iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits Shortage

Started by Sixacresand, March 25, 2020, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Have the FF members in the Southeast USA noticed a shortage of Grits since the covid-19 emergency began.   Maybe it is just my local stores.  I ask the southern guys because I know the rest of the world don't care for them.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

florida

I plowed  my side yard in January and sowed about 50 pounds of yellow grits. We started harvesting last week and are doing good with them but ran into a problem. We're having to harvest by hand as our Gritalator is out of adjustment and makes New England mush out of them. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WV Sawmiller

To all the Yankees on the FF who don't know better I want you to know @florida is pulling your leg. He can't grow grits down around the Ft Meyers area where he is from - the ground is too wet and the crawfish will eat them as soon as they start to sprout! ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

We are in good shape here !

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

A Grits shortage would essentially be a "Cornteen" !!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

florida

WV Sawmiller

I guess you've been gone too long. Why we have a whole section at the state agricultural department working on new varieties of grits. Turns out the crawdads only ate the white grits which is why we grow the yellow. The handy thing is that we harvest the crawdads too and eat Crawdads and Grits for breakfast, you've probably heard of that.  The biggest problem with the yellow grits is they are smaller than the white and its tough spending your days on your knees picking those little yellow seeds off those tiny plants. I shouldn't have gone with the Dwarf variety.
Retired now!

Resonator

Don't know if y'all have a grits shortage, but I do know if you can sing in tune you'll have "Hominy".  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

tule peak timber

WV Sawmiller

@florida ,

I apologize for inadvertently spreading misinformation of such a critical nature. :( Thank you for setting the record straight and setting my mind at ease along with those of our northern brethren. Please let me know how the studies are coming using the blue corn too. Aren't those the ones that only attract the softshell crawfish which are desired for such gourmet delicacies as fried she-shell sandwiches and such. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

charles mann

In the black clay of tx, grits grow just fine. The rains though have washed many acres the grit field behind my house. I think they are gov subsidized, so they should be good. 
It is nice to go out back and harvest a few boxes as needed. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

WV Sawmiller

Dad used to mix his turnip seeds with grits and plant them together. You could see the grits to estimate how much coverage you had and see any bare spots you had missed. Also the grits came up first and helped shade the little turnips so they did not get sunburned at such a tender age.
Howard Green

Magicman

We always keep our Grits in the frig along with peas and beans meant for planting.  They germinate much faster when they are planted in warm moist Spring soil.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: florida on March 25, 2020, 04:53:43 PMI shouldn't have gone with the Dwarf variety.
What were you thinking?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

And be sure to only plant them on dark nights. I planted a bunch when the moon was full and they grew so fast they kept dragging the grits off the vine. I try to plant mine upright instead of vertical as they seem to take root faster that way too.
Howard Green

tule peak timber

Grits cooked , formed round and roasted for dinner tonight.Herbs from the yard

jeepcj779

Quote from: Sixacresand on March 25, 2020, 02:23:38 PM
"I ask the southern guys because I know the rest of the world don't care for them."
Only because the rest of the world don't know any better.

thecfarm

Have not checked out the grits supply in the stores around here. Why would I?  ???  I have a lifetime supply, so I am all set.  ;D 
I'm more concerned about buying a pound of bacon for $3, on sale.  ;D Most times its at least $2 more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

florida

My family has a long history in the grit business. I grew up on my grandfather's grit farm in the mountains of western NC.  He was one of the first to develop what is now known as "mountain grits" although in later years they went out of style as "southern grits" took over.  Lots of people grew grit for their own consumption back then but harvesting on the steep slopes was so hard it wasn't commercially viable. Grandaddy's innovation came one day during a hard storm when the rain washed the grit fruit off the plants and down the hill where it piled up in gritrows.  Like all great men he saw the future so bought a piece of hillside that was too steep for crops. He invented mule shoes with built-in lifts for the downhill hooves which kept the mules level. It slowed down plowing a little because you had to change to mules with the offside hooves lifted at every turn so they wouldn't fall down the hill but there was so much money in grits it didn't matter.

Once the grits ripened he waited for a good rain which would wash the grits off the plants and down the mountain where there was a small creek. Grandaddy would stretch grit bags across the mouth of the creek and catch the grits as they floated downstream. He got a premium for those pre-soaked, ready to cook grits but the bags were too heavy to ship. Grandaddy was a man of the future and had a vision that had to wait for heavy machinery to move those bags of grits. Eventually, a landslide wiped him out although if you go there today you will still find beautiful stands of wild grits.

Brings a tear to my eye remembering the good times.
Retired now!

WV Sawmiller

"Maw, where'd you put my hip waders? I need 'em real bad." :D
Howard Green

thecfarm

I like that story.  ;D  
Must of been before the Borax days. They hooked a team of 40 mules to move their product.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dirtmotor

I know you guys are pulling my leg

everybody knows you cant plant grits

they only grow wild

Wudman

Quote from: Sixacresand on March 25, 2020, 02:23:38 PM
Have the FF members in the Southeast USA noticed a shortage of Grits since the covid-19 emergency began.   Maybe it is just my local stores.  I ask the southern guys because I know the rest of the world don't care for them.

I've been hoarding those grits.  @Southside has supplied the eggs and loaded up on the bacon locally.  The grits will hold me until the first garden run comes in.  Plenty of venison kept fresh on the hoof.  Friends welcome.  Looters beware!  There are a couple of vicious guard dogs protecting the grits.  ;D ;D

The dude on the left will take care of things.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

timberking

I have my safe stacked with grits.  

Magicman

Remember too that @thecfarm has a stash that he is keeping secret!!  :o  They are the "Instant" kind but hey, you gots what you gots.  :D

DFILER2

Just ran out and checked and the general store still has two bags left, of course I think it's the same two boxes of grits that they had when they opened in 56.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!