iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by jackpine, February 20, 2006, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

New to the forum members but, as Iv'e been lurking here almost two years I feel I already know all of you! What finally got me to join was when I noticed more guests online then members and felt that ,as guests we were taking advantage of all the knowledge and wisdom here and not contributing anthing, either in knowledge or lack of! In my case, as you will soon find out, it will be the lack of!                                                   
I have been custom sawing part time for 5 years with a Woodmizer lt40hd25 both at the customers site and at my home. I also saw for my own use, mainly pine and oak.
The user name, jackpine, was chosen because it's one of our dominant species here in the sand and one of the most underutilized pines in this area, only considered good for pulpwood by most.
Almost forgot the most important reason for joining ??? Because I retired from my fulltime job last November I will be able to attend the pig roast this year 8)

lawyer_sawyer

Welcome jackpine
glad to have you hear and hope ot hear some of the uses you are putting jack pine to over there in Wisconsin.
look forward to reading your posts

lawyer_sawyer (aka. LS and Jacob Ferris)
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

dutchman

Welcome, glad you decided to join in.
I think everyone who joins has something to contribute.
Looking forward to meeting you.

SwampDonkey

I would think Jackpine could be utilized in much the same way as ponderosa pine. One company here buys it for sawlogs at around $450/th., min 6" top, 12'6", 14'6", 16'6" lengths.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Coon

I have sawn many thousands of bdft of jackpine.  It sure is knotty wood but does make very decent lumber.  We didn't saw much small stuff, just from about 15" diameter and up.  The smaller stuff went for firewood.  Jackpine has its own distict "pine" smell when you saw it, smelled just like I was way back in the bush, boy do I love that smell.  I was actually only about 3 miles from town....  Talk about going on a trip and not leaving the farm. :o :o :D :D
Brad.

Almost forgot to welcome you in here.  Welcome Jackpine. 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

Welcome jackpine
Good hunting friend of mine cut jack pine in the sand country there, and built a couple houses out of it. He had land in Adams Cty. He hauled it about a mile behind a 10hp garden tractor, one log at a time. He made a log carrying arch to hold one end of the log and the other lifted up on a 3pt type contraption behind the Ford lawn tractor. Worked well and kept the logs out of the sand. Made excellent 2x material for studs and such.
Are you close to the big fire of last summer? (big for this area anyway, but pales to the ones out West).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jackpine

Lawyer-sawer
All of my custom sawing of jackpine has been 2x construction material. Jackpine has a bad rap for not drying straight but if the tree was not leaning to badly and does not have a spiral grain it will dry very well.
3 years ago I cut 40 cord of jackpine pulp from some property I own and as I cut I marked the best logs, min.10" small end and no lower limbs,as sawlogs. I got very nice 2x6 and 2x8 material for an addition on my shop and very little or no warp or bow!
If you can find jackpine with just the very early stages of heartrot and saw 4/4 it make pretty paneling with the red streaks contrasting with the white sapwood. The problem here is finding someone to t&g it as most places do not want to deal with the pitch.
Beenthere
I live about 15 mile north of the fire and the property mentioned above is 10 miles southwest. I have an old Treefarmer c5d forwarder so for me getting the logs and pulp out was much easier :)

Troy

Good to meet you Jackpine!  You make a good point that I have often noted, there are a lot of guests always online.  Don't be shy folks, go ahead and login and fill out your profile so we know who you are and where you are.  I spent a lot of time just reading in the background too, but it's a lot more fun when you get involved! 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

sprucebunny

Welcome, Jackpine.

Glad you came out of the woodwork ;D See you in August  ;)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Woodcarver

Welcome, Jackpine.  We're not to far apart geographically.  You wouldn't be a WWOA member by chance, would you?
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

sawguyver

Congrats on your retirement and welcome. 8)

I had to join as soon as I came across this forum. Never done it before. I was always happey just reading. But this is the sort of thing you want to be part of.  :)

You other folk out there with equipment. Nows the time tell us what you've got.
                                      Lets go !!!
        8) 8) 8) 8) Iron Inventory 8) 8) 8) 8)

getoverit

Welcome to the forum jackpine !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

loudsam

Welcome to the forum Jackpine and Congrats on making retirement!  For me, every year, the light gets a little brighter at the end of the tunnel!  Glad you decided to join!!! 8)

DoubleD

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

jpgreen

Welcome to the forum Jackpine.. smiley_beertoast

I understand those WoodMizer's saw real good..  ;D

We have several species of pine back here, and there's one that I'm still trying to find out what it is, but it's tough pine for sure.  The branches on the bigger old growths turn to almost a pure pitch, and grow twisted.  People back here say you can't use any pine for frame constuction, but this stuff sure seems like you can.

I used it for all but the headers and rafters on a room addition, and it turned out fine.  I think it's Sugar Pine.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Snag

Welcome to the forum...  smiley_beertoast

Norwiscutter

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

crtreedude

Welcome Jackpine,

We aren't exactly neighbors, but we can still be neighborly...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

red

finally a woodmizer   8)

hope to hear all the good stories !

red
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!