iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Right

Thanks Glenn.  I was just wondering with how the wood dries in this kiln did the anchor seal impede it any.  I did notice that you had your kiln on a gravel flood.  What do you have the kiln sitting on to level it?  JR
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Glenn1

Quote from: Just Right on January 07, 2019, 12:31:38 PM
Thanks Glenn.  I was just wondering with how the wood dries in this kiln did the anchor seal impede it any.  I did notice that you had your kiln on a gravel flood.  What do you have the kiln sitting on to level it?  JR
The kiln is actually on crushed concrete.  We rented a 3 ton double roller system and packed it down with a little sprayed water.  Then we added 6x6 for the kiln to rest on.  We were able to shim it just barely to have the water run to the back right corner of the kiln.  I don't believe that the crushed concrete is going to move.
The anchor seal dissipates with heat so it is basically gone by the time that the wood is dry.  No mess, no residue.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

ellmoe

Just received notice that my kiln is scheduled to be completed on Monday. This is three + weeks ahead of schedule . Now I have to hurry to make a home for it.  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Stephen1

Quote from: ellmoe on January 08, 2019, 06:48:32 AM
  Just received notice that my kiln is scheduled to be completed on Monday. This is three + weeks ahead of schedule . Now I have to hurry to make a home for it.  ;D
Thats great. Mine is scheduled for completion March 11. I am on vacation till March 8. I  will have its home all ready before I go. I am starting to paint my shop this week 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jfric

Exciting to hear of everyone's results so far. I'm expecting delivery of mine on Monday. I'll probably start milling some 8/4 pecan tomorrow for my first load. 
iDRY vacuum kiln, Nyle L200m kiln, Woodmizer LT15-Wide, Bobcat S300, Stihl MS880, 36" and 60" Granberg Alaskan Mills, Ford F550 flatbed.

farmfromkansas

Watched the Canadianwoodworkers kiln video, and noticed they are using no stickers.  But the pics using this vacutherm IDry is using stickers.  Can someone explain?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

canadianwoodworks

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 11, 2019, 06:19:20 PM
Watched the Canadianwoodworkers kiln video, and noticed they are using no stickers.  But the pics using this vacutherm IDry is using stickers.  Can someone explain?
I'm not an owner of an Idry but I have done my research, I do run a Vacuum kiln going on 2 years.
These are types of Vacuum kilns:
Discontinuous - Wood is stickered, heated with air. Then a vacuum is drawn the wood dries and cools, then the vacuum is released, the wood gets heated again with air, then repeat.
Hot Plate - Wood is NOT stickered with heating plates filled with hot water between each layer, a vacuum is drawn and is held until the wood is dry. The vacuum and heat is a constant, no cycling from no vacuum to vacuum. So this is faster and better quality then discontinuous.
High temp steam - I don't know much about this type.
RF - Wood is NOT stickered with a thin .050'' plate between each 12'' of lumber, this provides heat by high frequency. Think microwave, but not exactly the same. The electricity is not floating around in the chamber heating the wood, the electrical signal travels from one plate to the other in a direct path.
The Idry and Idry plus seem to be different then a discontinuous, it sounds like a vacuum is held the entire time, but leaving enough air in the chamber to heat the wood. This is why the wood needs to be stickered, because they are using air being blown through the stack to give the lumber the needed heat.
Once a vacuum is pulled, you can't heat the wood with air because there is no air left in the chamber. This is why hot plate / super heated steam / RF kilns exist. Once the wood starts drying, the energy used to convert liquid water into vapour leaves the wood in the vapour, so we need to continually add heat to the lumber. Most Vac Kilns pull such a strong vac that there is no air in the chamber to heat the wood.  Vacutherm has created a "new" type of vac kiln which pulls a "weaker" vacuum leaving enough air inside the chamber to give heat to the lumber, while drying under vacuum conditions. 

My interest is peaked!

Glenn1

Canadianwoodworks, your post seems to be right on the mark....well done
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Busysawyer

After a very pleasant and informative conversation I had with Mr. Parker I need to clarify a couple things. First of all I was dead wrong about a major feature of the idry.  We as end users do have control over some key functions of the kiln if we desire.  I made a huge assumption based on a lock icon on the setup screen. I saw the little padlock icon on the bottom left hand corner and assumed these key functions were locked . I was wrong.
You can slow down the drying by limiting vaccum and max temp. Both are adjustable by the end user. I believe the fan settings can be adjusted as well but I didnt clarify or try to change those yet. Mr.Parker said you could essentially use the kiln as what he would consider a pre drier for those species that need to be dried slowly. He reccomend partially air drying as a more efficient and economic option but said the idry could be used. Pushing start is a great way to go but knowing I can "play" with the settings is going to make this toy more fun to play with. Sorry to all for making an erroneous assumption and spreading misinformation. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Busysawyer

Here is a pic of the setup screen where you can input what temp and pressure you want. That lock in the bottom left corner is what led to my assumption of not being able to change these settings.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

briankingsbury

Quote from: Busysawyer on January 12, 2019, 09:23:47 PM
Here is a pic of the setup screen where you can input what temp and pressure you want. That lock in the bottom left corner is what led to my assumption of not being able to change these settings.

The settings for Temperature and Vacuum are not locked, you can change then anytime. The lock is to setup remote access connection. This setup is usually done before shipping but if it ever needs to change it can be.

Stephen1

Quote from: briankingsbury on January 23, 2019, 10:33:27 AM

The settings for Temperature and Vacuum are not locked, you can change then anytime. The lock is to setup remote access connection. This setup is usually done before shipping but if it ever needs to change it can be.

Is the remote access for IDRY, or is that for the owner?
Can we change anything from a remote location?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

briankingsbury

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 23, 2019, 01:44:21 PM

Is the remote access for IDRY, or is that for the owner?
Can we change anything from a remote location?
The remote access is for the owner and from any location using the internet you can see, run, and change anything.

Stephen1

When we are drying pine, what temperature do we need to set the pitch? 

ellmoe

Received my kiln yesterday , three weeks early ! Unfortunately , I've had to change its future location , so I have to find time to do some construction. Hope to get this completed soon , we have a lot of thick wood to dry.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Glenn1

The remote access is for the owner and from any location using the internet you can see, run, and change anything.

Hello Brian,
Glad to see that you joined our little group.  Your assistance will definitely be appreciated.

schwanee

Well this thread has certainly grown since it's beginning. I'm happy to say that we have ours on order!  You guys have been a huge help in preparation.

schwanee

Has anyone tried drying cookies in the iDry yet? Or pecan?

jfric

Quote from: schwanee on January 30, 2019, 04:47:20 PM
Has anyone tried drying cookies in the iDry yet? Or pecan?
I put pecan cookies in on Monday, so I'll have an answer for you in a couple weeks. 
iDRY vacuum kiln, Nyle L200m kiln, Woodmizer LT15-Wide, Bobcat S300, Stihl MS880, 36" and 60" Granberg Alaskan Mills, Ford F550 flatbed.

WDH

I planed some pecan ( smiley_devil) today.  So far, only three flat boards in the first 150 bf :).  The chop saw and jointer are getting a workout.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Stephen1

I see cookies going in, in the promo shots. I'd like to see them when they come out.

PA_Walnut

I am curious as to why there's no interaction with iDry reps on here? I see that they are a sponsor, so I assume they know it's here. Anyone?  ???
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Stephen1

I am wondering how much water is coming out of the kiln? wood water and or the cooling water for the vacuum pump? I am trying to decide if I need to break my floor so I can bring a drain over to the kiln.  
Can I just drain this unit outside? through a hole in the wall. 

GAB

@japarker4 
Earth to Jim - - Earth to Jim
Can you reply to replies 245 & 246?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jfric

I believe briankingsbury, who responded to a couple questions about a week ago, works at idry.

You can run an aboveground pipe out through the wall. That is what I have done. The vacuum pump uses .75 gallons of water per minute while drawing the vacuum. It took the kiln about 20-25 minutes to draw the vacuum when I loaded it, and it does the same once about every 24 hours since the kiln releases the vacuum to run the drain cycle. The amount of wood water drained daily will depend on the load and how long it's been in. On the first day, this load drained wood water for about 8 1/2 minutes. There was a pretty good amount of water coming out that whole time, but not a tidal flow. My drain pipe is 2 1/2" and I ran the water supply line inside the drain pipe so I wouldn't have to drill two holes in the building. Keep in mind there are two separate drains on the unit, one for the vacuum and one for the wood water. They are about 2" apart and come out of the bottom left corner when you are standing at and facing the rear of the kiln.

I had zero problem getting answers from idry before I ordered my kiln and I've had the same experience since I received the unit about 2 weeks ago. If you have a pressing question I recommend calling them. Very nice people.

Thank You Sponsors!