iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build pics.

Started by Tim_W, January 10, 2020, 02:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim_W

Just wanted to share a few photos of my timber frame build.  Took 18 months, but was a blast.  16 X 20 frame, 12' to the top of the plates.  8 x 8 posts, 8 x 10 tie beams, 5 x 6 rafters.   Top plates twisted, that was a challenge.  All Ponderosa Pine.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for sharing. I've watched all your videos.
They were nice.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I've watched all of your videos, also. Looks great. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

trimguy

Looks great. How do I look up the videos that you speak of ?

Biocmp

I would also like to see a link to the videos, the frame looks great.

Dave Shepard

Great Plains Craftsman on YouTube. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tim_W

Thank you Jim and Dave.  I have used knowledge from both of you on this forum in that build, Jim's helpful posts on timber framing, and I used your dimensions Dave for my frame as well.  Restoring the Millers Falls was the first step, thank you Jim with help sourcing a few parts and tips on that machine as well.  

The videos show all the challenges, and how I worked though them.  It took me a long time to build it in my spare time, so the timbers sat a while through the summer months.  Ponderosa has strength, but is a bit unstable so I had to learn how to cut the joints in twisted timbers.  I was not as difficult as it first seemed, so to those concerned about that, it is doable.  You just have to get over the frame looking perfect, because that probably never happens.  There are a few things I would do differently, but the experience made me a better builder for sure.  Can't wait to do another one! 

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

I'm going to check out the vids.  Tim, you can put your location in your profile and it will show up in your posts so we then know what area/state etc you are in.

Looks good.  what's it going to be for?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

I like it.
Just a wondering, why the 2 different type siding?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

looks great.  I guess if it rains and you get splashing, it will be on the corrugated metal and not the B&B.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

Tim  Nice job. If you run out of things to do you could come to Nebraska and build one for me for a hide out cabin on one of my farms. 

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Greyman

Quote from: thecfarm on January 14, 2020, 05:54:33 AM
I like it.
Just a wondering, where the 2 different type siding?
For the snow I'm guessing.

Tim_W

Quote from: thecfarm on January 14, 2020, 05:54:33 AM
I like it.
Just a wondering, why the 2 different type siding?

For fire.  We have a lot of wildland fires here, and the steel will help protect the building from that.  I also like the looks of it. ;D

Tim_W

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 14, 2020, 12:46:22 AM
I'm going to check out the vids.  Tim, you can put your location in your profile and it will show up in your posts so we then know what area/state etc you are in.

Looks good.  what's it going to be for?

Will do Brad.  I think I am going to set up my smithy in there.  Will be a great workshop.  The loft will be for storage.  Thanks!

thecfarm

Was just a wondering, thank you. Good idea.
I was thinking, maybe you only had short trees.   :D   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TimFromNB

Hi Tim,

Nice work! I've watched many of your videos. The twisted timbers video helped me figure things out for my timbers. Thanks for sharing. 

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!