iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

??? POPLAR ???

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 14, 2013, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What are you guys paying for delivered and bucked to length, POPLAR LOGS?

I bought 1438 BF today for $140 / thousand. I had to dicker a little but I didn't know how far the spaulting had gone into the logs from each end plus these were yard trees. This guy is a tree remover and I told him the
"metal factor" cane into play.

I drove 20 minutes to look at them. The logs were stacked off the ground and had been there for about year.

The guy delivered them to the mill for this price, also has about 1500/BF to bring tomorrow.

I started sawing them right away just to see what the lumber looked like......I was impressed.

I'll be sawing half of them 5/4 and the rest 1 inch. 8, 10 and 12" wide.

Just curious what POPLAR was selling for Bucked and delivered.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

The only price I know of up here is pine a $250 a tho. I think you did great!
Haul half of it to me and I will pay you 20 cent a BF CASH MONEY!!!!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

drobertson

No Brainer, going rate, I think you know this or you would not have done it,  good siding, and misc. nice logs, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I agree David....I did know this was a good price. I just have not bought POPLAR in a long time. I was just fishing for the highest price someone has paid for it.

WDH

Felled, skidded, loaded on a log truck, and hauled to a mill here in Central Georgia, yellow poplar is bring about $350/MBF Doyle Scale.  That would be $44/ton x 8 tons/MBF = $352. 

That is good looking lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bugdust

Poplar is plentiful here, and I have lots of it. The only problem is there's not much request for it. I sold a couple hundred board feet recently to two individuals. The first put it on an interior wall in an airplane hanger, and the other was building a screened-in porch. I sawed poplar for lap siding and put clear waterproofing stain on it, and that really brought out the grain. Poplar is easy to work with and will accept most any stain. I used walnut stain on clear poplar and it looked just like walnut. If I saw, mill and sell I usually get .35-.50/bdft. In other words Dave, you did pretty good.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Brucer

Personally I don't buy the stuff. It's not very poplar around here :D.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

fishpimp

Nice buy. Nice logs and great lookin clear boards.
Just remember . Poplar bark can bring more than 2$ s sq.
If good grade and in season which is very soon b over if not already.

rmack

Quote from: fishpimp on August 15, 2013, 07:46:34 AM

does that have to be 2" thick or better?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

acrosteve

People buy poplar bark?
Timberking B-20

NCDiesel

Quote from: acrosteve on August 15, 2013, 08:41:31 AM

People buy poplar bark?

For siding.   Fully processed and milled it goes for big money I understand but I know of no mills.

By the way, half-rounds of bark from immature trees make great troughs/sluices.  As a boy I re-routed many a creek  with it.  Those were good days, re-engineering waterways and catching crawdads.
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Philngruvy

Poplar bark makes beautiful shingles for siding under eaves, etc.
I am not sure how thick it needs to be but apparently you cut the bark around the log to the desired length, then split it the length of the log and peel it off.  Lay it out flat to dry.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Raider Bill

Quote from: Philngruvy on August 15, 2013, 09:31:29 AM
Poplar bark makes beautiful shingles for siding under eaves, etc.
I am not sure how thick it needs to be but apparently you cut the bark around the log to the desired length, then split it the length of the log and peel it off.  Lay it out flat to dry.

I saw a house in Tenn where the guy used poplar bark for his soffit and 1 outside wall. Looked great. Said it was 10 years old and that he never had bug issues with it
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

It has to be peeled in the early Spring when the trees break dormancy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2013, 04:47:57 PM

Very good point Danny.....the bark on these logs in my OP are toast.

ST Ranch

I can not believe that those logs are 1 year old.  Any poplar or cottonwood that I have growing with my spruce will go soft and rotten in a few months - core rot being the most common.  Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

nk14zp

Quote from: ST Ranch on August 15, 2013, 07:33:23 PM
I can not believe that those logs are 1 year old.  Any poplar or cottonwood that I have growing with my spruce will go soft and rotten in a few months - core rot being the most common.  Tom
Same here.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The last several posting are thinking that the original discussion on poplar refers to aspen poplar.  The original posting was about yellow poplar (also called tulip poplar) which is not related at all to aspen poplar, black poplar, balm of Giliad, or cottonwood.  These latter species are in the POPULUS genus while yellow poplar is in the LIRIODENDRON genus.  Yellow poplar is mainly in the SE U.S.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ga Mtn Man

GeneWengert-WoodDoc...a very POPLAR guy. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

John_Haylow

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 15, 2013, 11:57:03 PM
The last several posting are thinking that the original discussion on poplar refers to aspen poplar.  The original posting was about yellow poplar (also called tulip poplar) which is not related at all to aspen poplar, black poplar, balm of Giliad, or cottonwood.  These latter species are in the POPULUS genus while yellow poplar is in the LIRIODENDRON genus.  Yellow poplar is mainly in the SE U.S.

We get the Aspen Poplar around here. Is there much difference between the two?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

rmack

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 15, 2013, 11:57:03 PM

I have seen the same colour/grain patterns in the Cottonwood on my property, but I have never seen that many boards lay flat or straight at the same time.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

beenthere

Yes John, different woods and different characteristics.
But both have their particular drying differences that should be taken into account.

Like cherry and oak are different, so is aspen and yellow poplar.
Aspen is often named and discussed as "popple" .
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

acrosteve

Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2013, 04:47:57 PM

Good to know.

I did not search for it but, bark aside, is there a optimum time to cut a tree down?  Say I have a tree that I know will be cut down, but i have any of the 12 months to do it in.

I have always though that when the tree is dormant would be better than when it was full of sap, but your post about the bark made me curious.
Timberking B-20

WDH

In the winter, when the tree is dormant, the cambium is not active and the bark is "tight".  In the Spring when the cambium springs into action, the bark is said to have "slipped", and it is easy to peel off in many species.  As time goes on and Summer arrives, the bark "tightens" up again. 

Magicman

I think that my cambium has slipped.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!