iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just bought an LT40 . . .

Started by tritanic55, March 06, 2006, 01:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tritanic55

Hello again -
      Well, I just spent a few hours sniffing around the LT40 I posted on a couple of days ago - with a handshake I'm the new owner  of a '94 model LT40HDG24 now. Yahoo!! It comes with the whole WM sharpening setup and the siding/shake attachment, a number of blades that may or may not be servicable (some surface rust,etc.), some spare bits & pieces, and I will be able to leave it where it is (mill shed & all) for a year or so until I come up with something else. I'de tell ya what I'm payin for it, but I want to get the man his money first . . .:-))  - it's a pretty good deal.
      After all the conversations with the Woodmizer folks and all the posts on my first post on the slightly bowed rail, I'm pretty dang convinced that this machine is not tweaked, but that it's gonna be just fine. Thanks again for all of your input.
      The 24hp Onan fired right up and sounds good, the up/down motor works, the roller guide mechanism works, the fwd/rev works, but is a little sticky in the fwd direction - I'm guessing the chain has a few stiff links in it. We managed to work some of the hydraulics, but the loader is semi-buried in a frozen bed of sawdust, and (thanks to this site) we decided not to risk breaking anything by forcing it up off the ground. The guy I'm buying it from says the hydraulic toe boards come up but no longer release down freely, so we left them out of the equation for now. They are a flat metal plate style - I'm planning on cutting timbers for timber framing, and thinking that roller toeboards might be pretty sweet - just roll that heavy timber right off the end of the mill onto a trailer. I could probably fab up something that will work, but I'm getting a pretty good deal on the package, and would consider a WM upgrade if it is not prohibitively complicated or expensive.  ???
       Anyway - thanks to all who wrote back on the first post, and I'm looking forward to my new addiction with all the rest of you wood junkies out there.  :-))       Jeff

TinMan

Congrats!! 8) 8)

Sounds like loads of fun.

Welcome.....

Tracy

TN_man

Congrats from here as well! 8)
I hope everything works out for you and keep us posted with your progress.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Bibbyman

Congraulations!

Sound like a little oil here and there and some "lumbering up" and you'll have a fine mill!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Well that is a fine deal!   When I was up that way a feller could get 10,000 bdft of timber from the state free each year.  Is that deal still going?
  Where about's are you up there?   We might need to have a Way Up North Salmon Bake!
ARKANSAWYER

Kirk_Allen

Im with you on the Salmon bake Arky 8)   

Tritanic55, where in AK are you located?  My wife and I are going up in May to buy our land on the Kenai Peninsula.  Wanted to stick to Haines area but land options were limited.  Spent 12 years in Anchorage in the AF.

Last time I checked on the 10k bf for personal use it was limited to the Southeast area, which is why I realy wanted to buy in the Haines area.

Alaska Boo Roast here we come 8) 8)

tritanic55

Good Morning,
         I'm in Cordova, about 175 miles SE of Anchorage. There's no road into here, although it's been talked about for many years. My opinion - we dont need a road, we need a moat (with alligators)  ;). If they build a road, anyone could drive here from LA  -  Yikes!!!
         The 10,000 BF free from the state - I think that's available here, but I'll have to check to be sure. We are pretty far north here - just over 60 degrees latitude, but being right on the ocean keeps the temperatures fairly mild. The dampness, however, is another issue entirely. Cold bites hard at 95% humidity. I'm originally from SC Wisconsin - came up to make a little college money - went fishing - never looked back - no regrets - best thing I ever did!!
      Kirk, I spent some time in Haines here a couple of years back getting a taste of timber framing - if I'de have landed in Haines before Cordova, I might well be there now. Very nice friendly town. Have you visited Cordova? It's worth a trip if your in the state. Land options are limited here as well, but Cordova is situated right between the Copper river delta and Prince Wm. sound,  surrounded by the Chugach Nat'l forest - one of the most beautiful and dynamic places I've ever been in my life. Salmon bake? you betcha, along with crab, halibut, rockfish, oysters, moose, Sitka blacktail deer (5 tags/person/year with a 5 month season), ducks, geese, cranes, rabbits - well, I'll stop now. Long story short, good eatin' here!!
      OK gotta run - I'm gonna go play around and come up with a parts list for the new toy . . . .

Tom

Yep, I agree with Bibby, a little TLC and you will be fine.  The forward back could be a stiff chain or slipping belts, nothing serious.   The toe boards are nothing serious either. The only thing they have are springs that help them to return downward, but the weigh of a log does a pretty good job too.  You will probablly find that new springs will make them work like new.

While Woodmizer went to a lot of trouble designing jigs to make a square mill and coming up with ways of making everything adjustable, it's not rocket science.  They did most of the heavy thinking so that the mill would work when you thought you had messed it up.  It's a good design and with some new parts like motor brushes and switches will cut more wood than you will care to handle in a day.  Congratulations!

Coon

Tom is right.  It won't take rocket science to get the mill up and running to par.  Just take your time and get everything all adjusted just right and you'll be ahead of the game.  I had quite a few questions just like the ones you had when I first bought my first mill.  I'm up to two now and would be lost without them.  Glad to have you here on the forum.  No question is too big or to small here, nor is it ever too stupid to be asked.  Just come on in and sit a while any time you want.  The people here will grow on you and in a little time they'll be just like family. ;D ;D
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Kirk_Allen

Tritanic55,
I was supposed to go on a dear hunt in your parts about 15 years ago but things fell through at the last minute.  We were going to drive to Valdez and then fly out of there for a 10 day hunt. 

I have never been there but have seen lots of pics and its beutiful.  Lots of cedar if I remember right or that may have been farther south. 

I think Cordova is inculed in the 10K bf for personal use per year. The AK Department of Forestry can tell you what areas qualify. 

If it wasnt landlocked Cordova would be on our wish list but I need to be able to drive places.  We still have a cabin we hunt from north of the Copper River Basin.  Its on the Chistachina River, which I belive drains into the Copper River. 

isawlogs

the hydraulic toe boards come up but no longer release down freely, so we left them out of the equation for now.

On this model they where brought back down with springs that are underneath ... Cant be to hard to fix that .  ;D :D :D :D

I think you found yourself a nice rigg to play with .  Put a pic of her up here when ever you get a chance .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Congrats on your mill purchase, Tritanic, and welcome to the Forum.  I'd probably be out there with a chisel or a hair dryer, trying to free up that loader right now. :D :D

There are lots and lots of good mills on the market, but you just can't go wrong buying a Woodmizer.  You know you are getting a good mill.  BTW, when you start to cut your first dog, try to pick a spot that ain't been cut before, so you'll know which one is your's. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sparks

Tritanic55, please make sure you call us and we'll get the mill out of the other guys name and into yours. That way you'll start getting your mailings and such.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!