iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whole tree chipping

Started by Holmes, January 15, 2010, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie_C

Quote from: Holmes on January 15, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
How is a tractor trailer load of chips sold. I am told it weighs 16.5 tons and that is wet wood. If a logger paid for 100 tons of stumpage and took out 10 loads of chips { 165 tons} is that ok?  Is the wet wood tons converted to dry wood tons, so as not to pay for the water?

The proper answer to that is to look at the contract or stumpage agreement and see just what the agreed upon products and weight/volume factors are. On it's face value i would say no it's not ok to pay for 100 tons of stumpage and take 165 tons but without seeing the contract it would be awfully hard to tell.

On another note how could somebody move all the equipment necessary for a chipping operation and only get a product yield of 165 tons, with our payloads here in Nova Scotia that would be about 5 chip van loads which wouldn't even cover the cost of moving in the chipper let alone all the support equipment.

Samuel

We typically do not move our chippers around unless there is at least a days work  (24 hrs) or 2000 m3 per site.  160 BDT would be about 2-3 hours work.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

Thanks Jamie_C, bone dry tonne is oven dry tonnage then? Has to be. Less variance in the tonnage that way and your estimate of actual wood volume is more accurate. There is a reason, because there is a recipe to this pulping business.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jamie_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 17, 2010, 08:13:13 PM
Thanks Jamie_C, bone dry tonne is oven dry tonnage then? Has to be. Less variance in the tonnage that way and your estimate of actual wood volume is more accurate. There is a reason, because there is a recipe to this pulping business.

As far as i know they are the same thing SwampDonkey, back when i was more involved in fibre procurement / fibre trades etc, etc i believe that here in NS they used BDT and in NB it was ODT. I believe the old Repap Mill used Oven Dry Tonne and the old Scott Paper/Kimberly Clark Mill here in NS used BDT.

SwampDonkey

I'm quite confident they are one in the same, thanks.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Holmes

Thanks Jaime-C  For the site  I was referring to the forester wrote 23.4 mbf.  vol.cds.17   Vol.tons 78. They cut the site for 5 days with a feller buncher and
took more than 20 trailer loads of chips.  The adjacent site is 10 times larger. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Jamie_C

Around here the conversions used for mbf to tonnes is 4.76 so 23.4 x 4.76=111 tonnes, 17 cds is about 34 tonnes and 78 tons is about 71 tonnes so in total the harvest would be about 216 tonnes or about 237 tons. The 78 tons represents what type of product, if that is total amount of chips then you got totally taken, if not then where in the contract is the chip material or was it considered waste and taken for free.

I really hope that it didn't take them 5 days with a feller buncher to cut that amount of wood, around here that is the bare minimum a feller buncher would cut in a single shift in wood running about 18-20cd/acre.

SwampDonkey

Holmes, was this oak species? Because green oak (64 lb/ft3) is a lot heavier than green hard maple (56 lb/ft3) or green aspen (43 lb/ft3), green red pine is 49 lb/ft3. MC 30%

5.85 GMT per mbfm for 8' hardwood and 3.1 for ODMT  (MT =metric tonne) hard maple, yellow birch, beech because those three hardwoods are about the same for weight and specific gravity.

Holmes

Mostly hemlock,and some low grade hardwood
Think like a farmer.

Samuel

If you are interested in whole tree chipping, but have never had the opportunity to see it, or like watching it, I made a video for our Japanese stakeholders and our customers to figure out what it was that we were doing.  When you click onto this link a window will open and the specific video I am referring to is the second one of three that are stored in this location.  Feel free to review them all, but the second one is the chippers running.  Let me know whet you think of it.

http://www.dmi.ca/about_dmi/dmi_in_alberta/prpd/co_overview_video/
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Thank You Sponsors!