iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info wanted on Kerr Jetstream or Tempest Woodboiler

Started by slowzuki, January 11, 2007, 11:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

I'm trying as the cold sets in to find info on the Kerr Jetstream or Tempest woodboilers.  They were built from 1979 to 1997 or so.  The manufacturer no longer makes them and has very little info to share on them.

I want to buy one even if it is broken, they are similar to a Tarm type boiler except they top load and can burn wetter wood than the Tarm.  They use a storage tank too.

Anyone with any info?  I can send out a picture of one and even have a 1982 Harrowsmith article on them.  The wood is top loaded into a water cooled chamber and settles into a refractory chamber where combustion takes place as it is blown thorugh a ceramic tube into the ash box then up through the heat exchanger tubes when pass through the water jacket.

Let me know!  If someone has info leading to me locating one to buy (trying to stay under 500$ shipping so really eastern half of US, all on Canada is accessible at that) I would offer a finders fee and a forestry forum tip!

This may belong in the wanted section but this boiler is really interesting and is based on University of Orono Maine Proffessor Richard Hill's work there in the late 1970's.  He built several test models with funding from the US government during the energy crisis.

I have the pdf's of his research papers too if anyone is interested.  His first models used masonry storage like the euro masonry heaters.

slowzuki

Just to add to this, I found out they were actually made in Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) in a place called Hampton by Hampton Industries.  Kerr bought out everything when the business tanked.  Kerr is working on getting me a manual and are calling their PEI office to see if anyone has tried to sell one back recently.

Ken

slowzuki

Started a wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetstream_furnace

They were built in three different stove making plant in the area.  Have met an owner now and hope to see a demonstration of the stove.

srjones

Nice wiki  :)  I'm glad you're highlighting attention to this design.  I had only been considering the ordinary OWB currently available, but I started getting spooked reading some of the horror stories from owners.  I plan to use 'thermal balast' which would clean things up some but the 'Jetstream' design would seem to be a better fit.

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

slowzuki

Just bumping this incase is should be moved to the alternative methods and solutions forum.  Found a Jetstream that may be for sale, still dealing with the owner to see if a sale will happen.

Thank You Sponsors!