iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowblower Recommendations

Started by lowpolyjoe, November 14, 2014, 08:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey Everybody,

I'm considering a snowblower purchase.  I've got an old one that is unreliable and dangerous (there is no safety engagement handle for the impeller - just a switch).

I didn't really have a budget in mind but I see decent looking models going for $700-$1000.   I was considering putting my absolute limit at $1000 and happen to find this Husky at that price with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-961930097-2-Stage-Electric-Thrower/dp/B00LHN4MX0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1415971571&sr=8-3&keywords=husqvarna+snow+blower

My driveway isn't too big - it fits maybe 10 cars if you packed them tight.  And I have a sidewalk to take care of, which is on a hill so decent self propulsion and power are important.   

I'm fairly certain that husky is overkill for me, but I'd rather get more than less if I'm only gonna save a couple of hundred dollars.  My neighbor and I help eachother out from time to time so I occasionally end up doing more than just my driveway

Anyone have experience with this (or Husky snowblowers in general) or any recommendations in the <$1000 range?

Thanks a lot,
Joe

millwright

I have had an Ariens for many years, it has been very good and I think you can get a 10 hp one for around 1,000 dollars.

North River Energy

Bought an older Honda last year for my parents.  Track drive, 5 or 6hp, 22" cut.  Paid maybe 200 or 250.  Works great, and despite the lack of electric start, got no complaints last winter as to reliability or utility.
22" seems narrow, but it's very maneuverable, and if you blow yourself into a corner, it takes nothing to horse it back around.  Would buy another if the opportunity presented itself.

pappy19

If you want the best, IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Honda track drive. All tire driven snow blowers will eventually have a flat tire. It has a variable speed tranny and not gears, 2-stage thrower and even with no electric start, mine has started every time with one pull. I've had mine for 14 years and it runs as good as the day I brought it home. I spray "Pam" cooking spray all over the 2-stage mechanics and the snow and ice does not stick. There are other manufacturers out there, but the Honda has been the best by far that I have seen in over 40 years of blowing snow.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

lowpolyjoe

I currently have an Ariens that the previous owner of my house was nice enough to leave for us.   I found the manual and it looks like it's a 22999.  I'm not sure how old it is, but a quick search online finds this post showing that it could be from as early as 1969, although mine looks a bit newer than this one:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179535

I've heard Ariens is one of the best brands but I'm not sure I want to try to rehab it.  It leaks oil and/or gas.  One tire looses air consistently (tho some tire slime helped a lot).

I found one new Ariens that is similarly priced to the Husky I found ....  although the Ariens ddoesn't offer free shipping, so that tags on extra cost.  And I'm not sure it has all the bells and whistles of the Husky (Heated hand holds :)  and headlights, etc.. )

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Ariens-28-In.-Deluxe-Dual-Stage-Snow-Thrower/0000000200404?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CLiml9Sr-8ECFRAQ7Aod5l0AxA#

Hard to go wrong with Honda's in most cases so I'm not surprised to see some recommendations for those... but they seem pretty costly.  Most Honda's I found were over $2000 and I'm not prepared to go that high.

The "Pam" cooking spray is a great tip!  Someone told my wife about that a couple years ago and I've been using that trick ever since.  It helps A LOT :)

sawguy21

Ariens have always had a good name in snow blowers. Rugged well designed units that last for years with proper care. The ones sold at Home Depot are rebadged Husqvarna/Craftsman/Poulan/whatever, nowhere near Ariens traditional quality. They are decent but don't expect a Cadillac for the price of a Chev. Look for a better quality used unit that has been well maintained rather than a light duty new one. Lots of folks downsizing to condos or warmer climates are looking to move them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

I had an older Ariens that was well built BUT it was a single stage that only blew the heavy snow about 8', ok for sidewalks but not my parking area so I gave it to a nephew and got a Snapper 2 stage that really throws it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

Snapper is also a premium brand. Glad to see you appreciate quality.

dgdrls

If New, you can't go wrong with Ariens,  get it from an Ariens dealer.
If used, go 70's 80's vintage JD.  The only part you can't get for them is the
drive pulley for the auger. The drive-line is all cast-iron
I am going on Season 3 since I re-powered and "rebuilt" it.
Mine is a 7/24 1970's vintage with replacement Harbor Freight 6.5 HP on it.
99% direct bolt on replacement, only change was to the chute crank handle
P.S. get a two stage

This vintage for the JD.
Not the TRS TRX series

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the continued advice everybody.

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 14, 2014, 11:18:25 PM
The ones sold at Home Depot are rebadged Husqvarna/Craftsman/Poulan/whatever, nowhere near Ariens traditional quality.

Would you put Husky on the same level as Craftsman?   My neighbor bought a Craftsman snowblower a few years back and I believe he's had to have it in for service/repair twice already :(.  I'm definitely looking to avoid that.

I've had both Husky and Craftsman stuff and the Husky stuff seems a pretty big step above the Craftsman in general, that's why I posted my original link.  I was a little sad to read a post on that amazon product page saying that Husky ships in "1 to 2 months"....  that might be a dealbreaker.    I might search online today and see if I can find a showroom locally that has some of the higher end brands.

As far as rehabbing my Ariens or finding a used one - I'm sure that would be the best value, but my mechanical skills aren't the best so that would be risky, especially considering we already got some flurries this morning here in northern NJ

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: dgdrls on November 15, 2014, 09:42:36 PM
P.S. get a two stage

This vintage for the JD.
Not the TRS TRX series

Does yours have a safety handle that keeps the augers spinning?  On my Ariens, you have to lean over and flip a toggle latch next to the chute to enable/disable the augers.  A couple of times I realized I walked away from the machine to clear something out of the way and left the augers spinning.   It's disturbing to look back and see those blades churning away  :o.

Woodhauler

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on November 14, 2014, 08:47:15 AM
Hey Everybody,

I'm considering a snowblower purchase.  I've got an old one that is unreliable and dangerous (there is no safety engagement handle for the impeller - just a switch).

I didn't really have a budget in mind but I see decent looking models going for $700-$1000.   I was considering putting my absolute limit at $1000 and happen to find this Husky at that price with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-961930097-2-Stage-Electric-Thrower/dp/B00LHN4MX0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1415971571&sr=8-3&keywords=husqvarna+snow+b

My driveway isn't too big - it fits maybe 10 cars if you packed them tight.  And I have a sidewalk to take care of, which is on a hill so decent self propulsion and power are important.   

I'm fairly certain that husky is overkill for me, but I'd rather get more than less if I'm only gonna save a couple of hundred dollars.  My neighbor and I help eachother out from time to time so I occasionally end up doing more than just my driveway

Anyone have experience with this (or Husky snowblowers in general) or any recommendations in the <$1000 range?

Thanks a lot,
Joe
Get one your wife can run!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Hilltop366

I got a used honda 6 22, ($600.00) it is not big but works well, no bells or whistles. The one thing I don't like is the short handle on the chute to adjust the direction and level, Its a stretch for me to reach it and I often lean on the kill switch and shut it off when adjusting the chute.

dgdrls

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on November 16, 2014, 08:29:57 AM
Quote from: dgdrls on November 15, 2014, 09:42:36 PM
P.S. get a two stage

This vintage for the JD.
Not the TRS TRX series

Does yours have a safety handle that keeps the augers spinning?  On my Ariens, you have to lean over and flip a toggle latch next to the chute to enable/disable the augers.  A couple of times I realized I walked away from the machine to clear something out of the way and left the augers spinning.   It's disturbing to look back and see those blades churning away  :o.

All the controls are at the operators handles.  There is not a squeeze handle for the auger, its a lever.
Red is throttle, Center is gears forward and rev. Right is the auger.  Drive squeeze handle on the left.

sawguy21

??? It should have a dead man or an interlock switch that kills the engine if the auger is engaged when the operator lets go of the handles. That is dangerous.

beenthere

QuoteIt should have a dead man or an interlock switch that kills the engine if the auger is engaged when the operator lets go of the handles

QuoteDrive squeeze handle on the left.

Let go of that handle and the drive stops, I believe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

lowpolyjoe

I pulled my old Ariens out of the shed last weekend and made sure it started and ran.  Took some pics

You can see the manual lever near the bottom that enables the auger.   I suppose maybe there was some sort of safety handle hooked up to it at one point, but I don't see any remnants of it.

Anyone in the Northeast was treated to some lovely weather yesterday.  I sprayed the Ariens liberally with Pam cooking spray but it immediately bogged in the 1-2 inches of slushy snow and I gave up.   

The snow was really heavy.  Would a new snowblower be able to handle that disgusting sludge?  I'm talking about the two-stage units around the ~254cc engine size. 

gspren

I got rid of my Ariens because it wouldn't handle wet snow, my 2 stage Snapper is much better.

beenthere

lowpolyjoe
Save your money. 2" of slush is either soon to melt, or easy to shovel off. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

Quote from: beenthere on November 27, 2014, 10:48:59 AM
lowpolyjoe
Save your money. 2" of slush is either soon to melt, or easy to shovel off. ;)

Sometimes 2" of slush is about to become 2" of ice and when your driveway is 1,000' long it's not so easy to shovel.

beenthere

:D :D :D

QuoteSometimes 2" of slush is about to become 2" of ice and when your driveway is 1,000' long it's not so easy to shovel.

I wholeheartedly agree,        but that little Ariens won't be much better. ;) ;)   ;D
south central Wisconsin

curdog

I either use my leaf blower or if I see snow, I turn around , go back inside and eat a bowl of Grits and usually by then it has melted. Sorry, no good advice but I wish we had a little more snow.  :D

den

Consumer Reports Jan. 2015
Large Two-Stage
#1  Cub Cadet 31AH57S  $1500
#2 Troy-Bilt Vortex 2890 31AH55SQ (best buy)  $1300
#3 Cub Cadet 930SWE 31AH95SU  $1600
#4 Ariens 921032  $1300
#5 Craftsman 88396  $1200
#6 Cub Cadet 31AH55T (best buy)  $1100
#7 Ariens AX254 921030 (best buy)  $1000
#8 Trot-Bilt Storm 3090XP 31AH55Q (best buy)  $1100
Compact Two-Stage
#1 Troy-Bilt Vortex 2490 31AH54Q (best buy)  $1100
#2 Craftsman 88173 (best buy) $680
#3 Toro Power Max 724 OE 37770  $800
#4 Ariens 920021  $800
I hope I got all the #'s right
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the rundown Den.

As it happens, I ordered a Husqvarna about a week and a half ago.  It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but it didn't make it.  After a few phone calls, it sounds like the distributor (Amazon) may have never sent it out at all.   I'll probably talk to someone tomorrow about it again

This is a bummer because I might have to wait another week or two for delivery if I need to put in another order and who knows when the next snow storm will be.  We got several inches of rain in the last few days and if it was a few degrees colder it would have been a few feet of snow.

I may make the rounds to all my local HD and Lowes locations and see if they have a Husky or Ariens in stock before putting in another online order... but carting home a monster 2stage snowblower on my own might be tough.

Whatever I get, I'll keep you guys posted.  Thanks for the help so far

Thank You Sponsors!