iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln construction questions

Started by xlogger, January 26, 2016, 06:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Congratulations Ricky.  Maybe tomorrow you will have some water in the bucket!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

Thanks all, Bob you are welcome to stop by anytime, especially when I'm sawing :D.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

finally got pictures sent from my phone. This is my first load in. Check temp a few minutes ago and it was up to 112°

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

Quote from: WDH on February 23, 2016, 08:25:52 PM
Excellent!  Do you have water?

Ricky, that's the same question that I was asking you when the cell reception disappeared.

Any water?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

xlogger

The wood was showing between 10-12% when I put it in. I only got about an gallon or little more yesterday. The first 12 hours I didn't have the clamp on the hose tight and it went to the floor. I think It would of been warmer in there but my thermostat was set on 120° and it cut off at 106°. So I had to cut it up a little.

Edit: Just went out and check kiln. Very little water last night. Temp at 116° wet bulb 85° RH 22%.

Glenn1

As you get down to 6-7%, there will be very little water coming out.  I just got home and checked my water.  I have 700 bf of walnut and the reading was 6.9% using the oven method.  There was only 1 gallon for the last 24 hours. It seems that both of our loads are getting close.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

scsmith42

Ricky, your kiln looks great!  Best of success to you with it.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

Looks like its working great, congratulations.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Thanks all, it was more work than I was thinking. Now I've got the learning curve to go threw. I got to figure out the proper setting for the WB and DB temps. I see the charts for the different groups of wood for temps (remember that I control the temps with my heat exchanger and it seem to be working good so far) but not sure on setting the wet bulb. In the kiln manual I don't really see how much and when to set it. I guess a class would be good or where is the best place to read up on this? So far my best info has come from Danny, Robert and Glenn. I'm thinking the next load will be cherry, I believe it should be air dried down below 20% now. I know in the past you guys say that if under 20 just let it rip, does that apply to all species?

WDH

Yes, so far that has worked for me with no issues.  If it is 8/4, you might ease into the rip for a day or two.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There is the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club that has meetings, tours and beginner classes.  They are in NC.  The next meeting is April 21-22 near Hickory.  Contact Phil Mitchell at pmitchel@ncsu.edu.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

Danny, on page 2-4 of the manual it shows different schedules for the three groups. If I go by that is that where you leave it till you get as dry as you want it? Or do you up the dry bulb as the MC goes down as the chart shows?
Like on group 2:
If I start at 40% mc I set the DB at 100° when the MC gets to 34% I up the DB to 110° and then 120° after mc gets below 25% till I'm finish? Then same thing as the chart shows on the WB?

Glenn1

Hi Ricky,

Once you get below 25% or better yet 20%, you leave the db at 120 degrees and the wb at 75 degrees.  When you get to 6%-7%,  you turn off the compressor, turn the db to 150 degrees and leave the wb at 75%.  The wb at that point is not working as you turned off the compressor.  Make sure that the wood gets above 135 degrees for 6-12 hours. Then you are finished. 

xlogger

thanks Glenn I see that and hope I can keep a supply of wood under 20% waiting to go in the kiln. But just in case I have a higher % than 25 or higher that is what I was wondering.

WDH

Quote from: xlogger on February 25, 2016, 11:46:46 AM
If I start at 40% mc I set the DB at 100° when the MC gets to 34% I up the DB to 110° and then 120° after mc gets below 25% till I'm finish? Then same thing as the chart shows on the WB?

Yes, follow that schedule in the manual.  However, to keep the DB temp at the right level, you will likely have to open the vents.  My DB will get too high with just the heat from the fan motors, and I have to vent to keep it down to the target range.  This is even with the heater turned off.  All depends on how well insulated your kiln is. 

Thank You Sponsors!