iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Indoor wood furnace versus Zero clearance fireplace

Started by Chevy, November 12, 2008, 09:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chevy

I was wondering does anybody have any ideas what would be better as I live facing the north and use propane and getting very tired of high costs. My 2 choices I have come up with is A newmac indoor wood furnace or a Napolean NZ26 that can be run into it's own duct line to feed the whole house. Home is 2400sqft per level.

Dan_Shade

I have an NZ26, in an 1800sqft. house.  I don't have it plumbed into the ducting.  it will barely keep the house comfortable, and it doesn't get below freezing to often here.  I'd call it sized about right for my house...

I don't see how an NZ26 could heat a 4800sqft house.

I do like the unit, though, it puts out a lot of heat, and seems very efficient, i wish the firebox were larger, though.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

arj

I have a newmac I would think it would distribute the heat much better.
The newmac furnace has been very good, heat a 3000 sq.ft house and
use about 200 gals. of oil a year, mostly for oil fired hot water heater.
                                arj

Chevy

I have read that the some people with newmacs were not getting the proper heat. Have yiou expereinced anything like this? And was it hard to install?

Chevy

Thanks for the feed back The salesman at the fireplace store swears that the Napolean NZ26 ducted into a duct system would heat this home. But I am guessing thats what he is.

arj

I get plenty of heat, you do have to change filters fairly often. not hard to install
if you have a hot air system, the plenums are much larger than most hot air
furnaces.     
                                       arj

Dan_Shade

napolean has a larger model than the NZ26, that's probably the one he's talking about.  it probably would heat your house.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chevy

the salesman says the nz26 is big enough and that the bigger ones are actually too much heat.

thecfarm

Watch out for some sales people.All they know is what's on paper.they don't know how the product will work in the real world.I bought a Laser heater for my Mother after my Father passed away.A kerosene heater.Gave the dimensions of her house to the salesman.He tells me the size.I kinda questioned him.I wanted to make sure.I did not want her to be cold.I put it in.When the temp gets to 10° I would have to go over and start the wood stove.House would not get above 70.  >:( Something else I was buying,can't remember what it was.I wanted to go bigger and the salesman kept telling me I did not need it that big.I asked him who was paying for it,him or me.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think that you'd have to burn the NZ26 harder than I'd be comfortable to get it to heat a 4800sqft house, even with it plumbed into the ducting (which would have to help).

The other "problem" with the nz26 is it's small firebox doesn't have an extended burn time.  It works for my house, but i'm only 1800 square feet.

Thank You Sponsors!