iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working for Peas... beans.. chicken sandwich... UH! Nothing? (merged thread)

Started by getoverit, January 12, 2006, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom, BuzzSawyer and Kirk Allen yesterday for a saw day at one of Tom's customer's places. We had a few hiccups during the day with water leaks and hydraullic hose breaks, but for the most part it was a pleasant day.

I'm sure there will be some more pictures coming along after this post, and I'm equally sure that Buzz has something he wants to show off too. He dissapeared for a little while into the homeowner's small engine shop and came back out with a trophy that had Kirk drooling  :D.... I'll let them tell you that story.

We went to lunch about 1pm and let Kirk and Buzz find out about what a REAL chicken sandwich is too :)

As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't have had a better day if I had planned it that way. It was a SUPER day for me  8)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jerry-m

Thanks for the report, looks like you had a great day 8)

Looking forward to " The Rest Of The Story" :) :) :)

Jerry
Jerry

Tom

Kirk and Buzz made it through North East Florida on their trip back home and stopped by my jobsite in Callahan.   Quick to put on gloves they dove right in, off-loading the mill and boosting my production considerably.  The day eventually netted almost 2,000 Board feet.    There's lots of stories to tell that I'll leave to them for now and I sure enjoyed the visit. 

They pulled out in the afternoon, about 4, and headed for a rendevouz with DanG in Tallahassee, about 3 hours away.   They were letting no grass grow under their feet because I got a call from Kirk about 9:30 pm and they were on their way to Dothan, Alabama.  Buzz had manufactured another set of brake and clutch pedals on the passenger side of the suburban.  :D

Kirk had to get a picture of this. He got his camera out and immortalized Buzz at the helm.

It's Me, Kirk, Billy(customer), Buzz and Getoverit with Buzz's "new" bow saw on the log.

Ken (Getoverit), as it turned out, was a friend of Ron and they went to school together. Ken's In-laws live behind where we were sawing. What a small world. Ken worked up quite a sweat off-bearing too. He, Buzz and Kirk made my day.  Ron would have been in the picture but volunteered to take it. 

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

jerry-m

Yes, That is fun and its always great to get to visit with like minded friends :)

Most cameras have a delay feature that will let everyone be in the picture... You will need a tri-pod to hold the camera... Then you have about 10 or so seconds to get in with the group :D

Good reading 8)     Thanks,   Jerry
Jerry

broker farmer

Looks like you might be working for a little "shine"?  What's all those buckets and barrels  around there?  Looks like a moon shine site to me!
What kind of "blue" mill is that?

Gilman

Jeff, you've been warned.  :o

You'll start you day eating grits and then you'll get;

Quoteput on gloves
Jobsite
Boosting
Production
Sweat
2,000 bf
Off Loading

And at the end of the day you're going to get paid in peas.  Don't come whining to us at the end of the day.  ;D ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

getoverit

Here's a picture of us all after lunch. Buzz just HAD to get that trophy picture of his Homlite chain saw with the big bow as part of the picture too  :D

from left to right, thats Tom, Kirk, Billy, Buzz, and Me all enjoying a good laugh and sharing the treasured prize of the old chain saw.

In the picture below, Tom had decided to let Buzz try his skills at operating the Baker band mill for a short time... it gave me and Kirk a short breather while they were instructing. Billy was amazed that so many people showed up to help with the offbearing, and I still dont think he understands why Buzz and Kirk took a vacation to visit other sawmillers in Florida just to help out with their mills. I'm glad they showed up though, not only did I have a good laugh or two, but I learned a LOT during the day too.

In the picture below, we were filling up the hydraullic tank with fluid - right after the hose busted. A quick trip to Callahan and we had a new one and ready to mill again.

Jeff

We need to do a little consolidation here. We got two almost identical threads running here...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

What we have here is a failure to communicate  :D

I didnt know Tom was posting, and he didnt know I was... thanks for straightening it all out Jeff :)

DanG

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on January 12, 2006, 09:47:56 PM
Deja-vu ?  ::)

All over again. :D :D

Well, I can't prove none of this, but the K&B traveling sawmill repair team showed up at my place about 5:15, to find me struggling with a bonafied mess.  I won't go into all the gory details, but I had been fighting this thing all day with NO success.  Turn's out, it was a six-handed job and I wouldn't have fixed it by myself in a million years.  They got me through the hard part and we had a few minutes of daylight left for a quick tour.  Buzz went for a ride on the Hootiemobile and had a grand time of it.  They both commented on the amount of sawdust around the mill, so I took them down the hill to see what a REAL sawdust pile looks like.  Then I had to give Buzz a little education about greens.  Ya see, this guy ain't never seen no rutabegas or collards growing. ???  Dark had about caught us by then, so we retired to my humble little "shop shed" where we engaged in some world-class BSing and busted a little fat lightered pine and I let Buzz beat me out of a few boards that he ain't never seen before. 

As I said, I can't prove a lick of what I just said.  I had brought the camera out there, and never took it out of the bag. :-[  Buzz took a few shots, though, so maybe he'll step up and verify some of what I told ya.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

iain

Hey Jeff should i ask your reason to live if your as tidy around the house,
as you are here? :D

iain

Kirk_Allen

Well we made it back to Illinois last night but like DanG, I got no proof of nutin.  Buzz had the camera and he wont be back home until some time this morning and then he will have to work on getting on line as he doesnt have a connetion at his place yet. 

We left Saturday and made it to Atlanta.  Sunday morning with GareyD.  Spanky got to cut a few boards on the Mighty Might.  (Pics Buzz) Garey has quite the place with an interesting neighbor. (Pics Buzz).   Met his wife GG and after morning coffee and a breif visit we hit the road. 

Left his place and made it to Orlando in about 6 hrs.  Monday was business stuff and then we drove to Sebastian, FL and had dinner with Swampy and his family.  Great visit.  Tuesday we met Ed (Swampy) at his shop and had to change my front breaks.  Something about high speed stops that eat them up.  ;D  Breaks replaced and off to cut wood in the middle of some FL swamp.  Got to tail boards for Ed while he cut a bunch of 2x material on Homie.  Knocked out about 6-800 bf then had dinner with his family again.  (Pics Buzz)

Drove to Jacksonville that night and met with Tom and Getoverit in the morning for a great day of sawing SYP.  Had a blast.................other than Buzz came home with all the neet toys. 

Boogied out of Toms place and made it DanGs in 2 1/2 hrs.  Turned out DanG needed an octopus to put some belts back on.  Many hands and in short order had all the belts in place and DanG was on his way to getting the mill back on line. 
Had a great visit, campfire and again.......................Buzz came home with all the neet toys (wood).

From Dangs we drove to Montgomery, AL.  Spent the night and first thing in the mornign we got a call from Cedarman.  He said its 8 hours to his place.  Off we go.  6 1/2 hrs later we pull into Cedar Mans place. 

Richard (Dick) gave us the grand tour. Got to meet his wife, Jane. (Dick & Jane - Next he will be writing kids books :D) 
WOW 8)  What a neet operation!  Nothing goes to waste and his place and lets just say we think alike,...........even he sells sawdust ;D :D  Went to dinner with Richard and his boy, who by the way is a model high school kid with an unbelievable work ethic and attitude.  You dun good there Richard! 

Left his place and headed home, which turns out was only 2 1/2 hrs IN THE DARK. 

Had a great trip and a great visit with lots of folks.  Buzz will bring things up to speed with more pics, as he took almost 175 of them.   8)

getoverit

hummm lets see.... you drove from callahan to Tallahassee (a 4 hour trip) in 2 1/2 hours... then to montgomery Al (an 8 hour trip) in 6 1/2 hours, then home from Cedarman's place in 2 1/2 hours.....Did y'all remember to bring your wings in after each trip? :D :D

I'm ready for all the other pics Buzz smiley_bouncing_pinky

DanG

He didn't do too bad, did he GOI? :D :D  Really though, you must drive like me if it takes four hours to get to Tally.  It's only 162 miles from Jax. on I-10.  I'm 35 miles beyond Tallahassee, though, so it's about 200.  2 and a half hours would have only been 80mph, so he probably had folks passing him.

Kirk and Buzz, I really enjoyed your little visit and appreciate the help with those belts.  The factory guy said I'd never get them straightened out without taking off the main blade and dropping the shaft. ::)  I wouldn't, either, without some excellent help.  Would druther have been sawing that big pretty cedar log, though.

Got'er all back together and realigned this morning and finished sawing that peckerpole that was on there, just before the rain hit.  Should dry up shortly, so I might get to saw 2 or 3 more logs this evening.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kirk_Allen

I think while in FL our average speed was around 83-86 mph.  Must be the Grits ;D

DanG, it was a pleasure to lend a hand.  Guess we need to go to MD and teach them boys how to work on there mill.  Sure glad that main blade didnt have to come off. I know Buzz was bummin though since he didnt get to put them grubs on the controls. He was itchen for a 4 different mill operators merit badge ;D

Buzz-sawyer

We left Saturday and made it to Atlanta.  Sunday morning with GareyD.  Spanky got to cut a few boards on the Mighty Might.  (Pics Buzz) Garey has quite the place with an interesting neighbor

here is Gareys wonderful wife Miss   GG

Spankey the forestry monkey was so glad to see his pappy, he took a spin on the mighty might .....he was squeling like a pig with joy

Here Garey is lining up a good cut

This is the big fine lake at Gareys

We Left his place and made it to Orlando in about 6 hrs.

Monday was business stuff , here is Kirk demonstrating his excellent product.....the chief sure seemed to like it!

then we drove to Sebastian, FL and had dinner with Swampy and his family.  Great visit.
Here Ed is showing us were the chow is!

Tuesday we met Ed (Swampy) at his shop and had to change  front breaks.  Something about high speed stops that eat them up.    Breaks replaced and off to cut wood in the middle of some FL swamp. 

Got to tail boards for Ed while he cut a bunch of 2x material on Homie.  Knocked out about 6-800 bf

Drove to Jacksonville that night and met with Tom and Getoverit in the morning for a great day of sawing SYP. 

Rodney bucking it up...

NOW, the best part of it was this joint......they had sandwitches the size of your plate and FINE BBQ the company wasnt to bad either

This fine southern cutting impliment is now in my possesion.this is Mr Billy holding it, a fine fellow

Had a blast................. Buzz came home with all the neet toys.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Boogied out of Toms place and made it DanGs in 2 1/2 hrs.As it turned out some of the same clan over at Gareys place were residing just up the road from Dan

Turned out DanG needed an octopus to put some belts back on.  Many hands and in short order had all the belts in place and DanG was on his way to getting the mill back on line. 

working in the belly of the beast.........

Had a great visit, campfire

and again.......................Buzz came home with all the neet toys (wood 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Now danG grows some kinda wacky stuff collars or sum such thing.........the pick isnt blurry, that stuff made me dizzy from the fumes and Dang dressed me down for not knowing what this stuff is...:(

Now , to you devoted FF members this is a rare find.....what do ya think I saw with my own eyes right next to the tobacca patch......a portable solar /horse trailer kiln.....this is the rare proto type mentioned a few years back....and I caught it in r and d. 8) 8) 8)

Now this is also a rare pic......the only one of ol Buzz Sawyer...He was mostly behind the camera.......
now this IS DANG FUN driving the Hootie mobile like a fool in the sunshine..........

From Dangs we drove to Montgomery, AL.  Spent the night and first thing in the mornign we got a call from Cedarman.  He said its 8 hours to his place.  Off we go.  6 1/2 hrs later we pull into Cedar Mans place. 
Heres cedarman and Kirk

This is the initial cut

A small part of the log yard

Some of the results

This is  some sassafras wood

Check out Dicks idea of door molding...curly walnut!

we topped out the day with a FINE meal! this is Dick and his great son

Onr final question to all you out there has anyone seen this person...rumor had it while in Florida she may have abducted on of our members we were supposed to meet.... :o :o :o :o :o

Richard (Dick) gave us the grand tour. Got to meet his wife, Jane. (Dick & Jane - Next he will be writing kids books ) 
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

Oh, by the way Garey...any up date on the current k-9 poulation and the un explainable drop since the last bbq up the road?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

getoverit

Excellent picture album Buzz !!

I feel like I took a trip and never left the farm  :D

dail_h

Usta be a common sight,old pulpwood truck going down the road wif a Homelite bow saw hanging on a standard
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Cedarman

Kirk and Buzz, it was shear pleasure spending the evening with you guys. Thanks for the compliments. 

DanG, just what kind of juniper was that?  That was sure not ERC type juniper.

I've had road trips before and they are some fantastic times.

Jeff, have you ever thought of getting a bunch of forum members together for a long bus tour?(I know, it would be like herding cats)  Visit some mills, maybe some big sawmills, logging operations, I know I like showing off our little operation.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

swampy

Kirk and Buzz,  had a blast with you guys at the shop doing brakes, at the house for dinner and at the mill sawing SYP for about 5 hours. We will get back together when you guys come back down to go GATOR hunting!!! :o :o ;D ;D
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Kirk_Allen

You can bank on it Ed.  Dont let that guy forget to get them gator permits! 

Hey Teri, have you got a contract out on Buzz for posting the pic :D :D ;D

You should see all the other pics of pics he has yet to post ;D :D

Ed, your family pic table may be famous soon ;D :D 8)

Thank You Sponsors!