iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Start

Started by Bosco, December 22, 2017, 05:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

Well I got my first mill! had to drive across the state of Montana in a snow storm to get it. I pulled the trigger on that Black Friday deal, the package didnt have the free cant hook and blades but the dealer "Sean" made it right, I got it home and off the truck but the owners manual and dvd were not with it, again my dealer is on it! Its hovering in the single digits right now so no big rush but I'm anxious to mill my first boards..I also bought a box of blades on Black Friday , havent seen them , called woodmizer and they are supposed to be on the way. I guess they are VERY busy! I went from thinking about a mill to owning one FAST! I'm reading posts and interested on "mistakes to avoid" I'll only be cutting Ponderosa Pine to start sooo..... any advice greatly appreciated!

brianb88

Congrats on the new mill! We like pics.

I cant offer any advice as I am still looking to buy my first mill. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the mill as the LT15 is one of the mills I am considering.
Measure twice, cut once

starmac

Well, Bosco, welcome to the forum if no one already has.
Also welcome to the slippery slope that has no end to it. I have no doubt you will like and enjoy your mill, also no doubt it will work well for you, now you will discover all sorts of things to spend money on you just have to have.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Resonator

Congrats on your new mill! Couple basics: Plan your sawmill work area so you have room to stage logs, pile slabs, and stack lumber, (as well as shovel sawdust). Make sure to set your track up straight and level on beams, or on a flat surface if possible. You need straight track to make straight lumber. When you load logs do so GENTLY, as to not knock the track out of alignment. Buy some ATF (tranny fluid) to brush on the mill head upright supports, and some windshield washer fluid for lube for cutting below freezing. I use -25 fluid and take the plastic tank inside overnight. Welcome to the forum!
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Farm29

Congrats on the new mill I've had my used mill for 3 months and love it can't drive down the road without eyeballing trees be patient it's amazing the things you learn and get better at in the first 10-15 hrs most important have fun with it
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Slingshot

Hey Bosco, another congrats on the new mill. Noticed you said that
the manual is missing.......have you opened up the wheel cover doors?
The manual is usually packed inside the idle side cover.

Southside

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.  Only advice I can give is to take things slowly and keep at it.  You will make mistakes, you will saw logs wrong, you will try to saw through your log stops and clamps (so far I have not heard of anyone who actually succeed withe the last point, but we have all attempted it, most on multiple occasions).  Most of all you will have fun running your mill.  Ask plenty of questions, the resources on this forum are endless and the participants are all amazing and willing to help.  The best part is you will learn and be able to help others as you go, every time a band hits the wood a new lesson is learned. 

Take photos, don't be bashful about asking questions and enjoy the club. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

You will like it.
You have trees to cut? How will you get the trees out? Whatcha building?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bosco

I've got alot of Ponderosa Pine! I plan on cutting some board and bat siding for the inside of my shop, I would like to build a sauna, I'm trying to learn Timber Framing and would like to build a small barn. I'm not very good with computer but will try and get somebody to help with picture posting. The owners manual and dvd were not with the mill, there is a bright green tag on it that says " clamp is at the shipping location" called my dealer ' he's on it ! He will also adjust my warrantys as I cant saw yet. I'm searching for some equipment for log handling , maybe a mini excavator? and a log arch ? but dont want to put the cart before the horse! I got a Ford tractor and a Polaris 800 ATV so I can start when its assembled. I have a few logs cut and Have 60 acres that need thinning bad.

Magicman

Wow, Congrats on your new sawmill.  We will look forward to seeing you sawing.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Congratulations on the new mill, you will love it. When I read your location,  the lyrics to Big City by Merle Haggard start echoing in my mind.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

YellowHammer

Congrats.  The LT 15 is a workhorse mill.  Very easy to cut straight lumber. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lawg Dawg

Way to go!  I started my business almost 7years ago with an LT15, I've sawn probably 1/2 a million board feet on one of those...great mill! Good luck!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Darrel

Welcome aboard Bosco!  You still have a chance to be the only sawyer on the forestry forum that hasn't tried to use his sawmill to cut parts off his mill. Good luck with that endeavor,  ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!