iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028

Started by brettl, January 18, 2014, 04:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

EDIT FEB 4: Same saw, different question. What is the rectangular plastic piece behind the choke stopper in the air filter? What does it do and is it necessary for proper saw operation?

I've picked up a WB and a WBAV EQ pretty reasonable and as I've been looking for a mid-sized go-to saw for firewood cutting this one fits the bill. I'm going through both before putting them into service and have a few questions.

Has anyone done a 028 specific mm thread? I searched but couldn't find one. Ideally, I'd like to see some pics of 028 muffler mods if anyone has some they would post.

Second, looking ahead and hopefully FAR ahead, is there an aftermarket p&c that you all have used and got good service from?   Thanks everyone

ZeroJunk

Tecomec makes a good kit. As far as muffler mods that saw was made before the EPA started choking them down. I don't know that there is a lot to gain.

deerslayer

The 028 was made for a long time and had several variations, so if you get parts, make sure they're correct for the one you have. I know the displacement had at least two and I think three sizes during the run. The early 028 models didn't have a brake and later ones did. The very latest versions had a side chain adjuster screw.
They're a great firewood saw and lots of parts out there too.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Al_Smith

Regarding the 028 the specs I have show two displacements .With a 44 mm bore it's 47 cc .With a 46 mm bore it's 51.5.Stroke is the same 31 mm .3 HP give or take a little .

Solidly built saw similar to the 038-042-048 design .I've seen a few that were "tweeked " a tad bit and they do respond very well to modifications .

Where the farm boss or woods boss fits in I have no idea .My guess would be with the super or larger displacement model .Fact I have one of those myself .

sawn4fun

There was also a 42mm version. It was the earliest design, therefore, not as common as the others. There were at least a couple types of mufflers. One flows better, but I can't recall if it was the earlier or later version. It seems, when I built mine, I used the earlier main body with the later cover. I also opened it up a bit.

brettl

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the cylinder from the Super can be fitted to the WBAV EQ(but not the standard 028 WB). Can any of you confirm this? I don't have a Super but I do have the WB and WBAV EQ and if or when I wear out the AV EQ I'd rather go up a few cc's if possible. Thanks for the replies.

EDIT: Since I've chosen this little Stihl for my 16" go to saw, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it's variants and their respective features. I just came across a 028 WBAV. No EQ on this one. Until now I had only seen the WB, WBAVEQ and Super. Does anyone know where this fourth one falls in? I've looked for it with no luck so far but will keep looking. It may seem a trivial question but I'm curious now how many variants of the 028 there were since I'd only heard of 3 before. Thanks for humoring me.

brettl

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 20, 2014, 06:40:17 PM
Regarding the 028 the specs I have show two displacements .With a 44 mm bore it's 47 cc .With a 46 mm bore it's 51.5.Stroke is the same 31 mm .3 HP give or take a little .

Solidly built saw similar to the 038-042-048 design .I've seen a few that were "tweeked " a tad bit and they do respond very well to modifications .

Where the farm boss or woods boss fits in I have no idea .My guess would be with the super or larger displacement model .Fact I have one of those myself .

It seems I've read that the 47cc can be upgraded to the 51cc for whatever reason but I don't remember where I read this. Do you know if this is accurate? I'd not heard mention of a saw simply labeled 028, rather than 028 Wood Boss. Is there in fact such a saw? I know there are at least 3 different displacements for the 028 and assumed my 028 Wood Boss was the base model and a 43cc saw and my AV EQ the 47cc. Does the Wood Boss emblem designate it a 47cc saw? I have researched Acres and a few other sites that list saws and their respective specs but there are gray areas I'm trying to fill in. Thanks for your help. Brett

ZeroJunk

They made a 42, 44, and 46 MM version. The EQ is solid state ignition and chain brake. I don't think Wood Boss means much of anything since they put that on saws at random it seems. I know you can put the 46 on the 44 crankcase because I have. I am not sure about the 42. Other than the chain brake and ignition  the clutch drum and sprocket configuration on the early models is different.

brettl

New question and it will probably sound like a no brainer to to most. Until the 028s, the oldest Stihl I've had was my 026 Pro which was stolen from my truck. :'(
When turning over the 028 to inspect something, fuel ran out. Of course, it was the vent tube coming from the fuel nipple in the left side of the carb/filter compartment. EDIT: Since posting this I've found and old post where Al Smith tells about the line and insert within and gives part numbers. Wish I'd found that one on the search I did prior to this post. Anyway, I still have a question here. Is the insert slid into the end of the line or is the line cut and slid back over the insert? Thanks everyone

brettl

2 of my 3 028 filters have a plastic piece behind the spring loaded choke stopper. Rectangular with 2 sharp corners and 2 rounded corners. What is it, what does it do, and does the saw have to have it? Thank you.

Al_Smith

I'll go fetch the 028 from the shed in the morning after I dig out the driveway which is after I fire up the old 50 year old Jeep which is after I drink about a pot full of coffee .Translation --it might be noon .

However coffee is much the same as beer ,you can only rent it so that has to be taken into account also .

brettl

:D Thanks Al. I just finished clearing about 6 inches of snow off my parents driveway and now it's snowing harder than it was before. I'm just curious about this piece. The choke shutter kind of seats back into it. It could simply be  something to shield excess fuel from the choke process spitting out onto the filter. My 200T and 441 Magnum both have winter operation gadgets on the exhaust. I'd like to know if the 028 had anything like this.

I'd sure like to find a operators manual for my 028's, although the ones I've seen are mostly common sense.

Duane(Pa)

You can get the Ops. manual from the Stihl website (PDF) :P

Al_Smith

Ha I managed to get on before noon ,11:21 to be exact .

That plastic gizmo runs the choke butterfly which is inside the air filter .Now why in the world Stihl decided to do it that way I have not a clue .Just Stihl being Stihl I suppose .

thecfarm

If I drank a pot of coffee before plowing,it would take me a ½ hour longer in just bath room breaks.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brettl

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 05, 2014, 11:24:18 AM
Ha I managed to get on before noon ,11:21 to be exact .

That plastic gizmo runs the choke butterfly which is inside the air filter .Now why in the world Stihl decided to do it that way I have not a clue .Just Stihl being Stihl I suppose .

Are you seeing 2 different plastic gizmos? One is the spring loaded choke stopper/shutter, the other is the small plastic piece I'm talking about. I thought maybe it was a splash guard. Basically makes it a 4 piece filter counting the filter halves. Just want to make sure we're looking at the same part. Thanks Al

Thanks to for the download info on the manuals but what I really want is original hard copies. Thanks everyone.

Al_Smith

Well of course you have the choke shutter .In addition it's little thingy that sticks out the bottom of the filter right hand lower side .That thing engages the control shaft which runs the throttle and choke.That's all I saw on the saw or off the saw for that matter .

I'll look at the IPL when I get a chance .It's not beyond Stihl to change parts.

Thank You Sponsors!