iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric log splitter

Started by doctorb, November 12, 2010, 09:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlicketyCat

Yep, 2/3 a cord sounds about right.  I normally do all my calcs using the 4' across the bed for the whole height since we have a winch mount in the bed up against the cab that takes a bit of the space... figure it comes out about even that way.  The mount is a bit of pain since it means we can't put 8' lumber on the floor without it sticking out the tailgate, but it certainly makes it easier to winch big stuff up into the bed -- like logs, moose, and our atv.

Of course, having all your wood different lengths doesn't help with the stacking or the guesstimating either. Another bit of "good housekeeping" we hope to correct this year ;)
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

horseman 2

Hi guys I am new to the forum, but I found an log splitter back in the early 80's that has been adopted by every wood cutter in this area that sells firewood, and I didn't see it mentioned  yet so I will tell you about it.It is called a super split or super splitter and you can get it with an electric motor, it has a 3 second cycle, that's right 3 seconds, it will outsplit all the hydraulics except the really big ones with the six way wedges, it is actually an old idea reborn, no hydraulics,just two flywheels constantly in motion.  It is made somewhere in
new England, like I said all the boys who sell fitted wood have these.  god luck.

horseman 2

my bad the super split actually has been mentioned    Horseman

John Mc

Quote from: horseman  2 on February 04, 2011, 09:33:28 AM
my bad the super split actually has been mentioned    Horseman

Yep... it's got quite a following in a number of threads here.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dean186

Quote from: horseman  2 on February 04, 2011, 09:06:47 AM
It is called a super split or super splitter and you can get it with an electric motor, it has a 3 second cycle, that's right 3 seconds,

The Super Split with the electric motor would be a different beast.  I came very close to buying one with the electric motor last year, but went hydraulic instead.

Al_Smith

You can stuff a cord on a full size pick up but it's up above the roof .Not really a good plan .Plus you'll have about 2 tons or more .Gets a tad top heavy .

Now about a splitter .The source of power weather gasoline or electric means little as long as it's ample .However most commercial made electrics are  light duty and as such aren't overly blessed with power . You could outsplit them with an axe but you can't out last them .They may be a little slower but they don't get tired ,take coffee breaks etc . Besides that being a little slower you might not get as tired yourself .

ErikC

I never saw less beer cofee breaks because of using a splitter. Just more wood getting split between breaks :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

Well yes but swing that axe and see how many you take . Being kind of a fuss about that the Budweiser stays in thr frig if I'm swinging an axe or running a splitter but I more than make up for it when the works done . Besides though if I gave it up completely they'd had to lay off a shift at the Bud plant .I certainly wouldn't want to be blamed for more unemployment ,ya know . :)

bandmiller2

Those super splits are quite a machine using a smaller motor/engine and a large heavy flywheel.A tree service guy I know has two and put mountains of wood through them.Their built locally,had several talks with the owner,asked him about liability if sued he said many have tried.He owns nothing everything is leased and rented,kinda like getting a blood transfusion from a stone.Theirs nothing wimpy about electric motors,and their sure easy to start.A three horse 220v motor would replace most engine models just plug it into your welder outlet.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

The HP rating of electric motors is often misunderstood .

To get true HP the motor must use 746 watts per HP anything less is less power ,plain and simple . In comparrison to a gas engine if the proper sized electric motor is applied a much smaller electric produces the same as a gasser of several times more HP ratings .

Several cases in point .Look for example at electric bandmills in comparrisson to gasoline powered and note the usage of supposedly smaller electric motors power rated wise .

Further more you can run anything electrical for a fraction of the cost of gasoline  and get the same or more power .Less maintainence and a host of reasons why electric in some cases would be the route to go . Again it all depends on the application ---and perhaps how long of an extension cord you own . :D

PlicketyCat

The smaller electric worked for us since we don't have many really big trees and our generator is really fuel-efficient.

But just having a splitter is going to save us the eventual shoulder surgery from swinging an axe... it's so worth it!  If we luck into any really fat logs that won't split in the little electric or with a good whack by hand, maybe we can sweet-talk our neighbor and borrow his homemade powder-fired splitter. That sucker rockets through just about anything (he demonstrated with a 4' long x 3' diameter spruce log), and lord knows we have a few shotgun shells that could be put to use  :D
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

Al_Smith

:D Gun powder ,heavens .

The little splitter I have will pop 3 foot oak if it's fairly straight .It however has a single stage pump and you can stall it . If they made a small multi stage pump with about 2 gallon per minute I think it would split anything .

That never got persued because I built the gasser with an 11 HP Briggs and a multi stage pump so the little electric doesn't see much action these days . The itty little electric was a freebie and all have in it was my time of mounting the motor which I had anyway .

When I did use the electric and I ran into a tough piece I just broke out an old Mac 650 gear drive saw and ripped it .That old Mac will gnaw through anything .

Thank You Sponsors!