iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to purchase raw peanuts?

Started by woodsteach, August 29, 2013, 03:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

We made a trip down south this summer and stopped by a couple of boiled peanut stands.  Well the family is now hooked. 

My girls want some more, "don't worry, dad will find us some" they say.  So here I am asking the southerner's for help.

If anyone here grows them and would sell and ship some awesome.  If not do you folks have a place to get them from?  Has the peanut harvest begun?  Or would it be best to wait?

Thank you
Paul 
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

thecfarm

I grew some in the second and third grade. Kinda a neat thing to do. I should do it again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

You may be able to purchase some in the Produce department of your local grocer.  Especially if they're a bigger chain.  They should also be able to order some if they don't carry them on a regular basis.

WDH

The peanuts are being harvested mow and will be harvested in the next 4 weeks.  The time is right.

These people sell green peanuts.

http://www.hardyfarmspeanuts.com/
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

The next question would be, Who has a good recipe for boiled peanuts?  and is willing to share it ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodsteach

Thank you for the replies. 

WDH  I'll be purchasing from the link that you provided.

David, that is a great question.  I was planning on following the information on the page WDH provided.

"This is the basic recipe. You can increase the ingredients as needed according to how many pounds of peanuts you have to cook.

Add 5lbs green peanuts and 2/3 cup salt to 1 gallon water. Boil on medium heat for 1 ½ hours. After cooking, allow peanuts to sit in brine for added salt flavor. Drain and eat, or refrigerate until ready to enjoy."

If there is a better way please let us know.

Thank you

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

woodsteach

WOW!  I went to the website that WDH posted.   the price of the peanuts very reasonable .... shipping...that is something that I'll be calling them about before I order them.  $203.00 shipping.  Might have to find another option.

Magicman

I guess that it is hard for me to think that they are not available at your local chain grocery.   :-\  It shouldn't be much different than us having California, Washington, etc. produce in ours.   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

These folks up here have never heard, and don't want to hear about boiled peanuts, which is a hard concept for me to grasp, it almost makes me think there might be a market, they are good, just like grits ;D   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I have never looked for raw peanuts. I will have to check.

No, I will not be looking for grits.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

boiled peanuts can not be like grits! :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

I like grits but can't do boiled peanuts.  I've tried several times to like them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kansas

I tried boiled peanuts and just didn't care for them. That being said..

There is a lawn and garden store that also sells fresh veggies, including ones you don't normally find up in Manhattan, KS. I buy sacks of salted peanuts there in the shell in the fall and around Christmas time. They have salted, roasted, and raw. Seems like they come in 5 and 10 lb bags, and always have a few bigger ones than that. They are out there.

Magicman

You done gone and done it again.  A quick trip to the market and the peanuts are boiling.

Actually, now the boiling is over and they are soaking, but I have been sampling.

drobertson

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) none here to be found,   I already know they will be good, bout like breakfast in the morning! with grits!   love it,  and have to say, you northern boys,  what's up?  I think there is some kind of mind block on grits,  they seal the deal,  I love fried tators, peppers and onions, hashbrowns and the works, but grits are the binder,    david

thecfarm

Ain't no mind block for this Northern boy. I had them things before. I really should try them again.  ::) My diet is bread,meat and cheese. I don't think grits is made from those 3 ingredients. I told the wife when I first met her my diet. She thought I was joking. The first meal she made for me,she found out I was not joking.

drobertson

:D :D :D, everyone is different ;D  I just like to sop them with biscuits and runny eggs,    david

thecfarm

You mentioned fried onions and peppers. No way would I touch them. I will eat them raw,but you even warm them critters up and lose that snap,I won't eat them.
My biscuits and runny eggs are shaking with fear.  :D

SwampDonkey

Love fried onion and peppers. I eat more onions than taters probably. I also like raw onion and pepper as well.

We don't have raw peanuts up here, I don't even have to look. :D Some folks from NC used to bring green peanuts all shelled in 10 lb sacks. I liked them roasted in the oven with some oil. ;D My grandmother thought they were too much bother  ::) and preferred them from the can. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have never seen sacks of shelled green peanuts.   smiley_headscratch

SwampDonkey

Yep, kept them in the freezer in the burlap sack. It was a lot of peanuts. I would just take a small bunch myself and dump on a cookie sheet like baking french fries. Only better. And they were jumbo peanuts. mmmm ;D

We do have roasted peanuts with the shells on in the stores.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Well OK, shelled and dried.  My mind was somewhere else, because I was sitting and eating boiled peanuts.   food6

SwampDonkey

I wonder if anyone has ever eaten wild groundnuts? It's a vine, produces a tuber. Grows from NB to Florida I believe. Under cultivation they can produce 5 lbs of tubers a plant and high in protein. Nitrogen fixing as well. All round good plant I think.

Apios americana

Thank You Sponsors!