iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using green oak for beams

Started by rvrdivr, November 01, 2004, 06:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

Hello again everyone. I am building a pole barn and wanted to use oak beams that I want to cut myself to run between the pole which the trusses will then sit on.
The trusses will be here in 4 or 5 weeks, and I have not yet cut my beams. There is only going to be a few weeks between the time I cut them till the time I use them. Will using green wood be a proplem? I am cutting some to 3"x10"x 15 feet. The logs have been sitting for three months if that makes any differance?
Thanks again.
Brian

ARKANSAWYER

Most timber framing is done with green wood and in the days of old that was all it was done with.  Put in good kickers and you will be fine.   If you have ever tried to drive a nail in dry oak you will know why they built with green.   I have felled the tree and sawed up a beam and put it in place in the same day.  Very little sag and no problems.  Center the pith in the timber and realize that it will shrink in width and thickness but not in length.(that you can tell)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

rvrdivr

Great, I just wondered if I was going to run into a sag or warp proplem. Thought maybe a trip to the lumber yard would be the fix. I originally wanted to cut all the wood for a traditional framed roof, but got to thinking about how long it was going to take me to do it all. I need a roof now :)

Thankyou

DR Buck

Arky,

Thanks for the input.  I'm breaking ground for my pole barn this week and am facing the same issue.  Don't think I'm going to use trusses though Probably just go with a 2x10 oak ridge board and 2x6 pine rafters on 24" OC covered with tin.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jim_Rogers

Dr_Buck:
2x6 pine sounds kind of light for rafters.
What's the run or span of the building and what's the rise?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DR Buck

Jim,

Span is 24 ft.  12 ft either side of center.  Pitch will be about 6 / 12.

Dave (aka DR_Buck)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Furby

That's about a 13 1/2' run, give or take a little.
Even with that pitch and the tin, I'd still do a min. of 2x8 at 24"o.c., 2x10 would be better.

If you do use the 2x6, don't space them more then 16" o.c., 12" is even better.

Just my 2 cents! ::)

iain

DR   you got any purlin's in on that span 6x2 is very skinny probably bouncy to in a bit of wind
rv     dont forget to install with any bow upwards

Jim_Rogers

The next thing you need to consider, even if it is a tin roof, is snow load.
What is the snow load for your area? If you don't know you should find out. Then add the snow load and dead load (the actual weight of the roof materials themselves) to get the combined load, and see what size rafter will correctly support that load at that spacing.
With a tin roof the snow load duration will be less but you still need to figure for the max at any one time.
Don't make the mistake I made and make your rafters too small and spread out too far.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

HOGFARMER

I have also used green oak to frame several farm buildings and have never had any problems with it.  It sure is easier to nail it up green than to try and nail it after it has dried.  Good luck, you should not have any problems with it.
Manual LT-30

Ga_Boy

I have a general question about using Oak for framing material.

A local horse lady is giving me about 20 or so Pin Oaks.  Is Pin Oak suitable to cut into 2X for framing a barn?

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Buzz-sawyer

I think it is really suitable,,,,,most pin is cut into pallet stock, it is knotty and checks like crazy but the horses dont mind :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Larry

The reason a lot of it goes into pallet stock is that it is pretty shaky.....take a good look at the logs first.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

HOGFARMER

I framed a corn crib with it and it worked ok.  It does seem to rot easily if it gets much moisture.
Manual LT-30

Thank You Sponsors!