iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

View from your deer stand.

Started by Bogue Chitto, December 20, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

got a doe in the plowed field in previous post.  guess there were a few cobs of corn that didnt get plowed under.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SawyerTed

This is the view from my newest shooting house.  This is a 4x8 box made entirely of lumber off my sawmill except the posts.  My neighbor and good friend did most of the siding horizontally before I got there to help.  I would have preferred board and batten. This one sits on the spine of a narrow ridge.  The hollows on either side are 120' deep.   The second photo shows the view into one.   

This pine thicket was once a tobacco field.  It's hard to see but about a quarter of the pines are white pines I planted after we bought this property in 1986.

My father in law used to say, " This land isn't good for much else but holding the rest of the world together."  It's held this family's world together for close to 200 years. 

My buddy thinks he needs to caulk the cracks lol lol
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Condo city. I would be sleeping and the deer 🦌 would be walking by 😂

mike_belben

Heck yeah that is the ticket.  

There is a steep finger ridge out over a swamp about 3/4 to a mile back out yonder from me but all the neighbors got permanent stands on it elbow to elbow.  Theyre pals until hunting season then get crabby with each other.. so i steer clear of that ridge!    :D
Praise The Lord

trapper

between my son grandson and I 4 deer came out of my stand this year,  3 of them this week.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ron Scott

~Ron

SawyerTed

My son and the buck he harvested from the "condo" this morning!

He's hunted 15 years and hasn't harvested greater than a 6 point.  He lives in Virginia and only gets to hunt here 3 or 4 weekends a year.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

That's Awesome! Congratulations to him. # memories, good times, out in the woods and good eating 👍

WV Sawmiller

Congratulation to your son Ted.

I went a few hours this afternoon and changed the battery in my feeder. All I saw was doves and squirrels. I did have a Carolina wrens come light one my windowsill and give me the once over, leave and come back a few minutes later (or he told his buddy who came to check for himself). About sunset I heard a gosh-awful racket and gray squirrel stuck his head over the open window about 2' in front of my rifle barrel. He did not come the rest of the way in. I would not have thought they'd climb that B&B wall but he did. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

There's a lot of things that squirrels can climb!

Here, they climb the T-111 siding on the house and access the bird feeder box on the window sill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kwill

Two different days and 2 different stands
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

SawyerTed

There probably aren't any deer here but I really like this spot.   I did see a mink in the creek!

Walnut Beast

It's always nice to be in the stand 👍

Magicman

A grandson sent me this fuzzy picture taken from the Strawhouse:

There are 16 deer including a 10 point chomping down on the Wheat & Oats.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stavebuyer

Not my deer stand but maybe it should be. Its an old calf feeder I put a camera in to keep an eye on my access lane. I get more game pictures here than anywhere else on the farm LOL

mike_belben

4 hours today at 25* is enough for me.  My tootsies are frozen. 
Praise The Lord

Ron Scott

~Ron

WV Sawmiller

We had a special Youth/Senior hunt this weekend. Kids 8-14 and 65+ residents could kill an antlerless deer each day that did not count against their season bag limit so what I refer to as a free deer.  I let a pretty doe standing 30 yards from me go yesterday in the pasture on the way home because I did not have the heart to orphan her this year's fawn. I should have just shot the fawn.

Today I went to my upper stand and about 6:10 pm this little guy came out and was just aching to go in my freezer. Tonight's weather was even perfect - around 40* so I could shoot, skin and hang overnight to chill then cut it up in the morning.

Just my luck - an antlered buck. Looks like about an 18 month old 4 point. I should go back tomorrow with my bow and see if I can get him. Oh well, I still have till the end of December to get him or his dad. I really wanted his mom.

I had 3 big turkeys come by. Two had beards about 6-8 inches long and one looked like a 4" Jake beard but all were very big birds. And today was the last day of our Fall turkey season. I was greedy and hoping for a deer instead and let them walk.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

We have 4 days of antlerless days this week so I went up this afternoon to see if I could find an a old barren nanny deer. In my pasture my old doe was laying by a walnut tree and her fawn was watching. The doe got up and ran to the gate I was headed to and the doe followed. The fawn squeezed through the gate but the doe just ran down the fence line and stopped about 30 yards away and watched as I parked my ATV and got off. The fawn ran off a few yards and I saw an old, dark doe by herself so I figured I'd shoot her in the head but never could get the shot I wanted and she drifted off. I went up to my shooting house a couple hundred yards away and almost immediately the deer started coming out like they were following me and 3 even came and checked out my feeder then left. 

I am pretty sure this was the doe laying in the pasture. Her fawn was below but I could not get a good picture of it.

These are pictures of the darker doe I had planned to shoot. She came right to the feeder so I figured I'd get her now.

Then her two fawns came strolling out so I relented and let her go too. I can see she is not as fat as the first, I assume younger, doe with the single fawn. They hung out half an hour or so and drifted off. When I came home in the dark all 5 were about 75 yards from my barn where I keep the ATV. 

I guess I am either going to have to orphan a couple of fawn or just shoot one. They are 6 months old and weight 60-70 lbs and are legal game.
Howard Green

Ron Scott

~Ron

WV Sawmiller

I went back up there this morning and a solitary doe came out from the adjoining property and walked in front of me at 8:00 a.m. She got cross-ways in front of me at a good spot about 60 yards away so I centered my crosshairs on her left side at her lungs/heart and shot but she ran like she was unaffected. I sat there wondering if my scope had gotten knocked off. I waited about 30-40 minutes then walked down and looked for blood and walked over to near my pasture fence with no sign. I walked up to the gate where my ATV was parked and she was laying there dead about 10' from my ATV. We raise them right here in WV. :D Turned out to be a young doe that weighed 72 lbs. There was a big doe with her fawn (I assume the first one in the pix above)in the pasture as I came down but I watched them go. I cleaned and deboned the deer then took the guts and hide up in the woods to feed the coyotes and foxes and there was a big doe and at least 2 fawns feeding there. She did not move till I threw the hide and bones over the hill. 
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

These 3 gobblers came out after they heard my feeder go off this afternoon. The one with the short beard had come by earlier and walked off putting and purring then a few minutes later he or one of the others gobbled which is not that common this time of year.

This one has about a 4" beard

The 2 bigger ones have about 8" beards. You can just see part of the 3rd one behind the tree on the left. 

All 3 are big healthy birds.
Howard Green

Hilltop366

Not my deer stand because I don't hunt but two six point bucks from my living room window this evening, there were also 10 does as well.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!