iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ratchet straps on lumber stacks

Started by D6c, November 08, 2018, 07:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I like using ratchet straps to bind stack drying lumber...you can periodically tighten them up as the lumber shrinks.
Gets a little expensive though.  You can get straps without hooks but one end is fixed to the ratchet.
What I'd like to find is the ratchet alone and buy rolls of webbing that I can cut to length and run both ends through the winder and tighten it up.
Anyone seen something like that?

ely

I have not seen that before, and I also have never used straps on lumber aside from hauling it.

Southside

Poly / cloth binding systems like the ones made by Kubinec work well and you can re-tighten the material as the stack shrinks, just leave a long tail end so you have enough to get the ratchet tool back on. You can even re-use the material and the spring clips.  It is a very affordable alternative to ratchet straps and will get very tight.  I use it on our outbound packs.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

charles mann

Other than 5" ratchets on semi trailer, iv never seen just the ratchet mechanism for those 1" 500/1000 lb systems. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Satamax

D6c, here, the other sawyers i know, use metal or cloth strapping, onto fresh stacks of roofing wood. Iike a stack of rafters, mixed with joists, purlins etc. 

I think it could be interesting to use metal, and wedges to re tighten drying stacks. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

kelLOGg

I think DC6's intent is to have a ratchet that pulls equally on both sides of the stack. I think it is a good idea. I use ratchet straps in my kiln but they pull from one side and I have to tap beat down the other side with a hammer.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

D6c

Quote from: Southside logger on November 08, 2018, 08:36:05 PM
Poly / cloth binding systems like the ones made by Kubinec work well ......

That looks like pretty good stuff and can be retightened.

opticsguy

I often see the big heavy duty straps on the highways, you could stop and pick those up . . . . have never seen the ratchets.  
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

firefighter ontheside

I found bigger ones too.  I think they were on etrailer.com
I searched replacement ratchet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

terrifictimbersllc

I use ratchet straps just to keep the tin on my wood piles. 

I like this place for ratchet straps.  Heavy duty, no comparison with ones I see locally.  Sometimes they have sales  too. shipperssupplies
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

We use the Kubinec for just that purpose.  Every load that gets stickered gets two straps, and I have dropped a full pack of boards on it's side and flipped it over and picked it up again with a forklift.

There are some decent videos of Kubinec on the web.

The normal banding ratchet tighteners used for poly straping tighten the material banjo tight, and as long as the Kubinec isn't run through the cutter, the ratchet tightener is easily removed and the Kubinec isn't cut short every time times it is used.  It's also nice that it can be tightened pretty snug by a little hand leverage or anything else handy like a crobaw or screwdriver.  

The material survives well through kiln cycles, and the little spring tensioners are removed and reused as well as the banding.  

You can overtighten strapping in stickered, green wood and impart waves so too much tension is not good.  

We transport all our wood using over the road using road legal poly "green" lumber strapping.  The Kubinec stays at our yard so we can reuse it.  

It's really handy if there are a dozen or more stacks to band, each person wraps their packs and sets the springs hand tight all in parrallel and one person just follows up and banjos them with the one tensioner.  Very fast.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

If your intention is long term drying outside with strapping, the problem is the sun attacks the strapping whether it's kubenic or Ratchet Strap strapping.  It fades the strapping, weakening the strapping.  It's great for storing inside, and for transporting.... but long term outside it will degrade.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brucer

I used the Kubinec strapping to bundle my slabs for firewood. Same system Southside Logger recommends. I left a bit of extra strap on one side of the buckle so I could tighten them up as they dried. The customers could then put their own ratchet straps around the bundles every 16" or so and buck the whole bundle up into 16" lengths (or whatever).

A lot of my customers would return the straps and buckles and I'd re-use them. They faded in the sun and got a bit stiff where they wrapped around the buckle, but they never got weak enough to break. I'd get three or four years out of a strap before I had to scrap it (and that was often because someone nicked it with a chainsaw :D).

If you're going to use their ratchet tightener, you don't need to get the straps too tight because it's easy to slip it back in and take up more slack as needed. The hand tool works just as well, but needs a longer "tail" to retighten.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Satamax

What i was talking about, above as "cloth strapping" is Kubinec. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

D6c

Is 1" kubinec the size to get for lumber stacks?
Do you buy it direct from kubinec or through supply houses?
Looks like the rolls have a 3" center hole so they won't fit my strapping cart that's set up for standard poly rolls that have about a 16" center hole.

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!