iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

A lot of times folks find the Forestry Forum while searching the web trying to i.d. a tree they have in their yard or one they stumbled across and was of interest to them.  I thought it would be fun and possibly educational to have a tree of the day.  We have members from all over so we should be able to provide quite a variety.

I'll start with a relatively easy one (for southerners).

It is simple and alternate.
Caveman

caveman

Oops, I probably should have posted this under the tree i.d. section.
Caveman

hacknchop

What kind of birds in tree @caveman ? We don't have any birds like that except perhaps doves.
Often wrong never indoubt

WDH

And a fine majestic tree it is ;D.  A lot of history behind this one.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

This will be fun to follow. 

As I am old and immune from the rejection of being wrong, I'll throw out the first guess.  Is it a magnolia?

Say when

timberking

caveman

I believe the birds are some kind of parrots.  The birds are not indigenous but they seem to thrive in this climate.  The little caterpillar on the cup beside the leaf should give a hint as to the genus of the tree.  The wood from this tree is probably the hardest and most dense

of the North American hardwoods.  Notice the Spanish moss.
Caveman

btulloh

HM126

Don P

That ought to liven up things at your mill :)

caveman

Not a magnolia or mulberry.  
Caveman

Magicman

Here are a couple of examples of what the lumber would look like.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

HM126

btulloh

The bark doesn't look like the persimmon around here.

HM126

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

The leaf reminds me of live oak but the branches don't look like it.

Hopefully this doesn't become the tree of the month, cause curiosity is gettin to me.
HM126

Roxie

Me too.  :D

But, if it's the hardest, it must be locust. 
Say when

btulloh

Willow oak?

With a tobacco worm.
HM126

caveman

Southside and Beenthere got it...Live Oak (Quercus virginiana). Let's see what we can find for today.  WDH and Magicman did not spoil it and let it go on for a little while.
Today's tree of the day.
This small tree is found in most of the eastern half of the U.S.  It is already blooming here.  Sorry, I have no wood pictures from this one.

Caveman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: caveman on May 09, 2019, 08:18:25 PMLive Oak

Quote from: caveman on May 09, 2019, 08:18:25 PMIt is already blooming here

Interesting.  Nothing at all like the "Live Oak" we have out west.  While the wood, provided by MM, looks like typical oak, the leaves look nothing like any oaks I see out here.  As far as flowers, all our trees have the caterpillar like flowers, not that ball pictured.

Edit:  Oops, I missed that the funny flower tree was a second tree!  Thought it was the same thing in flower ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Bookmatched Live Oak slabs.

All Live Oak that I have sawn has exhibited that same "ripple" texture in the lumber.

I have never sawn the next mystery "Tree of the day".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I usually see the next mystery specimen around water.  

Here is a hint that is a dead give-away....stipules persistent, scars leaving stipular line connecting petioles........ :D.

Some info:  Poisonous to cattle and becomes a troublesome weed in low lying pastureland.  Restricted to moist sites or poorly drained areas.  Numerous species of waterfowl and birds feed on the seeds.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

The picture of this one was taken about a quarter of a mile from my house in what is considered the southwestern edge of the Green Swamp, especially if one is trying to obtain a building permit (now limited to one house per 10 acres).
Caveman

curdog

Quote from: WDH on May 09, 2019, 10:00:52 PM

Here is a hint that is a dead give-away....stipules persistent, scars leaving stipular line connecting petioles........ :D.

Well that clue buttons it up for sure...

caveman

Buttonbush or Cephanlanthus occidentalis.  Curdog and others recognized it right off.  Since we are in the swamp we might as well go with another one that does not mind getting its feet wet.

This will be Friday's tree of the day.

Caveman

WDH

Iffin yore name was Gordon, you might stumble onto this one........

Thank You Sponsors!