similar, it does have an 'elm' leaf look to it. Now, I wonder how slippery it feels?

Good find Chet.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Thats absolutely it!  Way ta go Chet!

chet

The graft line is a dead give-away on these trees, most of the time it will be about 1/2 way up the trunk.    :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

You've got some pretty good eye's, Chet.  I can't see a graft line from here.  'Course you're closer to it than I am. :D

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yeah, good eyes!

OneWithWood

Graft line???

You mean the UP politcoes stand in line for their bribes :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chet

Nope Tom, I couldn't spot it in Jeff's pic neither, even wit da bifocals.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!