iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wire / nails in a log is not the end of the world.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 04, 2014, 12:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've got 4 logs I pulled from the burn pile one of my Tree Service guys brought in.
He did the right thing.....I had kindly asked him if logs have wire.....go direct to the burn pile.

There was 4 / 12 foot Cedars logs with fence wires in the bottom 4 foot.

I have sawn 1 so far and it came out great. The bottom is the natural log and the top is a 6x6. The 6x6 post is centered on the log.  I'll sell these as rustic sign post.
1 customer from another town is on his way to get this one this afternoon. $100 bucks ain't bad for a wiry log.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Dave Shepard

POSTON, you must get a lot of lemons, because you are always making lemonade.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redbeard

Your creative ideas just keep getting better and better.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

QuoteI have sawn 1 so far and it came out great. The bottom is the natural log and the top is a 6x6. The 6x6 post is centered on the log.  I'll sell these as rustic sign post.

Clever, cool, and creative... how you get that 6x6 to balance on the end of that log...   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

goose63

And only 100 bucks should be 300 8) 8) 8) good looking idea you got there
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

Great idea. Did you have to hang it off the end of your mill to get the last 2 cuts square?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

ladylake

I had to saw 7 like that only bigger and longer for a tree house with the log part underneath and the square part above the floor 11 feet to support the timber framed walls . The biggest logs was 26' long with a 12" square x 11' . It was taking about 45 minutes for each one as these were too long to use the toe boards and had to be lifted with the skid loader and then blocked up level with the first cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kczbest

Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on August 04, 2014, 03:42:05 PM
Great idea. Did you have to hang it off the end of your mill to get the last 2 cuts square?

Nope....I sawed it just like a regular log, keeping the pith the same height from the bed on each cut.

drobertson

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 04, 2014, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: Deese on August 04, 2014, 02:46:51 PM
Gorilla Glue  ;D :D ;D :D

I didn't want BEENTHERE to know my secret.  :D
He already knows, ;D  nice work there, again,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sawed my customers his and I took 1 to use as a sign pole.

Did a little work to it.....

Dug a hole and carried the Cedar to the highway where it'll go.....

Put it in the hole....plumbed it with braces and put dirt around it.

Then put a little saw dust around for good looks.

Then took a break to cool off and cut a few fresh picked Cantaloups. Emmmmm!

Gonna hang a saw blade on it......more pics later.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on August 04, 2014, 04:14:49 PM

I had to saw 7 like that only bigger and longer for a tree house with the log part underneath and the square part above the floor 11 feet to support the timber framed walls . The biggest logs was 26' long with a 12" square x 11' . It was taking about 45 minutes for each one as these were too long to use the toe boards and had to be lifted with the skid loader and then blocked up level with the first cut.   Steve

These would really make nice porch post on a cabin too.
They are aggravating to saw Steve,  :D

Delawhere Jack

You use a lot of 60d spikes. Is that because that 12lb sledge is your only hammer?  :D

NMFP

I cut a few like that a few years ago, but they were cut 8x8 on each end and the middle was left natural, similar to how the base is on those you have sawn.  The aggravating part there is making sure you have the sides square so that when each end is rested on two beams, there isn't a twist in it. 

Nice idea though for a sign.  Amazing what you can do with junk!

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Since you have dropped your prices to $100, I will take a bench  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 04, 2014, 08:11:08 PM
Since you have dropped your prices to $100, I will take a bench  :D.

You must watch "Last Comic Standing"....... :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

hey poston , im not trying to tell you what to do but when you hang the sawblade you might want to use several. since they are ony 1.5 inches wide it will be hard to read what is written in it as you drive by. ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 04, 2014, 08:49:45 PM
hey poston , im not trying to tell you what to do but when you hang the sawblade you might want to use several. since they are ony 1.5 inches wide it will be hard to read what is written in it as you drive by. ;D

Dad Burn You !!!! You stole my joke.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have a bigger circle blade ready to hang up, but I was gonna hang a 10 degree up there for a funny pic.
You're starting to read my mine.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D......You're good if you can figure me out.  :)

Deese

Turtle  :D.
:D :D That's Funny Right There.  :D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!