iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying cottonwood - how to seal the ends?

Started by opticsguy, February 21, 2016, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Here in Washington State, my "forest" has few large trees except cottonwood.  I needed some "big" slabs for an upcoming project.  So, yesterday I cut 16 slabs 2" thick x 22" wide x 6 feet long.  Cottonwood can very easily split at the ends when drying.  My friend recommended latex paint for a seal. I was thinking more of an oil based paint.
So, what is recommended as an end seal for Cottonwood? These slabs are already stacked and sticker-ed. 
Thank you.   :)
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Tom the Sawyer

Cottonwood can split easily on the ends.  I would double-coat the ends with AnchorSeal and make sure that your stickers are as close to the ends of the boards as possible, yet still in line vertically.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

bkaimwood

X2...water based can bleed into the wood, oil based is slightly better, but anchorseal is best...I know lots of guys who use the first two with no complaints, no problems...wood isn't cheap, neither are the slabs you have, so a couple bucks extra at best for the right product would be, and is my choice...
bk

jtflynn

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The sooner the better.  Ttry covering the ends with burlap while waiting for the Anchorseal to arrive.  Note that some ended checking is due to stress which coating does not control.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

opticsguy

Could not find any Anchor Seal locally. So will need to order.  In the mean time, how about Thompson's water seal?  I know it is just thinner and paraffin mix.
Will this product work for week or two or three? I have a 5 gallon supply and have no other use for this product.
Oh, by the way, what is Anchor seal made of???
Thanks for everyone's replies, I learn a lot here!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The Thompson product will not work for this use.  Anchorseal is put on to form a thick coating.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

landscraper

Hey Opticsguy,

I have family out on Lopez a little southwest of you, and used to have some down in Port Townsend too.

Good luck on the cottonwood.  The opinions range on the benefits of anchorseal, there is another thread discussing it right now.  I believe it is a paraffin wax emulsion. 

I use wax sealant on some of the wood products I saw, not others.  Depends on the intended use and proclivity for splitting/cracking.  I know nothing about cottonwood, so I would defer to the folks who do.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Thank You Sponsors!