iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with Belsaw

Started by Farmer_17, May 04, 2012, 12:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer_17

Hi guys got new bearings put back on the mandrel and the machine shop guy forgot which way the eccentric collars go . Should both collars fit on the inside of the rails? Also if anybody could send me a some close up photo's of the leaver to work  the pulley system, the guy that had the mill had cut it off and moved it back and it looks like it might not work to well.
Thanks for the help .............Farmer
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

davey duck

It usually does'nt matter,which way makes them easy to get too.
David G.Fleming

Farmer_17

On the saw side it is sitting on the inside rail and on the back side it is on the outside outside rail I'am I good to to go?
Thanks Farmer
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

steamsawyer

Be sure to lock your eccentric collars in the direction of the rotation of the shaft. That way they are always trying to tighten themselves up more.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

captain_crunch

Steamy (no ofence intended) said it all set excentrics hold both ways but against rotation is best but remember how well they hold sets lead and blade
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

steamsawyer

Cap'n I'm confused. The eccentrics... must... be locked in the same direction that the shaft rotates, or they... will... come loose. The last thing you need is a loose mandrel. If that happens lead won't matter... Read the instructions that come with the bearings.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

captain_crunch

Steamy
Am sure your correct I am use to collars on dead shafts not mandrels stand corrected Hope they take your advice
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

steamsawyer

Alan Rudd

bandmiller2

Belsaws should have their arbor supported as close to the saw collar as possible especially with saws larger than the 40" they were designed for. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

b dukes

Here is the pics of the pulley system you ask about, I changed the bearings over to flange type, I didnt like the way it was setup before. I hope this helps.

Farmer_17

Thank you very much B Dukes.............Farmer

bandmiller2

The Belsaw feed works is a very clever design,but lightly built.Driven from the saw arbor with one "B" series vee belt.The sawyers lever [johnson bar] will tighten ether side belt depending on if its pushed or pulled,tightens one loosens the outher.Direction change is done through gears, 3 to 1 ratio,feed speed is 1/3 gigback speed.The two idler pulleys that alternate tightening the belts must be lined up right,if their at even a little angle they can flip the belts off.The first mill I built I copied the belsaw feed, just made it a little heavier duty, with parts from an old Hartman bread sliceing machine, it handled a heavy carriage well with good control. Frank C.

Birk-man

Hi all,

I have my Belsaw set up the same way as is shown in these photos; when you push on the Johnson bar towards the blade, the carriage moves in that direction. 

It strikes me that it might be safer if the idler pulleys were reversed so that pulling on the Johnson bar (away from the blade) drove the carriage into the blade. 

Is the convention on circular mills that the direction you move the Johnson Bar matches the direction of the carriage?

Peter

thurlow

Quote from: Birk-man on May 07, 2012, 04:58:55 PM
Hi all,

when you push on the Johnson bar towards the blade, the carriage moves in that direction. 

It strikes me that it might be safer if the idler pulleys were reversed so that pulling on the Johnson bar (away from the blade) drove the carriage into the blade. Peter

I ''assume'' (I know about assumptions  ::)) that I set my M14 up as per instructions, but it was a loooooooooong time ago;  anywho..........the carriage moves OPPOSITE the direction of the bar.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

wood monger

The old circle mill I've helped operate is opposite, when you pull on the handle the log advances into the blade, pushing the handle forward retracts the carriage.

snowshoveler

All the mills that I have seen ( just a few) have the control setup up that you pull lever to advance log into saw.
Gig back when you push control away from you.
I setup my belsaw so the log advances when you push control and gig back when you pull.
There is probably a good reason why they do it but I am not aware of it.
Maybe something about safety.
Regards Chris

International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

Chris,feed is usally setup so it will feed when you pull the handle back in case bark or a branch cought the lever,it would back out.In reality it really doesn't make that much differance, my first mill before I knew,would move the carriage the direction of the "J" bar. Frank C.

snowshoveler

I kind of like mine the way it is.
I did however set the control back from the carriage about 20 inches. Make me a bit more comfortable using it.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

b dukes

Thanks for the info Frank!  It never crossed my mind about what you were saying.  For safety reasons I think I should change it. Mine came setup the way it should be , but I changed it.  When I first started using the saw I kept getting confused. I wanted to push the lever in the direction I waned it to go!  I also moved my lever out from the carriage about  15 inches.  I wish I would have came out more.

Thank You Sponsors!