iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant Hooks

Started by Robert Long, January 07, 2007, 10:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Don't worry, they are more then worth the wait.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

Robert, that's a premium tool.  They are powdercoated  :)

Captain

Robert Long

To All My Cant Hook Friends ;) ;) ;)

They have arrived and boy are they nice to hold and look at....It's just too cold to try them out, I can hardly wait!

Thanks to all who encouraged me to order themhttp://www.forestryforum.com/board/Themes/default/images/post/thumbup.gif

Robert

metalspinner

QuoteIf you get yourself a peavey instead of a cant hook, you can stab the end in the ground and the handle will stick out above the snow

Put a sticky tape measure on it and you have a real nice snow gauge....or saw dust gauge. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LT40HDD51

I should get you guys a pic of my ash/purpleheart laminated peavey handle  ;D. Traded some weird lookin stained maple to a woodworker friend for it and a couple more to come. I like the esthetics of it (gets lots of looks and comments wherever I go), and the straight-grain ash laminate will hold all 250 lbs of me  :) Even though I'm a young feller I have a zippo in my pocket, a 74 Dodge Challenger in the barn, and wooden peavey handles  :D

LogRite tools are great, though. No doubt  ;)
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

beenthere

I suspect after luggin around the ol purpleheart/ash handle, you'll be thinkin of puttin some wheels under it soon.  Logrite's are lighter and as tough or tougher.  But sounds like it is a good looker.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

333_okh

Quote from: 333_okh on January 20, 2007, 02:26:40 AM
I just ordered the LogRite 48 inch Peavey

I saved the $100 dollars for the peavey in the first weekend just by avoiding the doctor.  The LogRite works excellent.  I really do not know how I could break it????

Robert Long

metalspinner :)

Thanks for the tip on the tape measure, it will be a great way to measure those odd log lenghts also

Robert :D

LT40HDD51

We got some new Logrites in on our last truckload from WM. Very nice working cant hooks (we wanted peaveys  ::)), but, well, the ol ash laminate never did this:

My bro bent er rolling a large pine log out of the pile to the mill the other day. He wasnt abusing it, I was watching when it happened. Were both about 6'6" and around 250 lbs so were no little fellers. He just hooked the log and yanked on it and...

Quote from: 333_okh on February 06, 2007, 12:24:34 AM
... I really do not know how I could break it????

Im not sure either. Seems they bend long before they break, and breakage is what is covered under their warranty. I sent these pics to logrite today too, and am interested in what they say about it. Time to get ol faithful back out of the corner... ;D

(By the way, I finally figgered out how to upload photos  8) )
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Bibbyman

Don't look like you broke it.  Looks more like you made an improvement.  Now you don't have to bend over so far to get a good hook on a log.   :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LT40HDD51

;D

Im just wondering how far it will bend...

Dan_Shade

I'd really like to see a kevlar/carbon-fiber composite handle on a logrite, but i'm not so sure that I want to pay for it!

was that the 78" hook that you bent?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

I'd like for you to meet two of our esteemed members, Tamiam and Neslrite, owners of Logrite and designers and builders of the logrite canthook, peavey and other fine tools.  To my knowledge, they have not yet left their customers unhappy. 

A Treasured Part of the Forestry Forum Family

oldsaw

Holy crap!!!  I've done very nasty things with mine with 36" oak and walnuts.  Things I won't admit to, but never done that.
Actually can't figure out how you could do that.  I've hung on my 60", put it on my shoulder and given it my all, and the thing hardly flexes.

Something isn't right.

Mark

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

LT40HDD51

That was the 48" cant hook.

Ive sent pics to Logrite and described what happened, Ill probably get a reply on Monday Im guessing. First thing I did was click on their link at the left and get ahold of them  ;). Im not complaining yet, just showin ya what we gone and dun. I love using them, they do work better than any other hook Ive ever used or seen, lightweight, etc. etc. For sure I cant complain about anything until the company has a chance to go good for it, I know this as well as anyone, being in this business  ::) :D. Were also quite used to wrecking stuff  ;D, not because we abuse things, but we use em good and hard.

We cant really figger it out either, but heres the story as he tells it and like I saw it. Like i said, my brother Jay was rolling about a 20" white pine log, 18' long out of the pile (a bit bigger than the one in the photo). It was one of those cases where in the pile there were a couple of other bigguns laying half on top of it, causing quite a bit of friction bark-to-bark 'tween the logs. He hooked the log with the handle up quite high (about vertical), grabbed the top end any yanked (like I said, were big dudes). The log did roll out, but it caused the damage in the photos. He looked at me and held er up with a weird look on his face  :-\, and the new cant hook is now all crooked.

(To tell you the truth, I kind of like causing some damage every once in a while that makes people go  :o)  :D :D

beenthere

Quoteand the new cant hook is now all crooked

The cant hook doesn't look "new" to me.

Don't know what else 'really' happened.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LT40HDD51

Actually its not a month old yet, thats pine pitch and dirt...

thecfarm

Probaly the "yank"is what did it.I've been around the wood handled ones for 40 years.I can still hear my Father say,yoller,at me,don't give that a quick jerk or you'll snap that handle right off.It can take a steady strain,but that quickness will snap it right off.I wanted a Logrite,but not at this time.A few things cost may than what it should off.Maybe for Christmas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LT40HDD51

**Correction** It was a 60" cant hook, not a 48"...

Got an email from Tammy this morning, she said its all covered under warranty. Gave her my address and a new handle is on its way  8).

Thats all good, but I wonder if the next one is gonna do the same...

BigTrev

Best to give it a chance and let us know how it goes.

It can be pretty tough to be a manufacturer, folks have a habit of remembering the one failure instead of the multitude of successes.

It sounds to me they did right by honouring their warranty, I'd say its only fair to return the favor  ;)

Hope it all works out for ya
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

LT40HDD51

Yeah, I know that all too well... ;)

Dont worry, the new one will get a thorough testing  ;D.

Chris Burchfield

I picked up my first during the WM Mt. Vernon party. It is the 60" canthook. Last weekend I was enjoying the first use of it on some 20" X 18 - 20' logs of different species. I'm right at 6' and 265 lbs. A bit of a bow in the log made it heavy to roll onto the loading arms. Instead of a yank or jerk I rocked it till I overcame center and she rolled. I was concerned about the distance between the end of the poll and the hook itself on the larger logs. It put a bite on em that any loggerhead snapping turtle would be proud of.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Dan_Shade

my opinion is that if you mess up 2 of them, then logrite has a lot of bad handles (which they'll know through other failures) or you're abusing the thing to attempt to break it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Part_Timer

WOW I ain't never seen that before.

We were rolling a a white oak last year for the demo day and couldn't get it to move.  It was 36"x 14' so I put the 78" hook on it with a strap and hooked it to the ball of the truck and rolled it.  it flexed but never bent.  Maybe I need a bigger truck  ;D ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tam-i-am

I'm beginning to get a little worried here - we never said they were indestructable!  We claim they are lighter, more durable and won't break catastrophically like a wood handled tool.

This thread reminds me of our first show.  We decided to show how strong our tool really was, so we set up a meter to the force that you could put on the tool.  Basically there was a log bolted to the meter and then anyone could come and hook the cant hook onto the log and try to roll it.  Needless to say everyone turned it into a strong man contest rather than paying attention to the strength of the tool.  We ended up taking it down when a teenage kid wanted to prove that he could out do some of the bigger guys and hurt himself.

Any tool has limitations and should be used in the manner that they were designed. 

I can't claim that our tools can be hooked to hydraulics, trucks, mules, etc  even though I know my customers do and the tools survive.

As for LT40HDD51, I don't think you abused the tool.  Obviously, this doesn't happen very often or we couldn't stay in business but occasionally one will come back.  I hope you feel as though we did the right thing.

Tammy

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Thank You Sponsors!