iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Haven't started the mill in close to a year

Started by Piston, October 11, 2013, 09:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I don't remember exactly the last time I milled, but I know I haven't used the mill in close to a year now.  I haven't even so much as taken the tarp off it to LOOK at the thing!  I think the mill is a little upset with me for being ignored for so long, understandably so.   ::)

Is there any reason it's "bad" to let the mill sit for a while like that, without being run?  I imagine I may have to charge the battery before starting it, but aside from that, can I simply check the oil, throw a new blade on, and start milling again?  Is there anything special I should do? 

I barely remember what the smell of sawdust is like anymore.  :o

It's a Woodmizer LT15 if that makes a difference. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

beenthere

Have old gas in it?
Have protected from mice building nests inside and chewing on things in the motor?
Rubbed the moving parts with some oil?

Could be nothing, but could be some things stiffening up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

delvis

In new England, you'll be lucky if the mice haven't gotten into the motor.  Other than that, a good lubing up and you should be good to go.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Piston

Good point about the mice, I'll check the air filter.  It's a diesel so I'm hoping the fuel should be okay. 

I'm hoping to get at least a small amount of milling time in over the next few weeks.  I could really use some more fence boards and a friend of mine needs some 2x for his barn floor which I told him I'd help with. 

I suppose the one advantage to a manual mill is that I don't have to worry about the hydraulics after it's been sitting a while  :D  I knew there was an advantage  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Left Coast Chris

Another thing I have had to do is to put oil on the outside of the guide bearings and carriage bearings.  When sawing they get moisture and can internally stiffen when sitting.  I squirt 30 wt motor oil on the seal area and roll them then squirt more.  Of course this means the seals are bad but they have not went so far as needing replacing yet.   Just don't sit well.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

sawguy21

Check your fuel for algae and water and change the filter.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NCDiesel

I wouldn't just check the oil - I would change it.   Two problems:

One - A year's worth of thermal cycling from each day's temperature changes probably created some condensation in the sump.   It is common for the oil to look fine because the water forms a fine layer on bottom you won't notice.  As soon as you run it, it will emulsify the oil.

Two - The condensation will firm up any sludge that might be in the pan.  The sludge will drain much more easily before it emulsifies the oil.

In fact, coincidentally, I just last week changed the oil from a 12HP motor on a large tiller that hadn't been used in about 3 years, even though the oil had been changed recently before that last use.  It looked like chocolate milk after I started unit.  Even though I know better I just didn't think about it.  Learn from my mistakes young Skywalker   :D

Couple other random thoughts from things I normally do on equipment that has sat a while:

Put fresh fuel in it and a little Seafoam/additive in the new fuel.
Use Scotch-Brite pads on any rust you believe looks excessive(in this case maybe the head movement mechanisms).
Pump fresh grease in all fittings
fresh 30W oil on friction/wear points.
You may find you need to change the oil again after just a little while.

Continue to grease and oil all friction points and wear points much more frequently than you would normally the first 8 hours of use.

You should be OK if you do those things.  Good luck and just use it!  But be nice to it.....

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Piston

Thanks for the additional replies and advice.

NCDiesel,
Special thanks for that excellent and informative post.  I almost didn't post this thread because I didn't think there would be much to check, and figured I'd just get to milling.  I'm glad I posted it, you guys are proving to be very helpful as always. 
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!