iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Cougar to be removed from endangered species list, determined extinct

Started by SwampDonkey, June 26, 2015, 09:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ID=FCA80842-063F-1657-BC5E7C57A4928F54

"The eastern cougar (Felis concolor couguar) has likely been extinct for at least 70 years, according to a thorough review of data from researchers, states and Canadian provinces across the subspecies’ range. In response to the review, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to remove the extinct subspecies from the endangered species list.

The Service concluded that cougars occasionally occur in eastern North America, but that they are either Florida panthers, dispersing animals from western populations, or have been released or escaped from captivity. The conclusions are based on a review of more than 100 reports dating back to 1900."
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

drobertson

good read, thanks, never heard of them, they look like they could've done some serious damage to domestic live stock, I can only imagine they were hunted pretty hard.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

The Ghost of North America

http://www.easterncougar.org/pdfs/The-Ghost-of-North-America.pdf

"Case 25: About 1904
PLACE: Millville, York County, New Brunswick.
OBSERVERS: Game Warden David Carey and John Gullison, trapper.
Gullison and Carey were trapping partners that winter. They caught a cub
panther in one of their sets and saw the tracks of the mother as she had circled
the trapped cub. As they were not sure what it was they had caught, they sent
the skin to either the Hudson Bay Company or the John Hallam Company of
Toronto. They received a cheque for $3.80 and the skin was identified as a "cub
cougar, or mountain lion."

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terry f

Gearbox

Somehow north MN Has an abundance of mtn lions if you people in the northeast would like some barbender and I and a lot of other people would love to see them gone . I have heard that they are carrying Rockey mtn spotted fever  in there ticks Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

SwampDonkey

crtreedude

So, am I to assume that older Jersey women have stopped trying to pick up younger men?  ::)

(I am sorry, I couldn't resist...)  :-[
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Okrafarmer

People swear up and down we have them here in the SC / NC mountains. One person I met, who has a good reputation in the area, saw one at his house.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

We got plenty out here. Sometimes even in town. We'll send you all you want. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

enigmaT120

Quote from: Okrafarmer on July 02, 2015, 07:38:14 PM
People swear up and down we have them here in the SC / NC mountains. One person I met, who has a good reputation in the area, saw one at his house.

People say the see them in Salem, OR too but it generally turns out to be a big house cat.  We do have over 5,000 of them in Oregon though.  They're no bother.  It's cool when you get a glimpse of one.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

mesquite buckeye

There have been numerous attacks on dogs, cattle and humans that have been documented in both Arizona and California. A rancher friend of mine lost 100 head of cattle to a pair of them. When they died the cattle stopped disappearing. Go figure. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

rooster 58

There are reports of sightings in Pa as well.  Even just a couple miles from my place

Thank You Sponsors!