iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting rid of Moles

Started by Chuck White, July 15, 2012, 03:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Has anyone here got any idea of just how to get rid of the field moles the infest peoples yards?

We have really been over-run with them this year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rockman

Chuck, Are you talking about the ones that get under the sod and make soft spots in your lawn? I had that happen one year, I was told to get some grub-X and spread on the lawn to get rid of the Grubs the moles feed on, I did that and lo and behold problem solved.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Chuck White

Yah, that's the ones Kevin!

Makes one feel like they're walking on water baloons!

I'll try to find some Grub-X, that's one thing we haven't tried!

Thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sparky1

Yeah i used the grub killer too. It seems to work pretty good.. You may have to apply it a few times in the course of the year I found. Between putting that down and my dog taking care of a few here and there I dont have any in my lawn this year.. Not that it matters with the drought we got going on.. Its some pretty brown lawns in this area :)
Shaun J

sandhills

Buy a badger  :D.  Just kidding Chuck, we used to have a collie that would dig straight down the path, she actually caught a lot and helped quite a bit, got electricity to a grain bin following her line  ;D.  Sorry I can't help much beyond that, they don't bother me much and I don't fool with them, but I've never been known to have a nice lawn either, right now I'd call it dead.

beenthere

The grub treatment is what I've found that works the best for me.
Now, am thinking that no rain to speak of in the last two months is also favorable to keeping them away as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cypressstump

I had them in my deer food plot I built for my 84 year old,,, I posted this little blurb on a hunting site when trying to find some help on controling the moles. Never did any good, the river came up, flooded the area my food plot is in, moles left, drowned,floated,swam off,,, no more moles.

My little plot is surrounded by swamp, and a slough runs through the middle of it. On one side it looks almost like miniture hogs have taken up residence. Only to discover it's moles or the like, borrowing all around eating up my tender roots to all the forage I worked so hard for.

I spent half the day, missing the LSU Tigers continuance of their lucky streak,,, on my hands and knees with a stethoscope and a sharp knife in the mole infested area, attempting to locate and stab one or more of the culprits. It was a learning experience to say the least. I would pick up a noise indication, then immediately stab the spot with my sharp knife. I found that they don't give off much indication via stethoscope. I inadvertently discovered that one should not stab exactly where a sound indication is detected without some additional forethought, as I now have three nasty self inflicted stab wounds to my left quad muscle. Apparently I have quicker inherent reflexes than the common 'this iz gonna hurt' thought processes.While crawling around the plot, the stethoscope bumped my leg a few times. I gotta work on that process more I reckon....after I heal up. Dang Moles....(jus' pickin')

Need some info on mole deterents!

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Riggs

Chuck, some folks around here swear by windmills. Depending on your soil the vibration transmitted through the ground scares them off. I've never tried it but I know several people that say it works.

Might be worth a try.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Weekend_Sawyer

Dad used to kick open a hole in the trail and stick the garden hose in another area and flood the hole, when the mole stuck it's nose out he would stomp it. He got quite a few moles that way and probably drowned quite a few too. Dad was a little rough around the edges.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Autocar

Let me tell you my mole story. I was looking at timber, I pulled up at the woods [ road side ] and dropped off the road into the creek bottom. Yellow morale mushrooms every where so I picked a five gallion buckey full. Couldn't find the second woods and a couple was in there front yard with a rubber hose running the truck engine trying to gas these ground moles. I asked them if they liked mushrooms and the old guy says yes but you just can't find them anymore. I told them it was there lucky day and gave them the five gallion bucket. They told me where the other woods was and I walk back to it and again morale mushrooms were everywhere. I picked till I was running out of time and walked back to my truck. Not sure how the moles came out but thats my mole story !  :D
Bill

Woodwalker

I spent half the day, missing the LSU Tigers continuance of their lucky streak,,, on my hands and knees with a stethoscope and a sharp knife in the mole infested area, attempting to locate and stab one or more of the culprits. It was a learning experience to say the least. I would pick up a noise indication, then immediately stab the spot with my sharp knife. I found that they don't give off much indication via stethoscope. I inadvertently discovered that one should not stab exactly where a sound indication is detected without some additional forethought, as I now have three nasty self inflicted stab wounds to my left quad muscle. Apparently I have quicker inherent reflexes than the common 'this iz gonna hurt' thought processes.While crawling around the plot, the stethoscope bumped my leg a few times. I gotta work on that process more I reckon....after I heal up. Dang Moles....(jus' pickin')
[/quote)

The authors reference to the LSU Tigers explains the reasoning of said person in the somewhat questionable pursuit of moles with a knife in a deer food plot.
In this area in reference to LSU fans, you often hear the phase "he ain't right" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

This is what I use with pretty good luck.  This guy has good instructional videos also so the learning curve is not too steep.

www.traplineproducts.com
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!