iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Really surprised...

Started by HiTech, November 23, 2013, 04:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

Took some logs to the mill and they took them all. In the past they would always put some back on the truck they didn't want. We figured that about a 1/3 of what we took would be returned for firewood. Must be the need for cherry sawlogs is high. There were some hard and soft maple along with some yellow birch but most was cherry. Not sure what the payday will bring...but it has to be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Also I have never seen the log yard that empty. Maybe this whole tree chipping is causing a shortage...who knows.

Mark K

The mill I contract for isnt refusing much anymore. We might be talking about the same mill. Im on my own sale now. They have a bunch of orders for cherry. Paying decent for soft and hard maple too.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Kemper

Seems so crazy to hear you guys talk about mills refusing logs. I don't think I've ever heard of it. I would take my wood somewhere else if they pulled that here, but if all mills were doing that what could you do.

Mark K

I should have said thet arent as picky. They use to leave alot of scragg logs on my jobs. Also logs below 10". Now there taking everything.  Down to almost 8". Prices seem to be firming up too.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Peter Drouin

When I buy logs I tell the logger what I have  a market for . Mine is hemlock and some pine. That way I don't have lumber I can't move . I think most mills are like that. I know loggers that send loads of logs of all one kind of wood to the mills and not mix loads. So I tell them the length and size so they can cut to my needs. Like I don't want 14' logs. I think It helps us all to make money.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!