iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy around here

Started by Grampa_Joe, May 13, 2003, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Dem cats do a good job of keepin doze pesky woodpeckers away. Its a good thing I learned how to clone dem so I have a constant supply  :D

ohsoloco

Mark, I was going to ask you how those spruce logs milled up, but from your description of the 2x4's I guess they milled up like the ones I do  :D   I'm okay if I get a swipe down a clear face of the spruce, but that RARELY happens that there isn't knots all over the place.   There's ten spruce logs waiting to be milled up this weekend....some are at least 30" dia....and just full of those DanG knots   >:(   At least the boards are already sold  ;D

Minnesota_boy

If you have a tooth setter, try adding about .010" to the set before you mill those spruce.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mark M

Hi Mn_Boy

What will adding set to the blade do? I seem to be able to cut them ok but the knots are something else and I don't think I could even give the boards away. I'll post a picture later on.

Mark

Minnesota_boy

White spruce is a very soft wood with hard knots.  It is low in moisture.  The cells are limp so they don't shear well, leaving the saw blade with little or no clearance so it is ready to make a wavey cut.  Giving the teeth a little more set leaves the blade a little more clearance so it won't wave as easily and will make shorter waves that are not as high.
 Make sure the blade is really sharp also.  Spruce is dificult to cut under the best of circumstances.  I jokingly tell customers that I want the mill at the site before the tree is cut so it doesn't have any chance to lose moisture as it gets harder to cut when it starts to dry. :D  Slow the feed down so the blade has time to chew its way through those hard knots.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

Does anyone have experience cutting Hackberry?  It's soft and normally without many knots  but is harder to cut than one would expect for soft and clear.  The blade has to be very sharp to avoid waves and it will pull the saw down.  How come?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

Grandpa Joe stopped by today and brought me a present - 5 nice logs from a cedar power pole. 8) We had a nice visit and I gave him a couple of cedar boards and a piddly little cedar log. Joe put them in the cab so they wouldn't get hijacked when he stopped at Menard's. People are pretty desperate up here ya know when it comes to nice boards. :)

Mark

PS - Joe was there when the lady bought the cedar boards so if any of you think I was pulling your leg you can ask him.

Thank You Sponsors!