iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Old Beauty

Started by scottr, November 30, 2004, 05:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottr

Gizmo , a quick check would be to see if the plug wire reads about 4k ohms to ground . Scott

gizmo

Just picked up a 2MG Mall with all the trimmings. Looks quite original. Only problem is the plug wire ripped off about 2 inches from where the plug goes. The guy said he had it runnning nut it would stall when it got hot. I think he was mixing 40:1 but I didn't ask questions. What is the mix 12:1 ?? Any info on this flash to the past would be appreciated. I'll try to send a pic.

]

sawguy21

That is a keeper. Don't the missus and the dog object to it in the living room?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gizmo

It's in the family room and the dog kinda looks at it like company and theres no oil in it so it's not marking its' spot on the rug. The missus just thinks I'm crazy for buying more JUNK!! I think it's pretty Nostalgic myself...Sure would love to hear it run but the ole Gal doesn't seem to be gettin Spark.. Any help out there is appreciated.

Al_Smith

Those old Malls,are kind of neat,but I served a sentence on the dummy end of a model 7,many years ago. :)

scottr

Gizmo , is the insulation ripped off of the wire or is the wire also broken ? Scott

gizmo

The wire is bare towards the end but it's not getting spark. I think it has a bad coil. I take it the on/off switch is the button on top of the handle??It's a push pull type thing.

Jeff

Chet and I was watching the collector that was displaying at the Paul Bunyan show at Hocking university as he an a helper were working on his restored version that would not fire. I remember him mentioning the coils were always a problem on that one for him. Nother feller there asked where he got replacements and he was vague and pretty tight lipped.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scottr

Gizmo , it's possible if it ran for a short time and then quit the coil is breaking down (heat is causing an internal arc inside of the coil) . Can you give the coil the wiff test for a fried /burnt smell ? Do you have an ohm meter ? Scott

Al_Smith

The coils,are rare as a hens tooth,for the old Malls.I see dead old Malls,at many farm auctions.They don't bring a lot,in this neck of the woods.My uncle,used to belt the old model  7,up to the pulley of a John Deere b,using a long combine vee belt.It would be easier to rope start a Harley,than that old saw,if you know what I mean.I got in on the tail end,of the use of these old giants[early 60 s].Once you got them started,they cut ok[I didn't know any different] ,but you had to really lean on them,to keep the chips[big ones] flying.After the dirct drives became used,you could tell if an old Mall was running,2 miles away.The governer would fluctuate,up and down,unless it was under a good load.Neat to see them,at shows,just don't want to use them :)

gizmo

Scottr,
I've got an ohm meter and stuff but the weather is getting cold and I don't want to get frostbite in the fingers. How do you check the coil with an ohm meter?? It would be neat to get it running just for the sake it works, or else I'll hang her on my cabin wall for conversation. I remeber my father cutting trees in his yard with a borrowed saw from my uncle whom had a farm. Had to be in the late 50's and I remember them spinning the saw head. Didn't know it had to do with carberation back then but now it's understandable. I'll never forget when he said to hold the plug wire then pulled the rope. Pert near knocked me on my a## and then he said guess it's getting spark. God Bless him up in Gods Country now.......

Chris J

I notice that no one mentioned Chain Saw Collectors Corner, CSCC, acresinternet.com.  That would be a good for some overall info on your Mall; the site also has a classified want ads section.  Mall saws & parts show up on ebay, also try a google search for vintage chainsaw parts.  There are at least two members here on FF who are veteran chainsaw collectors & restorers.  In fact one of them has already posted a reply.  Nice saw, & hope you get it running.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Lewis Brander

Hello Gismo. I did some checkin on Mike's site. The Magneto is a Bendix Scintilla for that saw, which is the same magneto for my old Disston, model D0-101. I got a new coil from: < www.oldmercs.com >, go there and click on Grubb's catolog and click on ignition parts. The coil I got is part # 399-125 for $41.75. It fits all Bendix Scintilla magnetos (1 & 2 cylingers) from the 1947 to the 1955 period. The old coils were a problem in that the outer covering of the coils would crack and disintergrate allowing moisture in and corrosion to take place and the coils would short internally. Check them our. Hope this helps. The coil I got from them throws one hot spark. Make sure the points are dressed and cleaned properly and that the condencer is not leaking before you order the coil. They list a condencer also part # 399-123 for $4.00, but not sure if it is the same as yours. Don't think you'll find points, but look to see if something will match your application. Hope this helps. If you have more questions contact me by email. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

gizmo

Scott,
As far as the coil I haven't had the time to get out in the garage and check the ohms etc. I really appreciate the info and as I get to it I'll keep you posted.....Thanks

John

gizmo

Lewis,
 I saved your message and printed a hard copy of where to get the parts if needed. That was some really great info on where to get the items etc. I'll be in touch with you as time goes on. This forestry forum is a really informative place and I appreciate everyones input. I'll keep you's posted on the findings with the saw as time goes on but I'll be quite busy till after Christmas to really delve into getting it runnig. I wish everyone one here a Merry  Christmas and keep the information coming..............

John

Lewis Brander

Gismo. Thanks for the reply. I really hope you can get her going with a little tinkering and TLC. Some of the old saws aren't that hard to work on, but they can be tempermental. Good luck and Keep Us Posted. Happy Holidays to all. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

weimedog

I noticed reference to "Grub's" web site...He's a Mercury Outboard guy..One of the best sources of old Mercury parts..period.

Any of you old saw guys dabble in old out boards as well? My interest is in the mid to late 1950's era 4 cylinder mercs. My current project is a merc MK58A..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Lewis Brander

Hi wiemedog. My father had a few boats with Merc Outboards on them. When they ran they ran good, but when they didn't they were a problem. One he had, had a moisture problem and it affected a lot of the electrical components on the engine, especially the rectifyer system. There was always alot of corrosion around it. He finally got rid of it. He also had Johnsons and Evenrudes. I had a couple old 2 cylinder opposed evenrudes at one time I tinkered with. I think they initially use Castor oil and alcohol for fuel mix. Both had bronze type cast cylinders on them that cracked form lack of cooling waater getting to them. Couldn't find the cylinders for them and gave them away. An old dealer here had an actic full of old parts, spent days looking to match them up and nothing. I have better luck searching for saw parts on the net. Course if the computer had existed when I was a kid, maybe it would have made a difference. I have a guy I know that has a couple old saws and a bunch of old Evinrudes he tinkers with, but will not give up the saws. Thought I'd mention that since this a chainsaw forum. Happy Holidays to all. Lewis.

Thank You Sponsors!