iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Saw

Started by SasquatchMan, April 07, 2004, 05:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SasquatchMan

Husky 55r or Stihl MS270?  Same price around here right now (on sale).  My buddy wants a good firewood saw.  Any insight as to the 270 (the 55r has a good rep I know, but I haven't heard much about the new 270).
Senior Member?  That's funny.

oldsaw-addict

My vote goes to the 55Rancher. its got a great rep behind it so I vote for it. If I dont know the track record of a particular model, I go with another brand that has an equal or better saw for a similar price. In this case I have no idea how the MS270 is so I vote for the 55Rancher.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Ed_K

I looked over the 270 a week ago, and still would go with the 55r. I had one for 3 yrs, doing cordwood. It was a nice running saw, did in excess of 100 cords. It didn't wear out, I just traded it in on a 345 to do timber stand improvement work. Its a little lighter.
Ed K

Corley5

Husky 372XP. ;) 8) 8) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SasquatchMan

:D :D :D  Naturally.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Hunter

Dolmar 7900, since the 6400 and the 7300 weight the same.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

oldsaw-addict

QuoteDolmar 7900, since the 6400 and the 7300 weight the same.
Hunter

Why not a PP7900? I should have expected the 372 to come in somewhere. :D Every mans definition of a firewood saw is different. Mine is whatever saw is nearest to my hands. :D

jrb34

Beyond the obvious--buy the saw sold and maintained by the dealer you trust the most--the choice comes down to old reliable technology versus unproven new technology.

After talking it over with my Stihl dealer (no good Husky dealer nearby) for about six months, I bought a 270 over a 260 on his recommendation and have been very pleased with it. Excellent anti-vibration, revs like crazy and cuts very smoothly with RS chain, balances and handles easily with 16-inch bar. I'm not thrilled with the extra pound of weight over the 260, but its weight compares favorably with the 55. As a midrange firewood saw, it works for me.

In the Husky line it's probably more comparable to the 353 than the 55R. A neighbor has a 55R and loves it for its uncomplicated reliability. The 270 is unproven after only a year on the market, but my Stihl dealer says he hasn't had any come back with problems yet, and the folks he's sold them to have been very pleased, as am I.
JRB

Hunter

that saw should handle your needs just fine. Dont forget the safety wear as well. A good set of chaps are a must in my opinion.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

oldsaw-addict

I just got back from the stihl dealer, I aint buyin one anytime soon, the prices here are unbelieveable! they want about $750 or so just for an MS440! I swear, they are just nuts, I'm stayin with my huskies, they rin well parts are cheap, available nearly anywhere. and to add to this, the parts I need are usually only about $3.25 at the Husky dealer 2x more from stihl.Sorry Andreas Stihl, but you just lost a sale. I'm goin for a PP7900.the western auto carries parts for Dolmar and Jonsered saws but the parts clerk, lord have mercy on my soul, I spen a good 10 minutes with him this morning trying to get him to understand I was talking about pitch not gauge on sawchain. Next time.I may just take over the whole shop.

beenthere

Now OS_A, with all that good talk about Husky's, for what reason were you even thinkin' about a Stihl?   ::)  Maybe you just were wishin you could move up?  Just teasin, and readin between the lines of what you wrote. ;D

But, I rarely have had a need for those parts for my Stihl - still runnin great and cuttin great after 29 years this month (bought in 1975). I'm not a full time chainsaw operator, I will admit. 7 to 10 cords of firewood a year and a few mbf of logs for lumber. Nothing major so that saw should still (Stihl?) be runnin great, right?

Enjoy those Husky's.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oldsaw-addict

I may make ONE exception to my statement about Stihls, and thats an 075 I'm lookin at. I aint tellin who has it or where, ITS MINE ALLL MINE! :D :D :D get away.

tony_marks

ive got an 026. its as good a saw as i know of. but if i was cutting up firewood ,id rather have the exstra pound o wt,on the 270.. the 26 was made with the arborist in mind.. lotsa power ,very little wt.. to me thats where it excels.
 i mite add that if i was going tobe cutting firewood regular ,,and wanted to be just plain lazy. id use my 372. all u gotta do is just hold it strait and catch it before it trys to dig to china.

oldsaw-addict

Quote ive got an 026. its as good a saw as i know of. but if i was cutting up firewood ,id rather have the exstra pound o wt,on the 270.. the 26 was made with the arborist in mind.. lotsa power ,very little wt.. to me thats where it excels.
 i mite add that if i was going tobe cutting firewood regular ,,and wanted to be just plain lazy. id use my 372. all u gotta do is just hold it strait and catch it before it trys to dig to china.
I wasnt informed that we were digging to china, I'll go get my shovel. I meant the tunnel boring machine.

tony_marks

redpowerd

you know your done when your revvin saws in the basement at two in the mornin and the only one to hear it is swede! :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!