iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Linn Mill

Started by iffy, November 03, 2013, 08:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

Way back in 05 I bought a head parts kit from Linn Lumber and got the head frame welded up and the drive wheels mounted before I had to put it on the back burner while a built a shop, log home, and garage and then retired. We went to Canada and Alaska this summer and when we got back I decided it was finally time to finish the mill. The motor is a 17hp Kohler. Band wheels are 19". Vertical lift is via 1" acme screws linked together with 40 chain. Power drive is via wheelchair motors. Longitudinal drive is also 40 chain. For the vertical control, I just used a drum switch, as I did not feel it needed to be variable. I bought a 50 amp PWM motor controller for the longitudinal drive. As noted in the pictures, wheels can be removed so you don't have to stumble over them while walking back and forth. I am using manual clamping for now. Down the road it would not be much of a chore to convert everything to hydraulic. I suspect that I may have to belt up an automotive alternator to the engine to keep the battery charged. We will see. Have not cut a stick of wood with it yet but trial run is next week. Wanted to get pictures before it got all dirty.
Frame was going to be 5" channel, but I found some 3 x 5 x 3/16 new tubing in a salvage yard. It was in 16 to 17 ft lengths, so cut one piece in two and welded them on to the other two pieces and ended up with a bed that gives me over 22' of travel. I very much doubt there is a tree in Kansas that is straight for 22'.  :D

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mobile demensia

Nice work. Look forward to some pics of it covered in sawdust.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

mad murdock

Good job on the mill! Will be great to see it "dusted"up!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

Iffy, one of the better homebuilts I've seen.Enjoy your retirement mate things will start to get busy.If your not used to heavy lifting,get busy on the hydraulics. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

The only thing missing from that sawmill is a big ole log.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iffy

Oops. Just noticed I forgot to paint the bracket for the blade lube can. Probably one of many things I will find that need to be tweaked. A question for you experienced sawmillers: the package from Linn included one blade. I need to order a box of blades. I have a pile of ponderosa pine, oak, cedar, walnut, elm, ash, & hackberry to cut up. What blade configuration should I order?

drobertson

Good feeling for sure!  nice job!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Iffy, nice job on the mill. I built a Linn and have sawn 4 of the 6 types you listed. I tried Cook's and then Woodmizer's. I like the Woodmizer's much better. I'm using 10 degree, .042 x 1 1/4 with 7/8 tooth spacing. I've cut oak, ash (lots of ash), walnut, pine, basswood, cherry and maple with the same blades. my engine is 16 hp with 19" wheels.  Have fun.   ;)

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

qbilder

Nice job!!! I have a Linn with 16hp motor, all manual. I have pretty much settled on Lennox C-Sharp 7* blades for just about everything I cut, which is 90% hardwoods. One mod I plan to make is adding an extra bunk about 12-15" away from the second from back, so I can do short logs & burls. These mills are versatile & easily modded, easily maintained, and easy to operate.
God bless our troops

iffy

Already added an extra bunk @ 33". My bunks are bolted in so all I have to do is drill & tap 4 holes to add a bunk or move a bunk.

GAmillworker

Great job on the mill.

Thats a nice looking log home also.  Did you build it also?
Thank the Lord for second chances

iffy

Yes. That is why the mill build got delayed. We sold our mini farm during the housing peak in 2006. We purchased 52 acres about 15 mi away and moved into a camper while we built the log home. It is 9" Swedish cope. I built it myself for two reasons: one, I had enough money to buy materials but not labor and two, try to find someone in Kansas that knows how to build a log home. My wife claims there was only one reason, and that I'm too anal to allow someone else to build my house. Thanks for the compliment.

Okrafarmer

I like it, Iffy! Good work. I think I'm running 7° blades on my LT40-- whatever it is, it is the fairly standard one Woodmizer recommends for a mix of hardwoods and softwoods. It's either 7° or 9° with 7/8" spacing. I cut everything from white pine to black locust with it, no real problems I can see. Oak and pecan tire the blade quicker than I like, but locust strangely cuts well.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

fishpharmer

Iffy,  the mill turned out great!  I really like the removable hub/tires.  Do you still have the big ole John Deere 4020 with the loader?  It should be good for log handling. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

iffy

Yeh but I also have an old hydramac skid loader. I modified a set of forks to fit both the skid loader & the 4020. Anxious to cut my first log but this week am preparing for my elk hunt in Co next wk.

Magicman

First things first.  I wish you the best with the Elk Hunt.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iffy

Thanks. We haven't been seeing many elk the last few years. The locals where we hunt feel the  numbers are way down and tag numbers have been seriously in our unit. We used to be able to draw a cow tag on second choice. Now it takes 1 - 2 points. Talked 2 of my grandsons into drawing for youth tags in late season and they got tags. So I'm going on my regular hunt 4th season and again with the grandsons the week after Christmas. Going to do the whole tent/dutch oven thing to give them an authentic elk camp experience. My wife is frustrated by that universal wifey thing that says I am having too much fun but she can't say anything because it is our grandsons. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!