iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best mid level wood splitter?

Started by gman98, April 10, 2020, 03:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I'm currently looking for a wood splitter and thought I would come here for advice.  I've been hearing with wood the past two winters and I've always just split my wood by hand.  I try to be selective with what I get so it hasn't been bad.  This summer I would like to get into the firewood business.  Thinking probably 8-10 cords/year to start with and expand if I find it a profitable side business.  I was wondering what you folks considered to be a good wood splitter that will stand up to some use but won't break the bank?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

TimRB

Judging by your posted age, you might be a little old to be getting into the firewood business. :D

That said, I think you would need to plan on much more than 8 or 10 cords to make it profitable. 

Tim

47sawdust

What's your budget and what size would do you cut?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

gman98

Quote from: TimRB on April 10, 2020, 04:25:19 PM
Judging by your posted age, you might be a little old to be getting into the firewood business. :D

That said, I think you would need to plan on much more than 8 or 10 cords to make it profitable.  

Tim
This won't be a full time job.  This is just something to make a little extra cash on the weekends.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

stavebuyer

gman98

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 10, 2020, 04:30:36 PM
What's your budget and what size would do you cut?
I'd like to keep it in the 1000-2000 range.  And common firewood length, probably up to 16" diameter.
Thanks

upnut

My brother runs an Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal splitter, well built machine, probably on your upper price range. I run a County Line 25 ton from TSC, it has served me well with no issues. If I had to replace mine tomorrow, I would give the Yard Max splitters a strong consideration. 

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

47sawdust

You might be able to find a used SuperSplit for $2k. I had one for 3 years and liked it a lot.I only sold it to buy a Timberdevil with a hydraulic log lift.It is the best splitter in my opinion.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

luap

Can't really make any recommendations on brand of splitter but what I would look at is the body motions required to operate. If you have to bend over and pick up pieces to place them on the splitter and then to pick them off the ground after split gets old fast .And how high is the splitter vs your height? Do you have to bend over to operate?  A log lift saves the back as well as a table to catch the split pieces from falling to the ground. Splitters with these features are more money maybe beyond your budget. However people have added or made provision in planning for less wear and tear on the back. Just some things to think about.

hedgerow

I am not much help on brands of splitters as I have always ran homemade splitters with 28GPM pumps. I have bought and sold a fair amount of factory built splitters that I will pickup at garage, estate sales and such. If it were me I would spend the full $2,000 and try to find a good used one that is a little higher end unit with a log lift and a fairly good size pump. Yes you can go to the farm store and buy a $1,000 dollar splitter and it will split wood but man are they slow. I know the ones I have bought fixed a little and sold I couldn't stand the speed of them. Summer is coming and it is a great time to pickup a great deal on a used splitter. 

upnut

Quote from: hedgerow on April 12, 2020, 11:28:10 AM
I am not much help on brands of splitters as I have always ran homemade splitters with 28GPM pumps. I have bought and sold a fair amount of factory built splitters that I will pickup at garage, estate sales and such. If it were me I would spend the full $2,000 and try to find a good used one that is a little higher end unit with a log lift and a fairly good size pump. Yes you can go to the farm store and buy a $1,000 dollar splitter and it will split wood but man are they slow. I know the ones I have bought fixed a little and sold I couldn't stand the speed of them. Summer is coming and it is a great time to pickup a great deal on a used splitter.
That must be why I get along so well with my farm store splitter, we're BOTH slow... :D...I do know the Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal is a commercial rated machine and will hustle a three man crew to feed, split and stack.
Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

realzed

I recently bought a Champion 100251, 25 ton splitter.  
Tried it out this weekend and it seems to work great. Fairly tall so bending isn't an issue, horizontal or vertical and a full splitting beam and it seems very well made - but pretty heavy actually.
It has a 2 stage pump and 5 gallon oil tank and comes with side catchers all of which saves on back wear and tear and it appears to have lots of cutting power.
I'm not up on what is fast or not when it comes to splitters. I've rented a few and they were nowhere near as fast as this one and renting just makes for a condensed work/time situation that I don't need anymore - so with this new one I can hook it up to my quad and go out in the back 40 and do some hacking around anytime or whenever the mood hits..
This one cycles in 12 seconds apparently and it seems plenty fast for what I need to do..
I could have opt'd for a Honda engine on it, but didn't as I've always had decent service and performance from any other Champion branded powerplants I've had in generators, plus the Honda version was $300 extra which would have had it at close to $1900 CDN.
Feedback was that Champion stuff was pretty well regarded.. but as with most everything though - some can and will break anything whether it is through negligence or flat out abuse, so I consider ratings mostly just a loose guide to actual performance or durability.

Holmes

I have a 1 hp electric super splitter , it works great.  Just plug it in turn on the switch and start splitting with its  3 second cycle time. It has the aux table and that is excellent also. 
Think like a farmer.

JJinAK

I will echo the sentiments about Champion.  I bought the 27 ton two years ago, and it's been pretty good.  I think I paid under $1100 out the door at the big orange store.  I did have a hydraulic issue with it where it blew the return line off, but I replaced the barbed hose with a hard plumbed hose, and no issues since.  I like the height, the speed, and it's relatively quiet.  I split mostly spruce & hemlock, but we get huge diameter stuff.  It hasn't found a knot it can't handle.  I run it at about 3/4 throttle and it purrs right along.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jeff
MS461
MS362

gman98

Thanks for your input guys.  I was looking at buying a county line from tractor supply but then an unbelievable deal on a home made wood splitter fell in my lap so I jumped on it.  I've already split a cord or so of sugar maple, yellow birch, and white ash boogans and I'm quite happy with it.  I think I'll run this one for a few seasons selling wood to save up some money, and then spring for an Eastonmade ultra.

Thanks

hedgerow

Glad you found a splitter. Post some pictures when you get some time. Always love to see those homemade splitter's. 

gman98

hedgerow

Looks like a solid built splitter with a newer motor. Enjoy the new toy. 

SwampDonkey

Almost exactly like the splitter I have, only I've got a Kabota engine on it. Right now I do mostly softer woods by hand, one crack with the Collins does it. I'm thinning my woods which is a pure Acadian mix of softwoods, aspen and maple, some cedar. What ever has to go in the thinning, gets burnt. I don't sell. Soon will have by 570 Ranger to get back further. I've not got much big wood, except some old 20" fir that I come across that are done growing. Down they come. I am puzzled at mills thinning old suppressed rotten fir that are too far gone, thinking they will get lumber from them. There's better places to invest silviculture money. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!