iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glue up

Started by stumpy, May 13, 2019, 04:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

looking for thoughts.  What is the lowest moisture reading acceptable for gluing up air dried wood for a table top?
White oak
Black Walnut

Also, same question but end gluing

I will be using dominos and Titebond 11.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

bwstout

I glued up a black walnut table top for a small kitchen island and a end table they were at 10 to 12% the small table top I did not finish under the bottom and it move came apart I made the second mistake and use pocket screws to hold it down and it could not move. The small end table I did finish on both side it did not come apart but did shrink. The best is ruff cut move inside and let it acclimate and it should be stable and allow it to move on the apron or legs. I have a large kitchen island and   a farm table that were 10 t0 12 and they are doing fine after 6 months they are pecan and the tops can move and they are finished on both sides. Right now I building a table from blue pine that is 11% will see how it does. 
home built mill

Dan_Shade

Titebond says above 10% slows drying time.  Above 16 could be problematic. 

Source:  http://www.titebond.com/resources/use/glues/faqs

Are you asking about gluing end grain? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

Air dried wood here will be 16-20% MC.  I bring it inside for a couple of months before working it.  My target MC be it air or kiln dried is 10%.  At 10% I know which way it is going to move and how much.  Never had a problem gluing in the 10-12% range. 

I normally use TB original or TB-3 if water resistance is required.  TB-2 is an outcast in my book.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

stumpy

what don't you like about TB 11

stumpy

This is a bar top so I will be end joining due to the 30' length.  It's 1-3/4" black walnut joined end to end with glue, dominos and countertop clamps underneath. 

Larry

TB-2 is more expensive than the Original but doesn't have the resistance to water that TB-3 has.  TB-3 also has a longer open time than the other two.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!