iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

On my porch tonight

Started by sprucebunny, June 11, 2010, 12:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Wildlife is getting too friendly !

A squirrel was demanding food this morning, acting threatening. I expected him to run up my leg. I'm pretty sure the same one left "messages" on the dashboard of my car. He is no longer with us.

I live on the second floor of my house. The garage ceiling is 12 feet so the stairs are long.
I've been letting the birdfeeder run out but put a little seed in once a week or so. Guess I'll stop that.

Then there's the mice.....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

CHARLIE

Holy Schmolee! Dat's a big mouse! Better get a bigger trap!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gary_C

Charlie is right, you need a bigger trap and something besides a camera to take to the door when something knocks.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

ScottAR

As I recall, the Bunny is equipped to handle any unwelcome visitors;
4 legged or 2.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

IMERC

that is some squirrel...

what's the other critters look like...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Coon

I think ya might need to get out some lead reinforcement for that one.  ;D   If they are coming this close at this time of the year there must be something wrong.  There is alot of wild vegetation for them to feed on... 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of the bear hunter that had one leap through a picture window onto the sofa where the guy was watching TV. :D :D

Be careful, they got big teeth and sharp claws.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IMERC

lazy... easy grub and no fear...

Chuck White

I wouldn't like to have those critters within my comfort zone!

That's a good size blackie there.  Be careful and maybe even have some protection close at hand.

Those guys are very unpredictable!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I saw a black bear near here about two weeks ago, only the second I've ever seen, although I've seen sign for years. Had one chasing out heifers yesterday.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sprucebunny

Quote from: IMERC on June 11, 2010, 03:12:35 AM
lazy... easy grub and no fear...

Me ? ... or the bear ???

It didn't like the camera flash much. Not near as quick as a squirrel.
I'm going to feel pretty silly sitting on the sofa armed  ;D
It might be easier to put a door in the stairs then it will have to climb a tree.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Chuck White

We've never had very many bears around this area.

Then, the state of New Jersey outlawed bear hunting about 2-3 years ago.  Another PETA accomplishment.

I think the PETA people should have to deal with some of their own doings!

Now, when they have a bad bear incident, they trap it and transport them to the Northern Adirondacks and let them go.

Now they have reinstated a limited bear hunting season in NJ.  That's a start!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JohnG28

About taking them to the Adirondacks...we had a Black Bear walk across the front of our camp, right past the dock.  This is something Ive never seen before in my 27 years.  They should keep their problems there to themselves.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Roxie

:o  Great jumping doggies!!  If I'd a been standing there, they would still be trying to wake me up! 

Note to self:  Isn't it ironic that Jeff spends weeks on end trying to bait these big boys in, send pm to Jeff to use birdseed. 

Say when

Warbird

Tom

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!!  There's a bear in the house!?!?! :-\ :-\

IMERC

Quote from: Tom on June 11, 2010, 05:18:22 PM
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!!  There's a bear in the house!?!?! :-\ :-\

crowded... huh....

Slabs

Aaaah!

Is Bruno housebroken?  Need to start early.  Those droppings are evil.

A few drops of ammonia on the second step may leave the unwelcome mat out.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

WDH

Like Tom said  :).

Whoa.......
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Dadgum! 

Is bird seed in porridge?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Brucer

Quote from: Chuck White on June 11, 2010, 05:39:16 AM
Those guys are very unpredictable!

I was taught that once, but it ain't true. Bears are actually very predictable. Problem is, people talk about "rules" about how to behave around "a bear". But there's two species of bear in North America (if you don't count polar bears), and the "rules" are different for the two species. So the first thing you have to do is learn to identify them.

There's lots of ways to distinguish a Black Bear from a Grizzly Bear, but in an unexpected encounter you need something that's easy to remember and quick to spot, so ... Black Bears have big ears that stick out from the head (just like the one in the picture). Grizzly Bears have small ears close to the skull. Black Bears have curved claws that are hard to see (just like the one in the picture). Grizzly Bears have long, slightly curved claws that look like fingers sticking out from the fur on their paws. So that there's a Black Bear.

Black Bears are pretty mild mannered and unless they are very sick, or starving, they'll tend to avoid confrontations with people. That one is probably hooked on garbage and has become accustomed to people. Shouting at it will be a minor distraction, which it will ignore. Shouting louder will just reinforce its view that people can be ignored.

I train the Black Bears that hang around my house (on their way into town to "shop" for garbage).  All it takes is a pellet gun and my voice. First thing I do when one pauses for a visit is shout at it -- if it takes off in a hurry, it's probably been here before and knows what comes next. If it doesn't take off, it's either a newcomer or dumb. That one gets shouted at a second time and gets a pellet bounced off its rump. I don't know why, because even with all that fur and even at a fair distance, they really don't like that pellet whacking them. In any event, I've had 300-400 pound Black Bears take off like a shot when they get dinged by a pellet. A couple of treatments like that and they learn to recognize my voice. Just a shout will drive them off after that.

When I used to work next to the local recycling depot, if a Black Bear came by I'd climb up on a bale of cardboard to get above it and bounce a block of wood off its head while shouting at it. That sent them packing.

Grizzly Bears are a whole other story. I treat them with a lot more respect. Now loud shouting, no bouncing things off them.

Unless you're a knowledgeable and experienced hunter, shooting at a bear (with a firearm) is  a bad idea. They don't go down easy.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tom

Bears that wander close by a farmhouse around the Okeefenokee generally have a bunch of pellets shot at it and then it will be eaten.

"Whatcha got in that Pot?"

" Coon.  Want some?"

fishpharmer

Quote from: Tom on June 12, 2010, 11:18:51 AM
Bears that wander close by a farmhouse around the Okeefenokee generally have a bunch of pellets shot at it and then it will be eaten.

"Whatcha got in that Pot?"

" Coon.  Want some?"

:D
That may hold true for all of MS too.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warren

If that is a Squirrel, you must live in TEXAS !     :D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!