iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Lumber And Ticks

Started by Tree Feller, April 04, 2013, 02:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

A couple of years ago, I had some Walnut logs sawn into lumber which I air dried for a month or so until I removed the charge that was in my solar kiln. I then filled the kiln with 300 bf of the Walnut lumber.

That evening while showering, I found two ticks on me around the waistline and another the next morning that was stuck on my neck. I hadn't had a tick on me in years prior to those.

This past Saturday, I stickered a load of Walnut lumber and also some Oak that had been on my trailer for three days. I had covered it with a tarp waiting for a clear day to unload and sticker it.

This evening, my back started itching right along the spine about the middle of my torso. I had my wife pull my shirt up to check and guess what...yep, another tick. I've not been anywhere likely to contact a tick since unloading the lumber. In fact, I've hardly been outside the house due to a medical condition except for two trips to see a doctor.

This may sound a bit wacky but has anyone else noticed a correlation between Walnut lumber and ticks? The Walnut is the only common thread and like I  said, those are the only ticks I've had on me in years.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mesquite buckeye

Come to my place in Missouri. I can get you all the ticks you want. You'll be tickled pink.  ;D

We can usually count on finding poison ivy growing on our walnuts.  :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Seaman

Nope, but I'll pay attention this summer, hope to saw a lot of walnut.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Never heard of nothing like that Cody.....but a Tick will travel on anything.

(ok, here's mine)....but I had a pocket watch full of them once.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rambo

I can't say that I have run into that on walnut. The only time I pick up ticks is when I walk thru brush in fields.

francismilker

I've been around a lot of walnuts growing in my lifetime and have never put that corrolation together with ticks and walnuts.  There's so many around my neck of the woods it's just a given that if you go to the woods from early spring until late fall you need to strip down and check yourself real good when you get back home.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Ron Wenrich

Any pets?  Cats and dogs are tick magnets.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!