Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Crusarius

marcnaz

That's neat. Ya learn something new every day! Thanks for the post.
USAF Retired

WV Sawmiller

Neat jig set up with the table saw. May be faster and sure looks easier than using my tenon cutter. Results look about the same

I put mine in a vice and use a wrist breaking half inch drill with a tenon cutter.

Ash legs for stock

The table saw looks like a lot less wear and tear - my only concern would be the height adjustment on the blade to get the exact diameter on the peg/tenon. Once set they will certainly all be the same.

Rich's leg trimming looks just like my process which does give the same angle and height on each leg. Would work just as well for a 12' bench as a 3' one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

charles mann

Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

WLC

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing that tablesaw lathe.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Old Greenhorn

That is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob! I don't have a table saw, but I do have a radial arm saw. I am wondering how thick that blade is you have on your saw? What size is the threaded rod you run through the middle of the leg, and how deep do you go with it?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jaygtree

that's a lot easier way of cutting your bench legs the same length than how i've been doing it. thanks for the tip. also nice home made cylinder mill.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

WV Sawmiller

Here is a thread I posted the whole process I use. The best pictures start around reply 37. The sawmill works great not only to get the leg length right but it also cuts them all to the correct angle.

Still making benches in General Woodworking

One thing I noticed here was the addition of the board on the bottom. I like that if you wanted to use a 4/4 board or slab instead of 8/4 or larger. I used to make them with 4" thick slabs and bury the whole tenon in the slab but I find 8/4 is much lighter and still plenty strong. If you wanted to make a 12-16 ft bench you could just add extra legs along the way and still cut them all the same with one pass on mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 21, 2019, 04:30:44 PMWhat size is the threaded rod you run through the middle of the leg, and how deep do you go with it?
Way cool!

I'm thinking that he is just using a lag screw into a pre-drilled hole.  It both holds the piece of stock and provides the drill with a place to spin it.  Very nice.

Edit: I went back and looked again - he is using a regular bolt.  For the top end, I would use a sharpened bolt (like a center on a lathe) so there would be a minimal hole that could be cut off if the legs were through-mortised into the bench top.

As far as blade height, if you make the hole in the jig something like 3" off the table, then you would just set the blade to 2½" for a 1" tenon, 2¼" for a 1½" tenon and 2" for a 2" tenon.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

John S

Wish I was as creative as these two great ideas. I am good at learning from others, though.  Thanks for posting.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

richhiway

It is 3/8 threaded rod. I reversed one of those tap in  T nuts and bent the tab the other way to drive it.
I used two of these bearings on each end and double nutted the rod in. I filed the threads down on the non driven side.

Once you have the blade set to the right height,you lock it and all the legs are the same diameter. 

It is just a plain contractors blade. Maybe 3/32 kerf.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

richhiway

here is a photo of the finished table.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Pretty cool. How thick are those souped up table top cookies?
Howard Green

richhiway

Thanks 
two and three quarters. 

They have a lot of checking, but not to many cracks. 

This one had two cracks near the center and I brought it in the house unfinished for a month. It got one more crack on the outside. I screwed a pine board underneath with no glue to allow movement, so if it does crack in the future it will stay in one piece. 

Cookies are kind of a pain with the cracking but these are some pretty ones so I gave it a try.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

If you look close you can see the bowties in the cracks. First time I did those.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

kelLOGg

I've got pine cookies that have been drying for 5 yrs. I'm going to copy you, Richiway! Nice work and technique.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

richhiway

Quote from: kelLOGg on April 20, 2019, 07:03:28 AM
I've got pine cookies that have been drying for 5 yrs. I'm going to copy you, Richiway! Nice work and technique.
Bob
Did they crack? Make sure you post a picture.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!