iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 261

Started by hopm, April 28, 2024, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

261 less than year old. Has always been 3 pulls choke 1 pull fast idle and 1 pull to restart the rest of the day. Got hit with a limb and cracked the plastic cover and roughed a small section of air filter. I replaced the filter and it will start and run but not nearly as reliably as before. May start and run as before and then no start. Each time I let it sit awhile it will start almost like it was flooded. Any suggestion on what to look for to get back to the reliability before?
Thanks in advance!!

sawguy21

I would be looking for an air leak due to a crack behind the carburetor.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DHansen

Check the choke linkage.  Make sure it opens fully.  

Keepfixin

Does it have the m-tronic carb on it? If so your auto tuning carb could be acting up from the impact. Just a thought.
Jesus: The Way, the Truth, and the Life. John 14:6

hopm

Quote from: Keepfixin on April 29, 2024, 02:07:38 AMDoes it have the m-tronic carb on it? If so your auto tuning carb could be acting up from the impact. Just a thought.
No sir

Keepfixin

Ah ok. Also a thought would be that maybe the impact stressed the ignition lead wire and could of made a bad connection where the torsion spring is inserted in the wire in the plug boot. Try replacing the spark plug too. Maybe an aftermarket carb could solve the problems if it's an internal carb issue.

barbender

Why would you go to an aftermarket carb, especially if he doesn't even know what is actually wrong yet?
Too many irons in the fire

hopm

Took it to the man yesterday morning....i missed that saw bad yesterday.

firefighter ontheside

Interested to hear what they find.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

My MS261 is quickly becoming my favorite saw.  :thumbsup:

Now to be honest, I did not actually "need" it, but I had read so much about it here that it became a "want".  The MS170 understandably was a bit under powered for my use so.....
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hopm

I had a 250 I really liked and it gave great service but it kinda vanished. Bought the 261 as replacement...no comparison.....but....today 170 will be my limb saw

Magicman

The MS170 was/is a most excellent lightweight limbing saw.  A "one pull" cranker, but I was asking too much of it around the sawmill.

I had the MS261 humming today.   ffsmiley  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Keepfixin

Any news on the 261? :-)

Thank You Sponsors!