iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting inch and a half lumber

Started by muskoka guy, April 03, 2013, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muskoka guy

Just though I would ask a dumb question of all you mill owners.  A few years back I built my house and cleared my lot. I cut down about a hundred mixed pine, spruce and balsom trees in the process. Needing a few out buildings I thought I would hire a good miller we use in the area. He was in his sixties at the time. Being a carpenter and used to using inch and a half lumber at work, as well as using air nailers for the assembly, I asked him to cut all the lumber at one and a half inches instead of two inches. The two inch doesnt work very well with the nailers as the nails are only three and a quarter long.  When I asked him this question he just plainly stated no, it would screw up his scale and that was that. My theory was I was only using it for out buildings and wasnt going to plane it, as well as I would get more lumber. I just chalked it up to him being older and set in his ways. Maybe his math was bad. Anyway just thought I would ask if anyone cuts this size or why not if it is not being planed down to a finished size. Just a dumb question.  ;D

francismilker

I will cut it any dimension the customer wants.  It's not uncommon at all to cut 1-1/2" lumber. Must have not had a real defined ruler scale on his mill or was too set in his ways.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Bibbyman

I've seen old circle mills with a paw and ratchet system that would limit to maybe 1/8" increment but could saw close to any practical dimension.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thechknhwk

Tom the Sawyer

I bill by the quarter inch but clients can specify the thickness in increments as small as 1/16" on my mill.  First board off we'll check it with a caliper and adjust if they wish.  For 6/4 most want 1 1/2" but if they want 1 5/8" or 1 9/16" its no problem.  Love setworks.  smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

kelLOGg

Quote from: francismilker on April 03, 2013, 10:28:26 PM
Must have not had a real defined ruler scale on his mill or was too set in his ways.

I think Francis got it right.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I've sawn quite a bit of lumber using the 6/4 scale.

It's quite possible your sawyer didn't know how to use the "quarters scale", it does take a little thought when you first try to use it!

When I get done, I bill it as: 1.5 x width x length = board footage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Special orders don't upset us,with the scale and pointer on my bandmill I can cut whatever the bloak wants.1 1/2" oak is very handy for trailer decks it fits under lips and gives more stregnth than 1" without 2" weight.I'd change sawyers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

If you saw it proud by 1/8" thick and wide, and the air dry it, it will shrink pretty close to the same dimension as store bought lumber except that it won't have been planed smooth.  The big pine sawmills in the South saw green at about 1.75" maybe just a shade less, kiln dry it to 19% in one day, and plane it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

You never said what type of mill this guy used, circular or portable band mill.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sealark37

When I was helping a real sawyer some years ago, a customer dropped some large SYP logs for sawing.  He presented a cut list that included 10 pieces 2"x14"x16'.  My sawyer flatly refused to saw the 14" boards, stating that "Nobody needs a 2x14".  We cut them to 2x12.  Later, the customer came back and thanked us for not sawing the 14" stuff. He said the 12" stuff was almost too heavy to use, and the 14" boards would have been impossible.  The old boys knew their business.     Regards, Clark

hackberry jake

I refused to saw 1.5" 10' long once, but only because the logs were 8'6"   ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

muskoka guy

He had a woodmiser bandmill, probably about a mid 90s model. It was fully hydraulic. He wasnt the best around, but he was the cheapest and cut a lot of lumber in a day. As the lumber was just for outbuildings, I wasnt too concerned if the wood was off a bit. Unfortunately, he past away recently. I guess there might be a little extra work around as he cut full time.

Okrafarmer

With a Woodmizer I would think there should be no excuse. Mine is a 1990 model and it has a 6/4 scale on it, along with 4/4, 5/4, and 8/4. Besides all this, it is easy to make 3/4 by following the 1 inch marks on down (making 7/8 inch lumber). A customer asked me this week for some 1 3/4" lumber, so that's what I made, even though I didn't have a scale for it. I figured up what the inch marks were I would need and wrote them on the goal post of the headrig with permanent marker, and also marked beside the ruler with the marker. If anybody cares to know, it goes like:

1 ¾
3 5/8
5 ½
7 3/8
9 ¼
11 1/8
14 7/8
16 ¾
18 5/8
20 ½
22 3/8
24 ¼

OR, to make them an 1/8 thicker than that, simply go every 2 inches down the ruler.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

muskoka guy

Makes sense to me. The only reason I let it go was he was a nice guy and he worked hard. He was in his late sixties and he could really pour the coals to a couple young fellows helping him.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Okra, did you figure in for blade thickness?

On my WM 1 inch scale, I start at 8 1/2 inches. when I get to my very last board it will be 1 inch along with the other 7 boards.

Looking at your chart again, it looks like you've figured 1/8" for the blade.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

With help from reading this Forum, I made this chart for my LT10, which is based on a 1/8" kerth.  I have to set the head height manually and if I read the ruler correctly, then the thickness of the board is correct (or close enough to suit me).  I can mill any thickness.  I recently cut a cherry log for a guy who wanted 7/8" thick, which was not problem.  The only problem was I wanted $25 and all the guy had was twenties, so all i got was $20.  Somebody already posted on the Forum to keep plenty of change for the guys who pack big bills. LOL

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mills are different and so are blades. I add 1/16" for my blade thickness. It works every time on my mill.

WDH

Seems like my actual kerf is between 1/16th and 1/8th at 3/32nds.  I just figure 1/8. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 04, 2013, 09:52:10 PM
Seems like my actual kerf is between 1/16th and 1/8th at 3/32nds.  I just figure 1/8.
That's in Georgia though. You're closer to the Equator.

WDH

5quarter

WDH...I concur. If your using .042" blades, and its not fluttering like a banjo string, it is almost exactly 3/32". ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 5quarter on April 04, 2013, 10:20:13 PM
WDH...I concur. If your using .042" blades, and its not fluttering like a banjo string, it is almost exactly 3/32". ;)

Your right 5quarter.....there are and will be the vibration effect. That's just part of life.  ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on April 04, 2013, 09:52:10 PM

I figure 1/8 for the kerf. So far none of my customers have complained about an extra 1/32 of wood. It also makes up for the crummy operator not always managing to stop the headrig exactly on the mark. Not only that, but I think my blade tends to cut closer to 1/8 than 1/16 anyway, possibly from it being an old mill, and not always entirely ship-shape. And the operator/maintenance man being both too cheap and too broke to fix something that functions. . . .  :-\

I can't complain, I've had a good week and I haven't even started on Friday yet.  8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!