iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Drying Green Oak

Started by cubdriver55, March 17, 2011, 12:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubdriver55

I know the normal way to kiln dry oak is to air dry it for about a year before putting it in the kiln. Does anyone kiln dry oak right off the mill and if so do you have problems with corrosion in the kiln?  Thanks  Steve

OneWithWood

I have a charge of 8/4 red oak in the kiln right now.  I prefer to put all wood in the kiln immediately off the mill.  Most degrade happens in the first 20% moisture drop.  In the kiln I can control the rate of moisture loss whereas air drying is totally not controlled.  I shoot for no more thatn a 1.5% drop in moisture content per day for 8/4.  3% max for 4/4.
I have not noticed any abnormal corrosion in the kiln.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

red oaks lumber

green oak rusts and corroids everything bad  i won't dry green oak period
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Tom

Steve, I've always heard that air-drying wood before putting it in the kiln was counter productive.  One With Wood's  description of what he does, fits most prescriptions I've heard of in the past.

scsmith42

Steve, I kiln dry green oak 365 days a year (got a load of 5/4 QSWO in the kiln as I type this). 

Corrosion happens - so what?  In 6 years of kiln drying oak I have not had anything corrode so badly that it had to be replaced.  My Nyle unit was designed for a corrosive atmospere anyway.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

red oaks lumber

my capulary tubes for the refrigeration have replaced or soldered every other year, fan bolts rust and rot away, cooling fins on the condenser are so corrodes might last one more year.
im running a nyle l500 its 10yrs. old  the wear and tear is showing also my smaller 1200 has plenty of corrosin issues aswell. maybe oaks in different areas of the country are more acidic than others.

scsmith42

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 18, 2011, 05:51:45 PM
my capulary tubes for the refrigeration have replaced or soldered every other year, fan bolts rust and rot away, cooling fins on the condenser are so corrodes might last one more year.
im running a nyle l500 its 10yrs. old  the wear and tear is showing also my smaller 1200 has plenty of corrosin issues aswell. maybe oaks in different areas of the country are more acidic than others.

Hmm, I wonder if Nyle improved their design between when your units were built and mine?  Mine is a 2003 vintage, and although I've had a problem with some corrosion where the fans mount inside the kiln, that was probably my own fault for not using stainless steel bolts when I built it.

The only problems that I've had with my DH unit is when some wires got loose and fried - easy fix, and I've had to replace the thermal limiter a couple of times.  Oh, if the unit sits idle for a few weeks I'll usually get a bug nest in the drain tube for the condenser.  I've also had to replace the PLC's a couple of times inside the controll unit.

Mine is an L200, so it is smaller than your units too.

If I recall correctly, you air dry all of your oak first, too?  That's even stranger, since your RH% will be lower inside the kiln due to the lower initial MC.  Since I dry from green, my loads start around 95% humidity for the first few days.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

red oaks lumber

it kinda puzzles me also, at some point major things will go

Thank You Sponsors!