iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump grinding

Started by NWP, September 14, 2012, 11:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWP

I was wondering how feasible it would be to purchase a self propelled stump grinder and try to make some money with it.  I don't do tree service work, but thought maybe there would still be a demand.  I'm sure it varies by area, but what is the going rate for something like this.  I'm sure it's so much per inch plus a minimum charge maybe.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Okrafarmer

There is usually room for a stump-grinding guy, but check to make sure your area isn't saturated first.

Another thing to keep in mind is that stump grinders can be very troublesome animals. They seem to need a lot of maintenance.

If you go out on your own, you better hope you are a people-person, and enjoy interacting with folks. If you are on your own, you will need to do a lot of selling, advertising, marketing, and customer service.  :(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

In my area I don't think there are many JUST stump grinders businesses. Most also do tree removal and or land mowing work too. I do know of one guy that is grinding stumps. He put brand new teeth on and hit one of the many Maine rocks we have.  :( My FIL knows of a fellow with a big saw and long bar. He saws the stumps closer to the ground with a saw and than goes at it with the grinder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1woodguy

Considered doing the same afew years ago after seeing what the tree services charged 250 and up
But then after looking around found out that there were several others doing it and only charging 30/60 bucks
At the time was doing a bit of tree removal making fair money and decided to stick with that wasn't enough gold in stump removal
  But then again when the guys go broke not charging enough it may become worth it
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

s grinder

Been grinding stumps for two and a half years,you best be a mechanic,and be equipted to sharpened you own grinder teeth,there's more to it than just grinding.New England is tough,rocks everywhere,you have dig around the stump with a pick ax checking for rocks,then have a big crow bar ground to a point to dig enbeded rocks out of the stumps.Have two small local tree companies that give me work,wasn't worth it for them,took to long, and to high maintance,i also have a web site,and am on craigslist,and insurance.Have a MS660 with a 32" bar to cut stumps flush if needed,Carlton 2500-4 grinder and looking for a Carlton 7015.Get $4.00 per inch,$50.00 per hr. to grind exposed roots if they go out any distance,also get extra to dispose grindings.

Okrafarmer

Back when I was working on my own doing tree work, I had a fellow who ground stumps for me, and he was independent. At the time (7 years ago or so), he charged by the cubic inch for stumps. he had a formula for determining how much he would charge, based on the diameter, the amount of stump above ground, and what he estimated was below ground. I don't remember what his charge was per cubic inch, but he also had a minimum charge of $50. He would knock out several baby stumps within that minimum charge, seems like a stump that would use up all of the minimum charge was around 12-15 inches without "complications."

The guy who does it for us now, does it a little differently, he prices each one individually, but I don't know that he follows a strict formula.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

bill m

I bought my stump grinder in the early 90s and have been doing all of my stump grinding by the hour. I get $100 per hour with a 1 hour min. unless it is for a good friend or a neighbor next door. You should not do it by the inch ( although a lot of guys do ) because not all stumps of given diameter will take the same time. A 30 inch pine will grind a lot faster than a 30 inch sugar maple. Some times you will have to move two or three times to grind all of a 36 inch stump and the next one you can do with only one move. As others have said check to see how much of a need there is in your area. A good grinder ( new or used ) can be expensive to buy, maintain , and repair.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Okrafarmer

I think your approach is wise, Bill. Around here, though, customers like to be told what the total will be before you start. With $100 minimum, a lot of grinders would starve around here for lack of work. I think our current guy has a $50 or $60 minimum.

clww

I would check your local market, as suggested. There are lots of grinders around our local area, which is why I didn't pursue it when I was doing tree removal.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

s grinder

There's no dought about it,a tree service company can make more money per day doing tree work than grinding stumps.At $48.00 a foot and being a one man operation i can make money.Although i don't have a min.i won't go out to do $50 or $60 dollar job unless it's a neighbor or friend,most of the time i can match the $100.00 hr. figure, thats about all the market will bear in this area.

Okrafarmer

$50 or $60 won't buy as much in Massachusetts as it does here, so that makes sense. Almost everything is cheaper here, except maybe lobster.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!