iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Non-Conventional Forest Products for the sawmill

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, January 27, 2014, 05:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

A pic of one of those Danish candles would be nice. Sounds like fun, but I just cannot figure out exactly what it would look like plus how big a round would you use?  6" 12" or bigger?  Thanks, Ernie.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: whitepine2 on January 30, 2014, 11:06:27 AM
  How about Danish candles,made by cutting a round lengthwise in an X almost all the way but making deeper cut in center at bottom.
Fuel oil is then dumped into bottom and lit off with paper,this will burn for hours as it makes it's own draft,fun in summer time outside
at nite.
             Whitepine2

You got pics?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

whitepine2

Yes Home Depot has them for sale $15 each I think easy money.
Yes I have white pine,oak,maple etc. about 120 acres of wood.
I have some pic.of the candle working,you can make them out of any size of dry wood the bigger the longer the burn,will try to load pic for you guys. Well now I tried but says I cant load my files will see what I can do????

WDH

You have to set up a gallery and load the pics to the gallery. 

Here is how to do it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

Hey Gene
These coffee mugs take a piece of wood 4"x 4"x 8" free of hart center, I am working on a full set of Oregon woods. These are pacific yew, black walnut, and black locust.
He sells them for $35 faster than he can make them, a large % pull apart in drying, and final turning.
He also makes a set of three, three legged square bowls, but those sets along with salad forks and spoons sell for much more, as do his other conventional style bowl sets.
I have a Myrtle wood mug and bowl set on order for over two years now, I have seen them but they are still drying  ;)

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

whitepine2

Quote from: WDH on January 30, 2014, 10:50:31 PM
You have to set up a gallery and load the pics to the gallery. 

Here is how to do it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

O.K. was looking for this,will try later tired at this time Thanks WDH

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.  I was able to write, what I think in excellent article with lots of pictures, and get it off to the editor today.  We'll see what he thinks.

Gene
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Whitepine2 sent me a picture which I am posting.  Here are the instructions that I wrote in the article.

Here is a novel idea.  Take a log that is about 18" long.  Cut three lengthwise slits all the way through from one side to the other using a chain saw, starting at the top and ending near the bottom (about 4 to 5" from the bottom).  Be safe; have the log securely anchored.  Then, withdraw the saw so the nose of the saw is in the center of the log; cut the slots in the center region a bit deeper (1") than the edges.  This is done so that oil can be poured in the top center and it will accumulate near the bottom and not run out the slots.  When ready to burn and with the log positioned vertically in a safe fire pit, then pour in a small amount of oil and light the oil, using a little paper perhaps or a long wooden match. The oil acts as a fire starter for the log,.  This log will burn for hours.  The slots provide fresh air for the fire.  I have heard these called Danish candles.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GAB

Doc:
I've seen this in a magazine a few years ago and if I was to look for it today I would start by looking in the past issues of the Sawmill and Woodlot Management magazine.
I made some out of basswood and put them in my veggie stand with a copy of the article on the wall.  Did not sell a single one.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

I'm a picture kind of guy. need to see that from the top.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Also called a Swedish log candle
http://survivaltek.com/?p=1727

More google hits when using Swedish log candle than when using "danish".

Some split a log with an ax, then reassemble the parts, hold them together with some rocks, and light to burn in a similar way. Then can set a pot or griddle on top for a "cook stove" of sorts.
Did that when in forestry on a wintery weekend stint in the forest to bring a pot of snow to boil water for coffee.
Several YouTube vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJtGlCBosFA
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

papow22

Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

bandmiller2

Gene, thought about you the other day, watching the history channel, showed the kung-foo types splitting pine boards. Maybe a club that's into that distructive behavior would buy all sorts of short scrap. Some gun clubs have what they call bowling pin shoots possibly chunks they could shoot then use in the clubhouse fireplace. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 02, 2014, 08:20:37 PMSome gun clubs have what they call bowling pin shoots possibly chunks they could shoot then use in the clubhouse fireplace.

That gives me an idea... how about rounds for skeet shooting?  Biodegradable, and you won't have clay pieces littering the ground.  Never mind... bad idea... forget I mentioned it... now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta call Bass Pro.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

SawyerBrown

Quote from: LittleJohn on January 28, 2014, 01:16:39 PM
Nope he had a whole pile of 9" - 18" pine logs that want to make siding out of and if we got lucky some 2x4 or what not. Of still sound simple, his idea for the side was take slabs off the logs that had a 4" - 6" with bark on so he could nail to the outside of the building as siding.  Well needless to say several week later, after all was said and done, their was his "siding", some 2x4's and pile of sawdust.

Note to self, trying to get a consitant slab to come off a tapered log is a lot harder than trying to find a straight boards when sawing.

LittleJohn, I have a pending job where the guy wants to do the same thing -- use the flitches as siding -- except these are red pine logs, 12-, 16-, and 20'ers, and he's going to take bark off.  He wants them 3" at the crown consistently the length of the flitch (so appreciate your challenge of a consistent slab off of a tapered log), so I made a little jig that sits on the log and hangs over the side, making it easier to get a measurement off the deck at any point along the length.  (Did you find a better way??)  Once we get the 4 flitches off, we'll square up the cant, and then cut 3x3's to use as trim around windows, and once we have enough of that we'll cut the rest into 2x construction lumber.

This is a really interesting guy -- into a little bit of everything.  He's big into using elk antlers -- tables, lamps, etc.  He even made a 4-story chandelier out of them and it's in some big resort hotel up in the Wisconsin Dells.  He was showing me a railing he's making to go around a big deck on a lake house out of rough-hewn pine for the railing, but using elk antlers for the balusters.  (Don't want to trip and fall into one of those things!).  He's got about 60' of railing to make using 362 elk antlers!  [Side note: I asked him where he gets elk antlers in central Illinois, and he just looked at me puzzled-like and said, "Well, an elk antler broker, of course!"   ::)  Apparently he wasn't kidding -- there are elk antler brokers that make a trip through Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc collecting them from people who know they'll be coming through.  Buy them by the pound.  The don't even complete their circuit before they have a semi load!  One of those little fun factoids that most of us will never need to know, but kind of interesting anyway]
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!