iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jack Pine Price

Started by larry12, April 07, 2019, 10:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry12

Hi guys , my brother has approx 300 jack pine  14 - 16 ''  -- 30 - 40 ft  hand panted. We are in Ont at the Mich border . Is there a market for this as poles  / log homes, or lumber and what kind of money would it bring ? --thanks in advance .

barbender

In MN, the only thing jack pine goes for is stud bolts and pulp. I've seen owner built log homes made from it, but I'm not aware of any commercial builders using it. It makes a nice looking log structure, the logs have much more character than the red pine buildings that are the norm up here. I don't think it accepts treatment very well, we only ship red pine for power poles. In the end, the markets in your specefic area will determine the value. Btw, on the stump, I think around $25/cord is the going rate in my area.
Too many irons in the fire

Tarm

Something doesn't add up here. 14" to 16" jack pine trees should be much tailer than 30-40 feet unless they are growing in the open. Also 300 trees are not that many. A 15" tree with four sticks has a volume of about 1/4 cord so 300 trees would yield 75 cords if clearcut.  Most commercial loggers will not move their equipment to a job that has less than 100-150 cords. See if you could find a small part time logger who would be willing to take the job. I agree with Barbender that the market would be stud bolts and pulp.

OntarioAl

Tarm
I believe the OP means poles not trees I think he said they were painted.
for whatever reason.
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

barbender

Hand planted, misspelled was my assumption, Al😊

barbender

But Tarm is right- if they are 14-16" and only 30-40', they're gonna be bushy!

Tarm

Quote from: OntarioAl on April 08, 2019, 08:32:41 PM
Tarm
I believe the OP means poles not trees I think he said they were painted.
for whatever reason.
Cheers
Al
Okay, so "hand panted" means "hand painted" as in selected for harvest with the selected trees marked with paint. If also "30-40 ft" means trees that will yield 30-40 foot poles then these trees would have 8 sticks and yield about 1/2 cords per tree or 150 cords total. So yes the OP has enough volume for a commercial harvest but the market would still be for stud bolts and pulp.

Ron Scott

Yes, stud bolts and pulpwood are the primary market.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!