iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln in Southern (preferably SE) Michigan needed to kill PPB

Started by ccharnle, November 12, 2005, 08:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccharnle

Help! I have roughly 2500bf of mixed hardwood 4/4 air-dried for about 18 months. For roughly 17 months, everything has been going fine. Howecer, in the last month I have developed what appears to be PPB in the stack. This means I need to get it into a kiln to kill the buggers. Problem is the only Kiln I know of in SE MI only runs their kiln at about 120F. My understanding is that to kill these little buggers, I need to get the lumber into a kiln at 140F+ for a couple days. Anyone know a kiln where I could get this done? I got some 14"-16" 10' clear black walnut and red oak in that pile I really don't want to lose. It's already dry to 10%-12% so I don't need a lot of drying. Just bug control. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Chip Charnley

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well darn, Chip, if you didn't live in the refrigerator section, it would be easy. :D

Comfort yourself with this thought, however:  They can't do you much harm
while they are frozen, so you have a little while to make a plan - that is, IF
your wood is outside where it can enjoy the cold weather which we never get in
middle Georgia.
::)
Down here, I would throw some foil-backed insulation on the piles and heat
the pile to 130 for a few hours.   I think that would be cheaper for me here
that loading, transporting and paying all the kiln costs.

A passing note.... :P
I have decided that  a pre-treatment with borates is the way to go for me,
before the air-drying begins.   The borates end the problem before it starts.
Another reason for taking this approach is that I plan to move most of my wood
eventually into an old wood-floored warehouse to sell and and don't want
my building devoured by nomadic PPBs or other beetles!  For example, I have
slabs of walnut, red oak, pecan, etc. from 3" to 6" thick with narry a trace of bugs
in spite of the fact that they have been out-of-doors for 2-3 years, slowly drying.
(I partly cover the treated slabs and control the rate at which they dry, so I have
to use barates and Ammonium Chloride solutions to prevent mold and bugs.)

Phil  L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Dan_Shade

what do you use specifically, Phil?  borax in water?  I saw something somewhere about mixing up wallpaper sizing and spraying it on the pile.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

oakiemac

Hey Chip,

I've sent you a few emails. Come on over to the great south west part of the state with that lumber and we will "cook" the little buggers out for ya!

Steve (Oakie)
Hickory&Oak Sawmilling, LLC
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!