iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

I looked at Tawa, but nothing fit.  Dang it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodpecker52

Brain Twister for the day, Name this from the bark, hint root stock was used in France.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

doc henderson

Bingo?  Bingo!!! i never heard of Bingo trees.... :D :D :D.  I bet you wine when you have to mill those.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

That was an early case of transporting a bug that caused trouble. Our grapes are resistant to an aphid borne grapevine root disease and when some of our vines were shipped to France for grafting experiments the aphids went along for the ride. Once there they destroyed the French vineyards. The solution was to graft their vines to American rootstock. So I guess you could say that fancy French wine is really just imported American wine.

Woodpecker52

I have a bunch of grapevines that seem to be very old.  Some with long brown air roots to the ground, I usually have a good crop of muscadines in late summer, have to beat the deer to them though, oh well with the hard life they live I guess  they deserve them more than me.

KEC

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in at this point with a tree that is planted here in Central New York, but not native.

KEC

I'm still having trouble with posting photos. I have more photos of this tree.

Ljohnsaw

The leaves remind me of elm but the bark reminds me of sycamore.  Hmmm.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Siberian elm.  Ulmus  zelkova
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodpecker52

I would guess they were planted in response to the Dutch Elm Disease killing the native elms.

DelawhereJoe

I was thinking Japanese elm  Zelkova serrata
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

caveman

I was thinking Ulmus parviflora or Drake (Chinese) Elm.  
Caveman

Jeff

Tammy and i are sitting at the marina in Detour Village so we can chrmeck messages before coming back to cabin. This just reminded me of a tree on the other side of the village i believe is some sort of elm. Ill navifate over there and depict it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

KEC

I had to ask a tree service guy what this was a few years ago and he said zelkova. Sometime I'll get photos of a tree in my neighbors' yard and see if WDH gets that one so quickly. You guys are good. I'm quite sure Jeffs'  tree is a Specimen Tree. 

Ianab

I was going to guess Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) because of the bark. It's other name is Lacebark Elm, because of it's flaky look.  But then I wouldn't know the difference between that and a Zelkova, I suspect they are similar?

Jeff's tree is probably a grafted ornamental. 6ft of normal straight sapling with a contorted variety grafted on top? There is a similar tree still growing at a house I used to own (20+ years ago) It was big then, and it's still growing strong. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Here is one. This year I'm  getting to it before  the critters  I've never had a harvest because im always a day late and dollar short. This year i started picking them as soon as i saw them and hope they dry okay!  I think it is technically a tree.

stavebuyer

I can't recall if this one has been done yet; this one is growing in central KY. Leaves were too high up to get ahold of.

WDH

Bark is typical for ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

stavebuyer

No its not Ash. Here is a slightly closer view of the leaves/branches(the one with the tent worms)

stavebuyer

It has white flowers in spring, brilliant red leaves in the fall, and used for honey.

DelawhereJoe

Only one I know like that is black gum
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!